Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

FSNAV Glideslope Data

Guest SuperFortress

While examining the KJFK and KLGA ILS's I noticed that FSNavigator states that the glideslope altitude is 1600. Does this indicate that during an ILS approach the glideslope for these airports should be intercepted below 1600 ft? My last question is how come when I look up these airports on WWW.AIRNAV.COM I do not see any kind of reference to 1600 ft? Is this number a specific value only relative to FS9 and/or FSNavigator and does not apply in the real world? Thank you.

FSNav gives the glideslop altitude at 5 miles distance(for every glideslope) mainly for flight planning purposes. This has nothing to do with the published procedures. If you are using approach charts just follow the altitudes on them and you'll be ok.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpgwww.sstsim.com

The 1600 may be the final approach fix. In that area the minimum structural altitude depending on direction of arrival is 2000 to 2500 feet. That should be you altitude when intercepting the localizer portion. You may be required based on DME distance to drop down further as you get closer on final to intercept the GS from below, about 1900 feet being the closest intercept at LGA.Enter the three letter (without the K) at the FAA site below to download/view the current approach plates (plus STARS, DPs, and Airport Diagrams) to get the vertical profile off the plate. The "X" is the final approach fix which can be very close. You must intercept by that but hopefully further out.http://naco.faa.gov/digital_tpp.asp?ver=04...4&end=5-13-2004

Guest SuperFortress

Thank you guys. That actually brings me to another question. Does FS9 actually follow real world approach charts to the letter or it simply uses a few variables from them and the rest we fly on our own for the sake of correct procedures?

Yes and no.If you bring up the approaches in the default GPS - you will see they match the real world charts very well - at least those from the fall of 2003.The no part is that the default ILS approach is a "Vectors to final" - which sequences AI and user aircraft for a 5 mile separation at the IAF point. However, FS can only project out four separation points straight out from the IAF. Thus if more than five aircraft are inbound - some separation points get assigned more than one aircraft at the same time.And FS has no mechanism in it's current version to MAINTAIN separation.If you choose an alternate approach - even a transition for an ILS approach - you will be given information to fly a much closer to real world procedure. However, you must have enough knowledge to fly the approach without being told every single heading change.