Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

I am sold... again...

I'm a b$$ch regarding flight simulators, I know...

After the dismay ( I must confess I was somehow disappointed ) with DTG Flight School, I decided to give p3d latest v3 release a go.

I had bought a monthly subscription license in November 2015, run it for a week, and then moved again to DCS and IL2, but this time I was willing to confirm if indeed there was good performance after the last patch.

Used the basic tweaks:

- Just AM and FFTF in p3d.cfg, and max texture to 2048.

- fixed fps at 30 in the sim, and no vsync in sim

- in NI I set 1/2 refresh rate, 4 x sgss to match the 4 aa in sim...

Went flying, first the default Bonanza, then my Carenado B1900d ( the only Carenado I ever bought for FSX / P3D and I really love, from the looks to the feels... ), and then my mad acquisition of November 2015 - the PMDG 777, that I already had, offered to me by Alexis :-), and costed $130 - the most expensive add-on for a flight simulator I ever bought !

Well, all I can say is that I had absolutely no stutters, really appreciated the default weather effects, which in terms of wind shear and turbulence do appear an upgrade from FSX, and am very satisfied with it.

Will probably not invest in any further tweaking ( I have a stable and smooth 30 FPS, and nice shadows - something I really don't care about, but are welcomed anyway :-) )

Will wait for the PMDG 747-400 to be relased. I know I will have to pay more for the PMDG version, but now that I see the benefits I don't mind, and I really have to have that gorgeous Queen again in my hangar :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Will probably not invest in any further tweaking

So you need to update your name to the installer.... the less tweaks the better, i run AM and nothing else, try running DSR in 4k if your GPU can do it and then drop using the NI, you actually get frame rates back and no shimmers at all...

tpewpb-6.png

Oliver, Flight School didn't last long. Was more a proof of concept, and some way of supporting DTG's initiative, but honestly, I was disappointed :-( and that had an impact on my expectations towards their Flight Simulator...

Yes Jaime, P3D v3, latest release, is way smoother and nicer than FSX:SE in my rig ( i5 2500 @ 3,2 GHz + GTX 960 4 Gb GDDR5 ).

Rick, I think the GTX 960 could do it. I tried that long ago with il2 Cliffs of Dover, with a GTX 650, and was positively impressed, so, your suggestion is certainly something I should try, but right now, and even with almost no tweaking, P3D is so smooth and nice looking, compared to FSX, that I think I will simply enjoy flying the B1900d and the PMDG 777 200 :-)

The monthly license doesn't heart, at just $9, and paying $199,00 is danger for a guy like me :-)

I really have to change my ID but I am unable - have to wait until the time limit expires, and will revert back to "jcomm" - after all, everybody knows jcomm = the installer/uninstaller freak...

BTW: My biggest doubt right now is if I should install ORBX FTX Global or stay with the default scenery. The rendering with the shadows and colours in P3D and even the amount of autogen and it's smooth depiction are so convincing that I really fear ending up with some surprise regarding lower fps ?  Should I give FTX Global a go ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I only can agree. After tinkering with Flight School during the last days I fired up my fully stuffed Prepar3d again. I know it's a very unfair comparison, but I doubt DT will be able to reach this level withing the next 3 years, let alone surpass it. And rest assured, LM will certainly further develop Prepar3d within these 3 years as well.

On the other hand, while AeroflyFS2 is all but ready, too, I found it a quite refreshing approach, and I will definitely go on using it and support its development. It has something really immersive indeed.

King regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Yes Michael,

I am closely following Aerofly FS v2. I had v1, and the flight dynamics and wind / turbulence effects were some of the best I ever experienced in a sim.

I would really like to see Aerofly v2 getting the necessary support from IPACS in the next months, so that users can decide to invest on it. It's not going to be our go to flight simulator for a "hardcore" session, but the flight dynamics and immersive scenery it certainly jhas a lot of potential, specially if an aircraft model is carefully designed.

P3D v3 will be my 777 and in the future 744 refuge :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

My experience with DTG Flight School lasted 3 hours or so. I can't go far with a Piper anyway, and the world quickly becomes too large to explore with it.

My final opinion is, if this was FSX on release, it would be a great simulator. Nowadays it requires a lot of work to impress and that's what i expect from the final version, as they seem to be on the right path.

Best of luck to them, i loved seeing DTG FS using ~6GB of memory :)

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I don't make any tweaks to the P3D.cfg file. I really don't think that they are needed.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

lmao

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

lmao

You should try p3d v3 latest release Zulfi....  Really !

Just look at this!

Main Simulation Rig:

You should try p3d v3 latest release Zulfi....  Really !

I don't have that kinda money :) and still feel its MSFS based and does not have OSM coverage and it's 32 bit and a few things which can't be discussed here , don't know maybe in the future.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

BTW: My biggest doubt right now is if I should install ORBX FTX Global or stay with the default scenery. The rendering with the shadows and colours in P3D and even the amount of autogen and it's smooth depiction are so convincing that I really fear ending up with some surprise regarding lower fps ?  Should I give FTX Global a go ?

You should absolutely give it a go. I don't see why the textures from Global will cause any problems with FPS.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

You should absolutely give it a go. I don't see why the textures from Global will cause any problems with FPS.

I'll second this.  Global won't hit the frames much if at all.  The textures are far better than stock.  Global base is a great upgrade without diving into the rabbit hole of endless tweaks.  

Ok guys,

it's going to be my next install :-)

But everything looks so great, land and sky wise in p3dv3.2 !  Really, and smooooth as I haven't experienced with previous versions.

Main Simulation Rig: