Sign in to follow this  
shally17

Video ram - Does it make a difference?

Hello,

I am currently still using a GTX 680 with 2GB of video ram. At times I have objects only partially drawing such as when looking at my plane at the gate I only see wings and wheels. Would upgrading to a card such as a GTX 970 with 4GB of DDR5 RAM improve this problem and/or improve frame rates? I have my i7 3770 overclocked to 4.0 GHz so don't think I can make much gain with a new mobo and CPU.

I should have mentioned this is in FSX.

I doubt it, FSX is a 10 year old game and the VRAM available at that time wasn't even close to what we have today. I thinking your issue has more to do with either drivers or FSX.cfg configuration.

But if you play X-plane, VRAM could very well be the limiting factor when you have a fast card and you crank up the sliders. I'm considering getting the GTX 1080 for the 8GB VRAM, as well as better Oculus Rift (90fps) capabilities.

For FSX and assuming a single monitor, probably not much improvement if any.  If you're running multiple monitors, the added memory may help and if you ever move to P3D you'll probably find significant  improvement.

Scott