Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

BEV and Net Framework

Had I known what I now now I would not have installed BEV. It is a great program, no questions asked... And I had read previous messages about Net Framework and just ignored them.But this is a serious issue that this developer slipped into this program. Here's why.Since Net Framework, my machine (with Windows XP Home) has totally changed. First I have password boxes up for eveything I do. And I have Windows start and exit screens that I never wanted. It even triggered a password verification into MCAfee, when none was needed. Then I swear my mouse response from within Windows programs has slowed down quite a bit. But today was the last straw. When I signed in, Windows asked for an Adminstrators password of which there was none (since I never gave it one or ever messed with any of this). I was dead, and I was and am very very mad.I luckily rebooted to Safe Mode, and did a restore to just after the installation of BEV. That restore just took forever, but it worked, and at least got me back into my operating system.Now I gathered from going to the web on another machine and searching Google, the issue of being locked out without an administrators password is a serious problem. And especially serious since there is none I ever gave it so I have nothing to remember. It's "thank god" restore was still working, which isn't always the case, or I was facing an entire windows reinstall.While not the computer guru of some people here, those that said in previous posts that they absolutely do not want it on their machines are absolutely correct. There were no other changes or upgrades to this machine after BEV/Net Framework. The reality is. it just makes unauthorized operating changes to Windows.From what I've seen, I believe this company owes it's customers a patch to get it (NET.FRAMEWORK) the #### out.Mad As ####....

Guest ScottPilot

I don't see how .NET could be causing the issues you describe. The issues you are decribing are not necessarily from .NET, but the latest security patches that Microsoft released a week ago or so.The "CALL FOR HELP" TV show did a feature on these issues this last Saturday, and what you are describing is similair to what they were talking about.So, before you BASH the BEV developer you might want to do a little more research. The fact is .NET is going to become the mainstream with regards to Windows programming.Microsoft has already phased out VB support for .NET programming languages and C++ 6.0 may follow. My point is, whether we like it or not, .NET is here to stay, and many Windows developers, like BEV, will be using this new programming environment.Scott *:-*

"It just makes unauthorized operating changes to Windows." What about making you aware that your security on your system is not the best, if you haven't even set a password for you Administrator?Makes perfect sense.../irony offPeople seems to complain no matter what. Give 'em some new technology to improve security and add features and they'll complain. Do not produce the latest and best security patch within a few days and they'll complain as well.Relax, .NET would have hit your machine with the next Service Pack anyway or do you know all the hotfixes/extras that were applied to your machine with SP2? Probably not.

>>Since Net Framework, my machine (with Windows XP Home) has>totally changed.Sorry, I don't believe .NET has anything to do with your problems. I have had .NET installed for a long time (I could not use NASA's phenomenal World Wind program without it) and see none of the above.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Sorry, I also agree that .Net has nothing to do with any of those problem. I've noticed absolutely no changes since installing the .net framewrok.Like it or not, but .Net is going to become THE next developer environment for Windows programming.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest HepburnUGA

I agree with the others.....NET is not the cause of your woes. I will mention however, that if you didn't set the administrator password then just push enter because the password is blank...and send me your IP address when you get a minute :)Good luck!

Did you try hitting enter without any password? My wife's computer is set up that way. I have had net frame for a year and do not find any problems with it. Hope you find out what is going on.Bob...

BobP - I tried every reasonable combination, including nothing, Enter alone, just one space, my name (many ways), a password I almost always use for other things, etc. Reading on the web, if you don't have an Administrator Password, and can not do a restore from safe mode, you are in big trouble. I've never been prompted for a password for anything at any time. That's why I was pizzzed !******************************************************UpdateIt is possible that I acted a little hasty with this post, so here is an update.My system did go bad just as I described, just after installing BEV.But I did not do a reboot until a day or so later. All of the problems first appeared after that first reboot. So I naturally assumed that it was a NET.Framwork issue since others have complained and I hadn't installed anything else. Then when I did another reboot today, the Administrator "total lockout" blew my mind. There were other lesser abnormal things that I did not mention. Now I mentioned that I did a "Restore" from Safe mode to a point right AFTER I installed BEV. But I was so mad about facing a possible 18 hour reinstall of Windows and all over this whole thing, I wrote this message before trying another reboot from that point.Now... I am back to a position (time frame) right after BEV and Net.Framework were installed. But when I do a reboot now, all appears ok both going out of Windows and coming back in.Now I do have windows updates turned off, so something must have gone wrong, from the time I installed BEV, until I did that first reboot about 24 hours later. Or something got set wrong during the installation of net.framework that set up all kinds of crazy password window requirements including an Administrator password that I never entered.But at least for now, it appears back to normal except for the welcome screen which I never have used before and have never turned on. It's on now !Bob Bob (Lecanto, Fl)

>When I signed in, Windows asked for an>Adminstrators password of which there was none (since I never>gave it one or ever messed with any of this). I was dead, and>I was and am very very mad..NET or not...maybe I am wrong but isn't it a REAL BAD idea to not have an admin password? This means your computer is comprimised and open to anyone to be able to hack in whether at home or through the internet no? Again I am not sure but felt this might be worth asking becuase I was always told to BE SURE you have a password or people can do bad things to your computer...

Guest HepburnUGA

Well, realistically I think most people log in through the screen where it lists multiple names/icons on the screen. I also believe most people don't set passwords for family members, and, since Windows sets up all new accounts as Admins, you're wide open.I have heard that Vista has this fixed, but in the meantime you can setup XP to require a username and password, and setup users as users rather than admins.Glad you got your PC back...mine's on the fritz also!

Hi Guys,In case you missed the update, the new Configuator II is in developement and should be available in the next several weeks. It will not use NET, mostly because of all the negatively around it. What's interesting, is that decision has taken some criticism on the BEV forums, probably waranted, in that by not using NET the wheel has to be reinvented for many functions, and could lead to a buggier product as more code has to be written.I guess you can't win either way. :)Tony =http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpg

Guest artmartin

I have to agree with the others. I, as a programmer, am being forced kicking and screaming into a .NET programming environment even though I need none of its features and increased complexity to create the non-Internet business applications I make to ensure my paycheck keeps coming. I will need .NET though. Microsoft will see to that so I'm slowly making the adjustments as we all will. That said, the things you describe don't sound at all like they're coming from an install of .NET. Basically what you get is just a whole new set of .dlls and files that can be used by a program that expects them. I'm pretty sure they don't overwrite anything you currently have on your machine and shouldn't affect any other program that could care less about them. I've not only installed .NET but also the entire MS .NET programming environment on the machine I use for FS and have never seen one of those symptoms. So, don't blame the BEV folks. If there's finger pointing to do about having to live with constant tweaks to the operating system, it should be aimed at MS although I'm sure their intentions are honorable as well. Art

Guest aca_dia

Been running Net since I got NASA World Wind and I think that was well over a year ago now. Never had a single problem or any of the issues you mention.

I installed the .Net framework with BEV and now I think I gained weight, my kids won't listen to me any more, the price of gas is going up, and I think my wife is cheating on me. #### MICROSOFT....