I am trying to install X-Plane10 on a very newish install of Ubuntu 15.1 (x64)

I have followed this guide:

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=linux-installation-walkthrough

but with the installer for X-Plane 10:

http://www.x-plane.com/update/installers10/X-Plane10InstallerLinux.zip

and set up the link using

ln -s /usr/lib32/libopenal.so.1 /usr/lib32/libopenal.so.0

The issue is that X-Plane will not start unless no sound is chosen (whereby it runs fine though quietly).

I have looked through the logs and also the Cycle Dump file and can find no reference to where X-Plane is looking.

There are several references to a 'mesa' library but that is apparently already in Ubuntu.

With a scenery heavy install approaching 50Gb (as I had on Windows) I find it crazy that X-Plane will not ship with its own required libraries of a few Mb if it is insistent of using older versions.

I am trying to install X-Plane10 on a very newish install of Ubuntu 15.1 (x64)

I have followed this guide:

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=linux-installation-walkthrough

but with the installer for X-Plane 10:

http://www.x-plane.com/update/installers10/X-Plane10InstallerLinux.zip

and set up the link using

ln -s /usr/lib32/libopenal.so.1 /usr/lib32/libopenal.so.0

The issue is that X-Plane will not start unless no sound is chosen (whereby it runs fine though quietly).

I have looked through the logs and also the Cycle Dump file and can find no reference to where X-Plane is looking.

There are several references to a 'mesa' library but that is apparently already in Ubuntu.

With a scenery heavy install approaching 50Gb (as I had on Windows) I find it crazy that X-Plane will not ship with its own required libraries of a few Mb if it is insistent of using older versions.

Best to take this to the .org as there are a large number of Linux users there...http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/forum/2-technical-support-cubbys-corner/

I have it linked like this:  

/usr/lib32$ ls -lirt /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenal*
921675 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     19 mei 12  2015 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenal.so.1 -> libopenal.so.1.16.0
921674 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 446536 mei 12  2015 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libopenal.so.1.16.0

The link you provided is talking about X-Plane 9 and ubuntu 9.04. 
I think you can forget about it now, things have vastly improved.

As you see the link is from 2015, don't ask me details ;-) .

Did you try just running the installer and let it do its thing ?
You must download the latest installer, not the one that came with the DVDs.

Thanks and yes as said I used to the X10 installer and was simply referring to the guide regarding the openal issue to show I was aware of the requirement to create the soft link. This is the problem - it does not seem to be picked up by XP10.

Could you clarify your link command - it does not work - ls means list directory ? Which you show but nothing refers to libopenal.so.0

To confirm I downloaded the latest installer and let it 'do its thing' as per initial post.

I also disagree that things are improved when new releases of software use obsolete libraries. I have read vastly trying to fix this - it appears Ubuntu is the developers choice of Linux, however they are not developing to the modern Ubuntu release.

Surely at least the beta versions should attempt to load openal.so.1 or actually have it included locally(indeed the version for windows is included locally). Its further weird that the whole xplane project originates from Linux but now is broken on it.

I appreciate the developers spend much time on it but surely some response in this backwards facing situation should be made - most forum posters appear to just be ignored regarding this issue.

It cannot really be described as a simulation when its silent.

The fact that the developers are also silent when people purchase their product and highlight major problems is also worrying.

First install with synaptic openal.

Then cd to the directory with libopenal and link like above:

ln -s libopenal.so.1 libopenal.so

I guess you're messing 32bit and 64bit libs.

This is how it looks on my 15.10:

----

michael@michael-ubuntu:/$ cd /usr/lib/x86_64-li*
michael@michael-ubuntu:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$ ls -la libopenal*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     14 Mai 12  2015 libopenal.so -> libopenal.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     19 Mai 12  2015 libopenal.so.1 -> libopenal.so.1.16.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 446536 Mai 12  2015 libopenal.so.1.16.0
michael@michael-ubuntu:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$ pwd
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
michael@michael-ubuntu:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$

Nope I already have that - is the fact its on a different drive to the Ubuntu install significant ? Does anyone know of existing bug?

Gonna try default options install and soft link the Scenery library back to the intended seperate disk.

Well Austin Meyers according to about the 1000th forum I have read is to busy to make the product he is selling actually work.

Its using OLD OLD OLD libraries and failing without actually logging where its looking for libraries to allow a fairly competent user to correct this or at least follow forum posts along side program output - but no it just fails - poor programming practice.

And now with a last attempt by re-installing Ubuntu and then X-Plane it will not even install - stating Graphics driver issues - same system, same successful other programs but X-Plane.

FACE IT - AUSTIN MEYER IS SELLING BROKEN SOFTWARE AND TOO BUSY TO FIX IT ON A MACHINE THAT HAS BEEN CREATE SINCE OPENAL.SO.0 WAS MADE ******* OBSELETE ******

Now it will not even work without sound - it will not install.

So what is AUSTIN MEYER so busy with - a ZX Spectrum ?

Credit to him - I am so angry about a great project that is grinding to a halt.

WAKE UP AUSTIN.

Actually, if you have a fresh installed Ubuntu, you will be running default drivers for your video card.
For Nvidia, this would be the Nouveau driver. And this driver is missing the 3D acceleration needed by X-Plane.

You must select one of the properiety drivers under the settings menu:
  Settings > Repositories > Additional Drivers tab 

You can also chose more recent drivers from a special ppa, see this article:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/08/ubuntu-nvidia-graphics-drivers-ppa-is-ready-for-action .

Your issue is with the OS, in this case Linux, not X-Plane.

The same for your problems with the libopenal.so.

I remember when I installed X-plane the first time, I also had no sound, linking the libopenal solved it. But you must find out where it is installed, and what to link.

The problem is with the maintainers of libopenal, 32 and 64 bit should work equaly well out of the box.

The state of those APIs and drivers is indeed not Laminar's business, if they fix it on one distribution, it will not work on another.

This is exactly why I do not recommend Linux to mainstream users, they are better off with Windows or Mac.

But I also have some good news, Ubuntu is working on a system where it will be possible to install and run the required apis and libs in a sandboxed environment, the developer will then be able to include the required modules, without worrying about dependies.

• Upvote 1

It works here so you're doing something wrong! Sorry, but first clean your garden before shouting at others. Next time attach your xp log.txt. For basic questions ask in a Linux forum or stick with Windows.

CyberMike, not so harsh. It is one of the reasons why Linux users are so lonely :-).
Of course, BaronVonCrashedOften is not exactly nice towards Laminar in this.
But I understand why he gets frustrated. Been there, done that.
It took me several tries from 1999 until 2010 before I made the final switch to Linux.

Linux has improved a lot under Ubuntu and Fedora, but requires still a lot of patch work.
For example, one of my Wifi dongles works out of the box/doesn't work/works again out of the box/doesn't work between several upgrades of Ubuntu :dance: .
Luckily I have bookmarked the driver that always works, but it breaks just as easy with the next patch round.

Best chance to find a solution is this X-plane dedicated Linux forum:
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/forum/49-x-plane-linux/

The sound problems you are experiencing looks a lot like this here: 
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/75908-installing-x-plane-10-on-ubuntu-1404-64-bit/&page=1

Another one talking about linking libopenal.so correctly:
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/92337-ubuntu-32bits-issue/#comment-982240

32bit libs are not needed anymore. Install with synaptic libopenal and nvidia.

Thanks all so far - and yes excuse (most of my earlier rant) but yes jh71 is correct its FRUSTRATING.

I am now a fairly competent Linux user and prefer its usual simplicity over constant Windows bloated OS which in this context I should be able to get optimal performance when needed by killing the desktop process and launching X-Plane from Terminal.

My main point is that really X-Plane should at least be logging failures eg "I looked for OpenAl library file libopenal.so.0 here [...] and could not find it " even if not shipping with required libraries.

It would then be easy to 'locate libopenal*' and make a link to the appropriate location X-Plane is looking - a 2 minute job so hence my anger.

Currently making a startup USB for latest Ubuntu 16 as want a machine to trial migrate stuff to PHP 7 (seperate requirement) and do not want to get stuck on Ubuntu 15 simply because of X-Plane.

HMMMM

I actually got sound working on Ubuntu 14, so the aim now to get it running on *16.

So fresh install of OS and XP and it updated and ran without error - but again without sound.

There has been some further release as the joystick now is auto detected and configured.

Also in log file:

OpenAL loaded: libopenal.so.1
OpenAL devices: OpenAL Soft
Open AL default device:OpenAL Soft
OpenAL vendor : OpenAL Community
OpenAL renderer  : OpenAL Soft
OpenAL version   : 1.1
OpenAL hardware  : OpenAL Soft
OpenAL extensions: ALC_ENUMERATE_ALL_EXT ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT ALC_EXT_CAPTURE ALC_EXT_DEDICATED ALC_EXT_disconnect ALC_EXT_EFX ALC_EXT_thread_local_context ALC_SOFTX_device_clock ALC_SOFTX_HRTF ALC_SOFT_loopback ALC_SOFTX_midi_interface ALC_SOFT_pause_device AL_EXT_ALAW AL_EXT_DOUBLE AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE AL_EXT_FLOAT32 AL_EXT_IMA4 AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE AL_EXT_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_MULAW AL_EXT_MULAW_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_OFFSET AL_EXT_source_distance_model AL_LOKI_quadriphonic AL_SOFT_block_alignment AL_SOFT_buffer_samples AL_SOFT_buffer_sub_data AL_SOFT_deferred_updates AL_SOFT_direct_channels AL_SOFT_loop_points AL_SOFT_MSADPCM AL_SOFT_source_latency AL_SOFT_source_length

where there was no referance to openall before.

So now what ?