Sign in to follow this  
BrianT

Win 7 - Win 10 re-install and setup

So I’ve decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to Win10 pro from Win 7pro. I have a server running win 10 and there are two laptops running it so it sorts of makes sense to make the switch on my main PC.

I intend to install FSX and all the stuff below on its own SSD and there is an SSD already there for the OS.

Now I’m not looking for a don’t do it/Do it type advice or “you should switch to P3d” (I’ve got too much money invested in FSX) but more along the lines of where to expect problems if any, and any other installation/setup advice you may feel relevant.

One other question that’s knowing away is does anyone know if I need to de-register any of this stuff before I shut it all down?

Thanks in advance and here’s the list

I’m running:

FSX deluxe I’ve also got FSX SE although I’ve not used it yet.

Scenery from ORBX

FTX Global Base

FTX Global Vector

FTX Open Landclass

Various Airports from UK2000 and ORBX

Pilots FSX Global MESH

Active Sky Next

Radar Contact v4.3

GSX

Rex Essentials plus OD

Various 3rd Party Aircraft PMDG/Aerosoft/Majestic/Real Air/A2A

FS2CREW for all of the above

Ultimate Traffic 2

DX10 Fixer

FSUIPC

EZDOC

Saitek X52 Pro

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Hey Brian,

If it Ain't Broke don't Fix it !!! If You are Happy with the way You're Flight Sim run's, Happy with its Performance, Win 10 Will Do Nothing to improve this, It can However Do a LOT to Mess it up !! I did the Up grade from Win 7 64bit to Win 10 64bit, It turned Fsx, Fsx se, and P3d 1.4 into a Slide show, I did improve things Somewhat by installing Updated Drivers, but Performance was No where near, Pre Win 10 ! I do believe if it was a Clean install and Not an Upgrade It would have probably been Ok, But the Upgrade was defiantly not for Me !! Having said all that, Reverting back to Win 7, was not difficult, and this is Where I'll stay !! - or - Try it and if You don't LIke it, Revert Back, but Don't Expect to much !! - Good Luck - Johnman B)  

Hey Brian,

If it Ain't Broke don't Fix it !!!

Thanks Johnman, but unfortunately It's been three years of trying this that and the other and it's borderline broke now and a good clear up/out is what's needed. So now's as good a time as any to make the leap.

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Make sure your sound card, graphics cards and joystick are Windows 10 compatible. Windows 10 downloaded on my machine and one of the many problems was that I had no sound. I eventually found that my Creative Soundblaster SD Audigy 7.1 sound card wasn't Windows 10 compatible and I couldn't download any updated drivers. I had to switch to on-board sound, or buy a new sound card. I've also not yet recovered my B777-200/300ER planes.

I think it's also screwed up my Logitech USB camera.

If you're installing on top of Windows 7 you're in for a lot of fun/grief.

Good luck!!

Bernard Walford

Make sure your sound card, graphics cards and joystick are Windows 10 compatible.

Thanks Bernard,

I'm good on the hardware front, It's really only the Software for FSX I'm concerned about. I will be doing a clean install though as upgrades tend to leave far too much poop behind!

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Win 10 Will Do Nothing to improve this

I can't really agree with this. I've noticed a huge improvement in FSX and on my PC in general since I upgraded.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I'd heard that Win10 is backwards compatible.... with almost everything. It appears one of my friends is misinformed..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Brian,

You will need a new key for RC4.3 of course. I hope the effort switching to 10 is worthwhile. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Brian,

You will need a new key for RC4.3 of course. I hope the effort switching to 10 is worthwhile. :smile:

Thanks Ray that's exactly the sort of information I'm looking for. It's long over due for a wipe and restart so even if I stick with 7 it needs to be done.

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png