Good Evening all,

I currently have quite a powerful set up that is running my p3d v3.2 smoothly... but I wanted to switch to a bigger screen from my 24" GSYNC, going to a 27" 4K GSYNC.

Considering that I will not be running SGSS anymore in 4k, and my current setup (6700K OC and 980Ti OC), will I see a major drop in performance?

Thanks for the feedback!

Giorgio La Pira

I wanted to switch to a bigger screen from my 24" GSYNC, going to a 27" 4K GSYNC... will I see a major drop in performance?

I currently have 3 X Acer XB280HK monitors all connected to one 980Ti / i7-4930 @ 4.4Ghz.  If I set the monitors to their native resolution of 3840 X 2160, P3D is a slide show.  When I reduce resolution to 2560 X 1440, I can get 15 - 30 fps most places, which I can accept.  Don't know if that helps or not.

Running Samsung 40 inch on 4gb 980. No performance problems except it still needs some AA added. I thought I would not need any sgss on a 4k but it does. I go no higher than 2x sgss.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

You might be interested in this spreadsheet I put together ... specifically compare Test # 18 with Test # 19 ... going from 1080p to 2160p (4K) I got about a 21% decrease in FPS (from 51 FPS to 40 FPS).

Cheers, Rob.

With a nVidia graphic card, you can always "simulate" the higher resolution using DSR. This will easily already tell you now, on the smaller screen, if you will loose any performance or how your 980Ti will perform generally using the 4K resolution.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I think, for me anyways, is the whole point of going 4k was to go bigger. Bigger is better.  :-)

Cheers

6700k @4.8

2 x gtx 970's in SLI

Thanks guys!

I will install a second 980ti in SLI and I think that it should be good considering I'm gonna go on a 28" monitor 4k. Does that sound good? I was thinking of putting two 1080, but so far, people have been reporting the 980 is just as good with p3d. and mine is Overclocked on liquid cooling.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

While I'm at it... any specific settings for the SLI?

Giorgio La Pira

Because I was able to reduce my AA requirements (I completely removed SGSS with better overall IQ than I had with 4XSGSS when I was in HD)) my performance increased going to 4K. I'd suggest you make the move before you invest in another GPU & SLI. One spot where I took a hit was Screenshot/video recording. With FRAPS, screen grabs at 4k cause a brief pause and video at 4K is kind of a pig. Fortunately, FRAPS provides a 1/2 size option for video, so I can record at 1280p with minimal impact while still simming at 4K.

As another poster has suggested - I'm also of the camp 'bigger is better'. Seems to me a waste to fly in 4K on a 28" monitor (the pixel density is huge!). Go BIG! I use a 58" 4k screen and my VC is pretty much real-world sized.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Well, with 58" and 4K you get a ppi of 75. Sure, you have the huge screen, but with FullHD on a 24" screen, you already get 91ppi. So, personally, I would prefer a higher pixel density over the sheer size of the screen, but this is individual, I agree.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

As we both know, PPI is kind of misleading. What really matters is PPD - Pixels Per Degree - which is dependent on both PPI and the distance your eye is from the screen.

With my set-up, (58" 4K screen), I must be at least 45" away from the screen before it can be considered a retinal (theoretically perfect viewing) display. But frankly, my old eyes don't resolve like a pre-schooler's, so at 32" - 36" or so (which is about where my eye is in relation to the screen) I certainly can't see those individual pixels. :smile:

For the OP's proposed 27" 4K monitor, the minimum viewing distance for retinal viewing is 21". Beyond that distance, he can afford to go bigger without any discernible loss of image quality.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Thanks for the feedback guys! ;)

Appreciate your suggestions!

Any specific or recommended settings besides getting all the AA off from NVI? How about the settings inside P3d?

Giorgio La Pira

Just from my own personal experience, Bigger is much, much better !!  

I have three 4k's to choose from, a 28",55" and 78" curved. 

I definitely love the Samsung 78" curved, especially for simming. Amazing color, performance and immersion. We got a great deal and us it for everything living room.

However the price is absurd,  $13,000 CAN.   :fool:

A 55" to 65" 4k (curved a bonus) I think gives an exceptional gaming experience at a reasonable price.

I've tried 3 monitor setups and think they're horrible. Even when large enough to install vertically.

Ultra wide screens are not much better.

Cheers

However the price is absurd,  $13,000 CAN.

Ouch, that's kinda high for 4K ... I was just in BestBuy the other day and they had stacks of very nice Sony 4K 30/60Hz - 75" on sale for $3200.  Also found a selection of 4K movies (i.e. Deadpool and more) ... also found cheaper LG 27" 4K 60Hz for $499.  Seems 4K is in full swing for mass market ... I would imagine come holiday season 4K's will be even less.  Heck even Netflix has some good titles in 4K (Jessica Jones, House of Cards, Blacklist...)

Cheers, Rob.

Ouch, that's kinda high for 4K ... I was just in BestBuy the other day and they had stacks of very nice Sony 4K 30/60Hz - 75" on sale for $3200. Also found a selection of 4K movies (i.e. Deadpool and more) ... also found cheaper LG 27" 4K 60Hz for $499. Seems 4K is in full swing for mass market ... I would imagine come holiday season 4K's will be even less. Heck even Netflix has some good titles in 4K (Jessica Jones, House of Cards, Blacklist...)

Cheers, Rob.

About a month ago while picking up a new evolution kit for the samsung 78", I had to walk my wife over to see the shocking price for our TV. Yes it was $13,000. :shok:

I see today it's on sale for $9,999. CAN . Still crazy.

There are many good deals on 50" + 4k tv's out there and more and more content coming all time from Netflix, youtube and gaming titles.

Thanks Rob for your uploads in 4k !!

Cheers

This is crazy too !! Samsung 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player $599.

Now you're making me re-think our possible move to Vancouver. 

Cheers, Rob.