Sign in to follow this  
Atomic_Sheep

Jetstream 41 Beta and PG modes.

<p>Please note, I don't own PMDG products but asking here because I've asked this question on other forums and haven't found a response anywhere else.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi, I'm trying to figure out how the engines and props on the Jetstream 41 work. The way I see it, Beta is only active when you are going in reverse? So the manual prop blade pitch control only happens when you're reversing and PG is active when you're moving forwards (whether it's taxiing on the ground or in flight). Correct?</p>

Ive never flown any turboprops. However, the way i understand it is thst bets is a range where once you enter said beta rsnge, you manually co trol the pitch of the prop blades with the power levers.

I wouldnt exactly call it reverse thrust. They are two seperste things.

Once again, I have only flown turbo fan, not turbo prop. All this is coming from basic knowledge more or less.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

The beta range in this aircraft is the reverse pitch range.  There are three prop "conditions" normal pitch (forward with pitch controlling RPM), beta in this case is reverse pitch and of course feathered. The forward condition is either flight or ground mode... unlike a piston variable pitch blade where RPM is controlled over an operating range. This might be what you're trying to absorb, it is a major difference between pistons and turbines. This pilot tutorial discusses how beta is implemented in FSX and how the broken FSX turboprop model is accommodated.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the response, was there supposed to be a link in your response?

Why?  The pilot tutorial I referred to is included in the documentation you receive with the PMDG product.

Dan Downs KCRP

Beta range is any state when the engine is running but the propeller governer is at underspeed.

In other words. say your engine is running in idle. the props are controlled by the beta control valve and not by the prop governor.

But pilots often refer (incorrectly) to the beta range when the engine is running below the idle stop, (disking) but not yet in reverse.

Why do you care how the engines work if you don't have the PMDG product? assuming you are not working for an airline that runs them, 'cause you would have access to this information already.

vpa118.png

Rico van Dijk