Sign in to follow this  
Grahm

Is my system to slow?

FSX SP2 with ASX on Windows 7 Home Premium Running a i5 2500K CPU @ 3.30GHZ 3.60GHZ 16GB RAM 1TB hard drive. Video Card is a  ATI Technologies AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series.

All my scenery settings in FSX are on low and im getting 25 to 50 fps with drops of 1.5 to 10fps in turbulence for some reason. (What I have noticed)

With all my settings up on HIGH im getting at most 15fps. Is it my system or my video card?

I would give anything to have a smooth running FSX with sliders to the max or even half way.

I have the same i5 2500K CPU but I run it at 4.7 Ghz along with a GTX980.

My advice is OC that i5 to at least 4.4 Ghz, you really are wasting the potential of that chip by not overclocking it  then invest in a GTX 970 or upwards, AMD cards are not that great in FSX compared to Nvidia.

FSX/DX10 and P3D3.2 run well here.

OC the CPU (may need a new cooler for that - CM 212 Evo would be fine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005O65JXI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1464558450&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=212+evo+cooler+master&dpPl=1&dpID=518BEXKEiiL&ref=plSrch )

After that id recommend GTX 960 as a minimum

• Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well coming to find out, it was a big heat issue. I've had it for years and never realized it. That explains why the frame rate drop. I have since cleaned off my heat sink and reapplied Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste and a HUGE night and day difference. I am currently running smooth at 60fps + @ maxed out in detail with a core temp of 50 degree Celsius at max load. I'm in love all over again! Heat Kills! I would still like to bump my clock up to 4.5ghz! I need a walk thru though. I also have that fan on the way! Thank you

Cleaning once or twice a year will help!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |