He is absolutely right.

P3D is 70% cpu dependent and just 30% gpu dependent.

To see if you might benefit from a 1080 :

Resize your P3D window from screensize to a small window.

- If you see your framerate going up then a faster card might help.

- if your framerate stays the same a faster card will not do much

Hi GSalden -- when I run 720p resolution I get approximately 40-50 FPS. When I switch to 1080p the resolution drops to ~24-30p. 

Right now running a Nvidia 970; I take it from your word upgrading to a 1070 would be beneficial? 

Also would like in the future to have a wrap around views, so this new technology in to 10xx cards (perspective, warping) would be very helpful if I need to run multiple P3D windows. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Hi GSalden -- when I run 720p resolution I get approximately 40-50 FPS. When I switch to 1080p the resolution drops to ~24-30p. 

Right now running a Nvidia 970; I take it from your word upgrading to a 1070 would be beneficial? 

Also would like in the future to have a wrap around views, so this new technology in to 10xx cards (perspective, warping) would be very helpful if I need to run multiple P3D windows.

It looks as you might benefit from a faster card if the difference is that big.

With every card the framerate will go down when the resolution goes up, but if the difference is that big you will benefit from a faster card.

I am using a Titan X with 3 seperate views and have a nice performance.

LM has optimized multimonitor usage : now with 2 extra undocked views you will have the same perfromance as with 1 undocked view in prior v3.2 versions.

Regarding the distortion fix I do not know if It is working. Perhaps a game needs to be made ready for it ...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

The biggest change I had recently had in my P3D experience, was moving to a Skylake CPU
Hmm, from which generation that you moved up from?  I am running an i7-2700K right now@4.8Ghz, which is ancient.  I have been holding off since the review on Skylake is spotty compared with Devil Canyon (i7-4790K?).  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I upgraded from a 2500k to devils canyon and there is a big difference in performance. If you haven't already done so upgrade to DC or skylake.

I just installed 2 in one of my gaming rigs. It gets impressive benchmark performance and does very well in my 3440x1440 Ultrawide screen gaming, but had little to no impact on P3D vs the GTX980ti's that they replaced. The biggest change I had recently had in my P3D experience, was moving to a Skylake CPU. That was like night and day for me coming from a 6 core previous generation processor. 

by previous gen do you mean i7 5820k (haswell) ? also did you see any difference with the reduction of cores ? slower scenery loading or anything at all?

i am planing to get the new 6 core broadwell-e (coming soon) ... would like to know how your experience with 2 extra cores was

kind regards,

jaff

by previous gen do you mean i7 5820k (haswell) ? also did you see any difference with the reduction of cores ? slower scenery loading or anything at all?

i am planing to get the new 6 core broadwell-e (coming soon) ... would like to know how your experience with 2 extra cores was

kind regards,

jaff

No, it was a 3960x, a older Hexacore. My photoshop and lightroom work goes a little slower due to the loss of cores, but gaming wise, I notice no difference for the worse. FSX and P3D have never run better, especially P3D v3.2. Now if I could only solve those pesky OOM's!  :nea:

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Guru 3D reviewed the 1070 here: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review,1.html. It looks to be up there with the 980ti and Titan X for much less money (and OEM versions are normally even faster).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It looks as you might benefit from a faster card if the difference is that big.

With every card the framerate will go down when the resolution goes up, but if the difference is that big you will benefit from a faster card.

I am using a Titan X with 3 seperate views and have a nice performance.

LM has optimized multimonitor usage : now with 2 extra undocked views you will have the same perfromance as with 1 undocked view in prior v3.2 versions.

Regarding the distortion fix I do not know if It is working. Perhaps a game needs to be made ready for it ...

What processor are you using? I haven't tried more than one view yet. 

Don't know if it is just my eyes, but don't really see much differences between 720 p and 1080p on the projected screen -- in fact 720 p seems to be clearer and the image more defined. 

So the big question is -- for projected images, do we really need multiple 1080p projectors, or will 720p do fine? 

Regards.

Processor : 5820@4.3 Ghz

When using a projector I suggest to use 1mm /pixel max.

So 1080 --> 1.08 m wide ( not diagonal )

Imho 4k is too sharp in the distance compared to reality.

But with 42" + screens it will help.

My setup : 40" - 32" - 32" at 5920x1080

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

No, it was a 3960x, a older Hexacore. My photoshop and lightroom work goes a little slower due to the loss of cores, but gaming wise, I notice no difference for the worse. FSX and P3D have never run better, especially P3D v3.2. Now if I could only solve those pesky OOM's!  :nea:

cool thanks ! OOMs i thought P3d v3.1 onwards the OOms were rare ? ....  "let me guess ..... you want 64- bit" ?  :P

I had couple off 1080GTX founders edition on order but have cancelled order since the throttling issues ... need to get more data on what that is about before I get them for my test PC.

Cheers, Rob.

I had couple off 1080GTX founders edition on order but have cancelled order since the throttling issues ... need to get more data on what that is about before I get them for my test PC.

Cheers, Rob.

The reviews of any of the EVGA models with the new ACX 3.0 coolers seem to indicate they are *definitely* the way to go.  Far far better cooling performance (as expected of course)

I'm still running a triple monitor setup (5910x1080) on a GTX780 with 3Gb of VRAM. I'm wondering if I would see a significant boost in performance in Surround view... Because now, especially on a cloudy day, I have a significant fps hit when going from single monitor to surround view. In this case a stronger GPU should help. Does anyone with triple monitor setups have some hepful info on that?

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, 

I think you're misunderstanding what thermal throttling really is. Many users are reporting Boost clock variation due to high temperatures. It is 100% normal for boost clocks to lower at temps exceeding 82 degrees on the GTX 1080.  I've yet to see a case where "throttling" really occurs. Throttling would occur only if the GPU under clocked below its factory base clock. What you are seeing is people complaining who bought FE cards and they cant achieve high overclocks on the core... greater than 2100MHZ without the chip "thermal throttling" below the user defined clock speed. They are not actually "throttling" below the factory base clock. 

https://youtu.be/wmfMfhRI6To?t=5m48s

I think you're misunderstanding what thermal throttling really is.

No, I understand thermal throttling, but I didn't know about the OC circumstances being introduced by end users ... good to know it's OE (operator error) and not a design issue.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: with that said, I think I'll wait for EK to come out with full water blocks for the 1080 that allow for nVidia's new SLI HB bridge, odd that EK would not design a block to support the new SLI bridge?