Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Nice tweaking guide

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Interesting, maybe I misunderstood, but wasn't the basic idea of DT to get rid of all that config file tweaking...?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Interesting, maybe I misunderstood, but wasn't the basic idea of DT to get rid of all that config file tweaking...?

For as long as it is possible - someone will always fine tune. For some it's an important part of the hobby. Is it possible to squeeze the lemon even more?  :wub:

(It's really a good thing - it can lead to innovation).

I see no need to tweak anything right now, but everything is also very basic. If they start adding scenery and more complex planes it will be the same tweak nightmare all over again.

• Upvote 1

Is it possible to squeeze the lemon even more? :wub:

(It's really a good thing - it can lead to innovation).

Quite right. I've been tweaking for as long as I can remember, going back to games before the flight sim bug got me. I love poking around and seeing what makes programs tick, and there has often been cases of enabling hidden features, extending or finding the ability to fine tune settings unavailable via the UI.

And yes it leads to innovation, such as some of the shader mods we are seeing for P3D at the moment. I'm also sure programs like SHADE and FSWC and even big names like REX all started with someone messing about and tinkering with stuff first.

That's really the main reason I bought Flightschool... to see how much of FSX is retained, what is improved, and what can be tweaked.

With that said, I would NOT recommend that video.  That guy is messing with settings he could not possibly have thoroughly tested and many probably have no effect.  It's pretty clear he doesn't have a clue about what he's doing.

The only Nvidia Inspector Anti-Aliasing parameter that seems to have any impact on Flight School is Transparency Supersampling (which I set to 4x SGSS in combination with "Enhance the Application Setting".

The general "Antialiasing - Setting" (which is actually multisampling) has no effect in Flight School.  If anyone doesn't believe me, try turning off the Anti-Aliasing in the Sim UI and tell me how that Nvidia Inspector multisampling is performing.

The only other parameter I use in NI is Vertical Sync at 1/2 refresh rate.  This has the biggest impact on the visuals by eliminating tearing (along with a frame rate limit of 30 in the fsc.cfg). 

Using these tweaks removes airport buildings .. the tweaks might need tweaking...

Most of those tweaks are outdated. The SmallPartRejectRadius essentially says don't render anything smaller than 4 pixels. Which is kind of useless on today's fast hardware. It might also mess up some of the particle effects.

The MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS is also outdated, because DX11 uses instancing for rendering. Might be useful for FSX under DX9 though. 

If Flight School is based off of FSX Steam Edition, it automatically adjusts the buffer pool size and number of CPU cores to match your system, so there's no need for that either. 

Tweaking was certainly required in my case. Out of the box I tried to fly the cub from Palo Alto to Napa and it was a stutterfest, frequently dropping down to 5 FPS and bad screen tearing in full screen mode.

I reduced some of the sliders and that helped, then proceeded to set up NVI and then adjusted the affinity mask, LOD radius, and WideViewAspect and a few other settings in the config file. Made a huge difference, now it's running smoothly and looking very nice.

Of course we think nothing of that sort of tweaking with FSX but I was hoping that FS would be better tuned out of the box.

Barry Friedman

No tweak, no joy!  :smile:

simmers always like to manipulate / change / create; is part of the hobby.

• Upvote 1

simmers always like to manipulate / change / create; is part of the hobby.

It's also a customer support nightmare when people are doing all sorts of funky things under the hood.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Using these tweaks removes airport buildings .. the tweaks might need tweaking...

Here be Dragons.....   :Party:

It's rather pointless to even try to adjust the AI "Airliner" traffic since there aren't but TWO "AI aircraft" in Flight School, and they are both GA... :LMAO:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

OOps!

Maybe, delete the original link ?

Sorry for that...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...