Sign in to follow this  
RW1

Active Sky Weather Engine Preview

I'm wondering... since there is really no way to recoup VAS (used memory devoted to FSX) when the program is running, will loading new textures just result in increased memory usage?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'd rather pay $30 to fix "popcorn" cloud  bug once and forever instead of auto texture-injection. It's not problem to do this manually

I'd rather pay $30 to fix "popcorn" cloud bug once and forever

The fantastic freeware RealismShaderPack program fixed them for me. clouds never looked as good.

auto texture-injection. It's not problem to do this manually

If it were that easy, we ALL would have been doing it YEARS ago.

Yup, I can see it now - pause sim - find new textures - backup old textures - copy new textures - unpause sim - reload weather.

Not hardly..

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It's pretty inefficient that we have two run two different weather programs, one for the engine and one for textures. This is a great idea, looking forward to it.

You actually don't.. One is a texture program, not a weathee program...

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

Just a quick note that we'll be revealing more info at FSCON (as well as a full demo everyone can try themselves) and plenty more to follow that.  Regarding "instant change": when you initiate a change manually you'll want to see that change instantly, but not during auto changes, so it would be ideal to have both instant and smooth, right?  Kind of how Smooth Theme Reloads work.  We've put immense amounts of work into all of this and are looking forward to showing everyone.  With a very short teaser video there wasn't enough room to show off much at all, but that will all come very soon.  Thanks!

• Upvote 13

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

When is FSCON?

June 11-12

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Hi Damian,

Instead it would make more sense to instantly change the weather , but not from the aircraft position, but a few miles out.And then interpolate a gradual change from current location..that way you don't have clouds in front of you disappear out of the scene..

You actually don't.. One is a texture program, not a weathee program...

you wrote, quoting my comment: "one for the engine and one for textures". Thank you for pointing out that the program I said was a texture program is a texture program!

As most people are aware, AS Next does not provide cloud textures, hence the need for a second program. Previous versions of HiFi's weather software that I have owned have included this function - and the key point of this thread is that their upcoming software will again include this feature, potentially obviating the need for a separate cloud texture program and allowing for greater integration between engine and graphics.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

This.... this !!!!

a80gemw.png

So looking forward. ASN has been one of the best add-ons for FSX / P3D  , and countless updates too... This really is next level, looking forward!

I just hope it's a feature we will be able to keep enabled, performance wise.

As many knows, most folks already suffer performance issue when ASN autoupdate weather into sim, when it fade out old clouds and fade in new clouds, these 2 minutes when P3D has to deal with a double number of clouds.

Already had to use the volumize tweak to keep on using volumetric fog, and within ASN had to enable local weather update suppression.

I just really really really have high expectations that auto texture injection won't just kill the performance.

On the other hand, having cloud texture matching the wx context is definitely that last missing brick for perfect weather depiction, let's see.

I also hope there will be a discount plan for ASN users and also for those of us who already own an upgraded license from ASE.

Does anyone know if it's only the cloud textures that will change dynamically during the flight, or sky textures as well?  It would be cool to have the sky color slightly changing on a flight from, let's say, Scandinavia to the Caribbean islands. Another great idea would be to change the runway textures "en route" when flying from airport A to airport B. All of the current texture programs do have some nice runway textures, but they are static, which means that the installed texture is identical on all default airports worldwide. With the option to change runway textures dynamically, it would be possible to take off at an airport that has some worn and dirty runway textures, but seeing fresh and new textures at the destination airport.

• Upvote 1

Since FS9 only the cirrus textures can changed while simulator is running.

Activesky (before evolution) has done this in FS9,  its long ago.

so i think, to change cloud textures (Stratus or cumulus also) in P3D not possible without new start of the game.

but... lets see what to come. 

I'm wondering... since there is really no way to recoup VAS (used memory devoted to FSX) when the program is running, will loading new textures just result in increased memory usage?

You forget about FSXSE and P3D 3.x, both now cleans up unused VAS during the session.

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d