Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Return of U.S. battleships?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-first-look-at-americas-supergun-1464359194

Any comment on the likelihood that the railgun will lead to a return of longrange American battleships?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Read that yesterday. A rail gun that shoots a 25 lb. projectile out of a 32' long barrel at 4500 mph. Pretty cool!  And being all electric/magnetic, it takes the generating power that could run 18,750 homes. 

......it takes the generating power that could run 18,750 homes. ...

But what are the power requirements of a large warship's systems anyway?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I'm familiar with the weapons system and as a coincidence the last reactivation of the BB's. 

I worked weapon system program management for the US Navy, and from any perspective I can think of use the BBs for this weapon system is incredibly unlikely for many reasons that come to mind.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I think it's not so much a reactivation of BBs (Iowa, Missouri ?) rather production of new classes of battleships perhaps?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

But what are the power requirements of a large warship's systems anyway?

The article that I read ( probably the same), mentioned a warship that already has the generating capacity. 

• Upvote 1

The article that I read ( probably the same), mentioned a warship that already has the generating capacity. 

Yes, the system has already been tested at sea and last I knew it was to be installed on an active / deploying vessel

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

...fire wave motion gun!!

• Upvote 2

DDG 1000 (Zumwalt) which was just delivered to the USN is the first of a three-ship class that is the intended candidate.  Her commissioning date is set for 15 Oct 2016.  The question of utility comes down to gun vs missiles.

scott s.

The original question was not one of will they be used at sea. That is likely.

It was one of will it lead to the return of large battleships. That is unlikely. The world changed and the days of battleships like we used to have are long gone. Air power primarily led to the demise of them during the Second World War and they have been obsolete ever since.

That gun however will definitely see use once it is perfected and made more efficient it just won't be on a 'battleship'.

Chris