Sign in to follow this  
dental12

Sim connect setup for non expert

Hi

I use p3d v3.2 and need a simple cook book approach to set up sim connect to use add-ons on 2nd pc. Is it so complicated that no one can offer a simple guide for non experts. I have searched the Web and all I find is posts from people having problems and wanting the same as me.

If some one in the know tells me that there is no simple method than I will end my quest.

You will need to have SimConnect installed, there are several versions of Simconnect located in the redist folder under the main flightsim install folder. You can run the SimConnect.msi to install all of them if needed, number of versions installed make no difference. 

1st, remember that the flight sim computer is the server.

You should have SimConnect.ini located at c:\Documents\Prepar3d v3 Files\SimConnect.ini

Contents of SimConnect.ini should be;

[simConnect] 

level=verbose 

console=No 

;RedirectStdOutToConsole=1 

;OutputDebugString=1 

;file=c:\simconnect%03u.log 

;file_next_index=0 

;file_max_index=9 

There is also a file called SimConnect.xml on the flight sim machine. It's located at Users\(yourname)\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimConnect.xml

Contents of SimConnect.xml should be;

<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">

<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>

<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<SimConnect.Comm>

<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>

<Scope>global</Scope>

<Address>192.168.1.108</Address>

<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>

<Port>1026</Port>

<MaxRecvSize>8192</MaxRecvSize>

<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>

</SimConnect.Comm>

<SimConnect.Comm>

<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>

<Scope>local</Scope>

</SimConnect.Comm>

</SimBase.Document>

inside the SimConnect.xml, the ip address, port, maxreceivesize etc. should match what you have in the SimConnect.cfg on the Client machine.  

The machine that is running the app is the client. You should have SimConnect.cfg located at C:\Documents\SimConnect.cfg

Contents of SimConnect.cfg should be;

[simConnect]

Protocol=IPv4

Address=192.168.1.108 

Port=1026  

MaxRecieveSize=8192

DisableNagle=0

the ip address in SimConnect.cfg is the IP of the flight sim server you are connecting to.

and the port is the port you have opened on both server and client for the app you are using)

Of course in the app you are connecting to flight simulator you have to tell it what port to use. But you probably know more than you realize. Just keep which machines are Server and Client straight in your mind.

-------------------------------------

Just remember the 3 main files;

on flight sim machine you have two files, which are

SimConnect.ini  ( c:\Documents\Prepar3d v3 Files\SimConnect.ini)

SimConnect.xml  ( Users\(yourname)\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\SimConnect.xml)

On client machine (with the app you are connecting to the flight sim machine), 

SimConnect.cfg  ( C:\Documents\SimConnect.cfg) 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's