Sign in to follow this  
irrics

Austin's thoughts on Oculus (Video)

Coincidentally Froogle posted this today. This is much more representative of what I experience in FlyInside.

Sure, I don't fly my 737 with it but for GA, warbirds and gliding it is fantastic.

Actually it is a great way of experiencing the inside of many aircraft including tubeliners. You get to feel exactly how small they are even if you aren't going to fly them. I've used it in the Lancaster and Mosquito cockpit to demonstrate how tight they really were. Same with the a2a warbirds - experiencing what it is actually like to be sat in the cockpit of these aircraft is incredible. DCS gives a similar experience. It is a snug place to be!

Chris
  • Upvote 3

Regarding gauge visibility, it should be great for flying helicopters because it doesn't require much of an instrument scan when flying VFR and using the Mark 1 Eyeball for altitude. As long as I can see the needles well enough to stay within limits on the torque and airspeed gauges, that's all I need for basic flying. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Wow! I'm now sold on this! That's pretty cool where you can just drag windows into the VR sim, that is absolutely impressive! I'm sort of disappointed, and a bit bewildered why Austin totally slammed this? Are they (Laminar Research) still planning on adding VR? After his recent comments I sort of have my doubts.

• Upvote 1

I'm sort of disappointed, and a bit bewildered why Austin totally slammed this?

I think it has to do with all of this seemingly happening *not* in the OpenGL world of X-Plane maybe?

It's a real shame as XPX users are absolutely tinkerers and something like Flyinside for X-Plane would make this highly usable and enjoyable right now....it's not "way down the road".  It will get better, of course like all things Tech, but there are amazing VR Flight Simming experiences to be had right now...just not in X-Plane sadly.  

Wow! I'm now sold on this! That's pretty cool where you can just drag windows into the VR sim, that is absolutely impressive! I'm sort of disappointed, and a bit bewildered why Austin totally slammed this? Are they (Laminar Research) still planning on adding VR? After his recent comments I sort of have my doubts.

if you think thats good. watch this. and yes he is using his real hands. unfortunately the video doesnt show it. and btw this is just a hack of putting two devices together. 

• Upvote 1

Why do we never seem to understand just how behind we are? This is where Outerra and VBS Blue are heading (not to mention the rest of the world)

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Austin has always been a tool.austin.jpg

Thanks for your very enlightened contribution to this discussion.

Why do we never seem to understand just how behind we are? This is where Outerra and VBS Blue are heading (not to mention the rest of the world)

As amazing as that demonstration is, it doesn't serve to illustrate how far behind we are, rather, it serves to illustrate what is possible to build with technology on a scale where your clients have unlimited budgets.

I would love to have that system, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have the financial resources of any of the folks on this page: https://bisimulations.com/showcase :smile:

I'm sure that the tech will eventually filter down to Bohemia's actual gaming level software, but I would think that it wouldn't impress their clients if that happened too soon.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Been at this flight simming a very long time, now I can add Star Citizen to the mix.

VR is amazing !!

It's incredible how immersive it is. It fools the brain into thinking your there. However at my age, as much as I would like it to be ready for prime time, it's NOT !

The screen resolution just isn't enough for serious flight simming. Not enough good game titles and game development, yet.

There is some very exciting "new" VR hardware technologies coming in the near future.

Many of the big tech companies are already working on it. 

Cheers

• Upvote 2

As amazing as that demonstration is, it doesn't serve to illustrate how far behind we are, rather, it serves to illustrate what is possible to build with technology on a scale where your clients have unlimited budgets.

I would love to have that system, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have the financial resources of any of the folks on this page: https://bisimulations.com/showcase :smile:

I'm sure that the tech will eventually filter down to Bohemia's actual gaming level software, but I would think that it wouldn't impress their clients if that happened too soon.

I don't think it requires that huge a budget, really: at least not considering the thousands of dollars people here spend on a regular basis for new hardware to drag those last few frames from our chosen sims.  :p0502:

Most of the pieces are already there, waiting to be assembled. The leap motion, the Oculus and its competitors, the newest graphics cards, especially the Nvidia 1000 series and its one-pass 3D technology......

Whats really missing is a sim fast enough to support all that, (which I suspect is Austins real complaint) and the software suite to bind it all smoothly together.

I don't believe the weak spot is the hardware: Its our sims and their framerates.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

the software suite to bind it all smoothly together.

That was exactly what I was meaning. Most hardware can be either commercially bought, or else hacked together / made to work, if you're skilled at that sort of thing.  But the software suite, and since you showed a demonstration of VBS3, I was directly referring to THAT particular software suite, is beyond our budgets. It exists, it's just not affordable for us as individuals at this point.

It's at a level where XXX (military/commercial/research) department says "We need to be able to fly 'this' aircraft over 'this' scenery in 'this' type of environment for 'this' purpose" and (in this instance) Bohemia says "Okay, here's our software platform, we'll customize it for your exact needs, and it'll be 'this' much".

At some point, the software might trickle down in a simplified, generic game form to us consumers.  But until then, it serves to exist as proof that the software isn't missing at all, it's just out of our league.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks for your very enlightened contribution to this discussion.

Well, actually this is not as unfitting as it seems. It can serve as an example for the "eccentric" personality that is often attributed to Austin. I would take everything Austin says with one or more grains of salt, and I would not interpret too much into this video. Who knows what he would say about VR next week.

• Upvote 3

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Well, actually this is not as unfitting as it seems. It can serve as an example for the "eccentric" personality that is often attributed to Austin. I would take everything Austin says with one or more grains of salt, and I would not interpret too much into this video. Who knows what he would say about VR next week.

You do realize that picture was taken as a part of Austin's "Corvette-Segway Challenge" About a decade ago right? The whole thing was tongue in cheek and I don't know how anyone would take that as evidence of his eccentricity. .