Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

X-Plane and a GTX 1080

Must be nice to be able to get six 1080's when every place I check is "sold out" with no estimate on availability.

Have ten total now. If you're interested in one due to stock issues send me a PM and I'm sure I can sell you one from EVGA.

Founder of X-Aviation

Have ten total now. If you're interested in one due to stock issues send me a PM and I'm sure I can sell you one from EVGA.

Thanks, Cameron.  I'm holding out for the "ti" version and lower prices than the so-called "founders" edition which was at least $100 overpriced.  It's just frustrating to have this big announcement and no one has any available unless you pre-ordered it.  Not NewEgg, not MicroCenter, not Amazon.  I'll wait for the faster version.  The SkyMaxx 3.2 version has eased my "out of VRAM" problems for a while and I'll limp along on 4GB.

• Upvote 2

I had to take a trip out to California for the past few days, but since then at the office I have a few more variants of the 1080 now in possession. They are:

EVGA/ASUS Founders Edition

EVGA SuperClocked

MSI Gaming X

Gigabyte G1

Will be interesting to see how these aftermarket boards perform.

Founder of X-Aviation

We have six 1080's coming in on Thursday here at the office. I can post some 980ti comparisons once they arrive.

Since you guys have had them for week or so, any results or opinions yet on performance increases from the 980ti?

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Since you guys have had them for week or so, any results or opinions yet on performance increases from the 980ti?

Hi Jim,

Apologies for the delay. It's been busy here as of late!

I have done some tests, and my opinion is very simple: Amazing.

The 1080 is a large increase over the 980ti on my wide screen setup (3440x1440).

I ran a series of pre-defined tests which differed from stressful testing to light testing. Tests where the cards are not being used to their full potential have the GTX 1080 and 980ti fairly close (1080 beating it by about 3-5 fps). However, in stressful testing with higher settings the 1080 begins to really shine. Increases were as high as 16fps.

I have attached an auto generated chart to show you each test result in X-Plane.

Best Regards,

Cameron

• Upvote 4

Founder of X-Aviation

I ran a series of pre-defined tests which differed from stressful testing to light testing. Tests where the cards are not being used to their full potential have the GTX 1080 and 980ti fairly close (1080 beating it by about 3-5 fps). However, in stressful testing with higher settings the 1080 begins to really shine. Increases were as high as 16fps.

Thanks for sharing those results, Cameron.  I guess the small effect of the 1080 in circumstances where the GPU isn't being loaded significantly is predictable. But interesting to see the performance increase under load in certain situations. I'm guessing that the tests where it showed low fps on the 980ti and only small gains on the 1080 were situations where the sim was CPU limited.

In the tests where it shows large improvements, what do you think the primary cause of the load being placed on the card is? Weather? AA? Shadows?

It's interesting that even where the 1080 only had 3 or 4 fps gain, that often still represented a 10% improvement.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The 1080 is a large increase over the 980ti on my wide screen setup (3440x1440).

Thanks Cameron!

Running the same resolution on 980 (not Ti) i'm eager to upgrade to 1080 once non-reference cards will become available again (late July / early August IIRC).

Regards,

Radek

I'm guessing that the tests where it showed low fps on the 980ti and only small gains on the 1080 were situations where the sim was CPU limited.

This, and also situations where the CPU and GPU's were keeping up with one another fine, but not being asked too much of them potential wise.

In the tests where it shows large improvements, what do you think the primary cause of the load being placed on the card is? Weather? AA? Shadows?

Fill-Rate/Weather/AA....all of it, really. There's a variety of setting adjustments in each test. Obviously 24 vs 40fps between the 980ti and 1080 shows the 1080 shining where the advertise it to do just that...on large resolution monitors with relatively heavy hitting settings!

I tend to upgrade every cycle, if not just to keep up with the times. The jump from 980 to 980ti in X-Plane was practically negligible. Safe to say the experience from 980ti to 1080 is quite a bit more sizable and worthy if you're using a widescreen monitor or 4k display.

Founder of X-Aviation

Wow, thanks for sharing that PDF Cameron.  Bumping from 24 -->40 is huge!  Very nice gain when things would start to get choppy on the 980ti.

Thanks again.

Many thanks Cameron for the information, I've recently migrated to XP10 and I love how the sim is so much more GPU bound compared to FSX/P3D, since graphics cards improve substantially in performance with every generation. I'm hitting the VRAM boundary with my 4GB 980 so an upgrade to a 8GB 1080 would be great, but I'm waiting for prices to stabilize first.

One of the great things with the 1080 is support for VR. I have a Rift CV1 and I hope the X-Plane team will someday include native support for VR (Someone asked about VR during the FlightsimCon presentation, but the video got cut off). I understand that FlyinsideFSX will release an XP10 VR addon, but I've tried it with FSX and it didn't work out - FlyinsideFSX interferes with the DRM on practically all my payware addons and I think it will happen again with XP10, with stuff like Gizmo and SASL etc.

FlyinsideFSX interferes with the DRM on practically all my payware addons and I think it will happen again with XP10, with stuff like Gizmo and SASL etc.

I'd be VERY surprised if it did interfere with anything. 

XP with Gizmo & Sasl is a lot more *harmonious* in that regard imo.

I'd be VERY surprised if it did interfere with anything. 

XP with Gizmo & Sasl is a lot more *harmonious* in that regard imo.

FlyinsideFSX runs like a sandbox window for FSX. You start FlyinsideFSX and it seems to load FSX inside of itself, and this messes up DRM in areas like Hardware ID etc. This seems like the only way all non-native VR 'mods' work.

Interesting to read the results.  I am running a 980ti (3440x1440) and am tempted, but am still going to wait for the 1080ti version if and when it gets released.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Couldn't resist, Just ordered a GTX1080 :dance:  Thanks Cameron for the input.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.