Good Evening all,

I currently have quite a powerful set up that is running my p3d v3.2 smoothly... but I wanted to switch to a bigger screen from my 24" GSYNC, going to a 27" 4K GSYNC.

Considering that I will not be running SGSS anymore in 4k, and my current setup (6700K OC and 980Ti OC), will I see a major drop in performance?

Thanks for the feedback!

Radial, you have about the same setup I do- I6700K /  Zotac Amp Extreme GTX 980 Ti / 16 gigs ram / 43" Sony Bravia 4K .

You should be able to easily run p3d at 4k with most setting maxed out at 40-80 FPS over addon scenery.

Over default scenery with default p3d setting I've seen fps reaching 230 fps at 4k.

Adding a second card would seem to me to be overkill.

Yes, no need for any AA at 4k, see pic below I took at 4k on my old rig using an Nvidia 660 GTX with no AA enabled.

p38.png

• Upvote 1

This picture is a keeper, great shot and nice how this high resolution looks like.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thanks guy! Great Feedback!

You use no AA at all or simply no NVI SGSS and some AA within P3d?

Thanks!

Gio

Giorgio La Pira

Thanks!

Gio

Simply no SGSS - which is the traditional frame rate killer in clouds/particulate effects. I still use the P3D AA offerings and a few other settings in NI

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Thanks!

Gio

Gio, I'm not using any AA settings at all in the Nvidia control panel but I might have AA enabled in the sim itself. I will check this weekend and get back with you.

My point was is that you don't need any other AA enhancements at 4k from the NV Control panel.

Glad you like the pic AnkH!

Once you see your sim at 4k- it cannot be unseen and the damage is done. There is no going back to lesser resolutions, at least that's how it was in my case.

Thanks guys!!

Looking forward to the settings when you have a minute! That picture looked absolutely amazing. If you could share what you use on NVI and P3d I would really appreciate it!

Gio, I'm not using any AA settings at all in the Nvidia control panel but I might have AA enabled in the sim itself. I will check this weekend and get back with you.

My point was is that you don't need any other AA enhancements at 4k from the NV Control panel.

Glad you like the pic AnkH!

Once you see your sim at 4k- it cannot be unseen and the damage is done. There is no going back to lesser resolutions, at least that's how it was in my case.

Giorgio La Pira

That's what ice been wondering about.

I use a 65 inch full hd tv at the moment. Don't really like it, for two,reasons:

Not enough resolution

Picture looks 'cartoon-like'

This is compared to my 27 inch nec graphics monitor, which I've been back flying with today.

My question:

For those who've flown with a decent sized TV (not monitor) in 4K, how did the picture QUALITY compare with a good computer monitor? I'm thinking colour gamut, anti-aliasing as well as detail which I'm sure is pretty good.

See, with the 65 inch (cheap) full hd tv, I notice the aa problems at airports and struggle to get the realistic-looking colours that I can get with my nec.

The second part of the question - do you need to get a high end 4K to to get this experience? I've been looking at Samsung, and the 9 series is supposed to be good for games. Anyone know if it would make a substantial difference getting this over the 7 series for P3d?

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

My 4k Samsung TV's, 55" and 78" look absolutely amazing.

My ASUS 27" 4k is nice but picture quality doesn't compare.

I would have had to go with a more expensive IPS monitor to get the colors I do from the Samsung tv's. I couldn't find an IPS monitor locally with a VESA mount.

4K makes gaming and flightsimming not only possible but look great on a 78". I think that alone says alot.  :-)

Gio, I have AA enabled in the sim but honestly I can't tell that it makes any difference by turning it on or off.

The frame rates also appear to be unaffected by it being enabled or not.

I've made no changes to NVI or in the Nvidia control panel- all settings in those is "as installed".

I use NVI to manually control my fan speeds which I set at 70% prior to running the sim or any game.

Video card temps stay at 53c or below.

Clearly this shows us that all the AA settings that we used to use at lower resolutions killing our FPS are no longer necessary at 4k.

All the horsepower of you GTX 980 Ti is now being used to display the higher resolution.

You should be able to run 4K easily with your current set up.