Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robert Hedan

Looking for a list of commands by plane

Guest Robert Hedan

Hi,I just got off the plane so I'm new around here. Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong forum.I'm building a FS2004 console that will activate only the commands available to one selected plane. For example: when a Boeing will be selected, commands like Fuel Enrich will not be activated. In order to finish designing this, I need to know what commands are available for which plane.Any help in tracking down this information would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!Robert:)

Guest Robert Hedan

Ok, I've gotten a little further. I've found that the AIRCRAFT.CFG files for each airplane details what options are turned on.I assume I have everything in there. I just have to figure out how to read all that stuff, and identify which option controls which commands.Robert:)

Guest Robert Hedan

A few questions:a) Is it possible to have more than 4 engines in FS2004?:( what enables cowl flaps?c) what is the command for fuel tank selector as well as what might enable it?d) what is the command for manual fuel transfer pump as well as what might enable it (in Spirit of St. Louis)?Robert:)

Guest Tophatter

If you hit F10 to bring up the Kneeboard you will find the default key commands listed. If you go to OPTIONS/CONTROLS/ASSIGNMENTS you can view and change these assignments.Open Cowl Flaps: CTRL+SHIFT+VClose Cowl Flaps: CTRL+SHIFT+CFuel tank selector can be moved using the mouse or if you have a registered version of FSUIPC you should be able to assign buttons or keystrokes to these functions. Same with Fuel Transfer Pump. As far as I can tell these cannot be assigned through Flight Sim by itself, you need FSUIPC to assign them. The latest version of FSUIPC lets you assign universal commands or aircraft specific ones. Get it here: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlBud

Guest Robert Hedan

Thanks Bud.Yup, I knew the commands for the cowl flaps, I was looking for the parameter in the aircraft.cfg that turned them on for a given plane. Like for the right/left wheel brakes; it took me a while to figure that the brake_map in the ContactPoints tells me if this feature is enabled for a given plane.Ok, this is dumb. FS2004 has features that are not accessible to the 'average user'. Just how much work would it have been to add a command for those hidden commands?I have FSUIPC, I just haven't tried working with it yet. I'm developing this console so that no external software or driver is required. I suppose I could design a basic console for the average consumer, and a deluxe model for the advanced players. I didn't want to impose a consumer to have to install a 3rd party software to use this.Are there a lot of these hidden commands? I guess I'll have to read up on FSUIPC once again and see if there's a list of these extra commands.Thanks again!Robert:)

Guest Tophatter

Gotcha now. Not sure if one of the FS SDK's give that info or not. Probably need to talk to someone who designs add-on aircraft for FS :)Bud

Guest Robert Hedan

Holy poop!I just gave a quick glance at the FSUIPC list: clock, Concorde nose, GPS, fuel selectors, fuel pumps, fuel valves, alternators, magnetos, rotor trim, fuel transfer, propeller pitch, and so many more.There's a LOT of stuff that wasn't released with FS2004, a lot more than I expected.Robert:)

I'm pretty sure that a number of the commands that you list for FSUIPC, such as Concorde nose and alternators, are available to be assigned within FS2004, it's just that there is no keystroke assigned by default - it's worth checking in the controls setup.I'm guessing here, but wouldn't the engine type parameter within the aircraft.cfg determine a number of the controls available, e.g. cowl flaps are only available for piston engines, jet engines don't have mixture controls etc.

Guest Robert Hedan

"cowl flaps are only available for piston engines"I would have thought so too, at first, and then I wondered about the Wright Flyer. The engine is totally open, no enclosing, so no cowl flaps, or so I would assume. I found the cooling type parameter; but just because an engine is air cooled does not mean it will have air cowls."jet engines don't have mixture controls"Yup, I'm assuming mixture controls are strictly for the piston-type engine, at least until I'm told otherwise.Still unsure about tailwheel lock. I can't see anything that would enable/disable this feature.What is a pitot? Although I have good automotive mechanic knowledge, I have to admit knowing nothing about this device. I assume it's some sort of 'sparkplug warmer' or something like that, but would appreciate confirmation. Is this part only found on piston engines?Robert:)

Guest Robert Hedan

"I'm pretty sure that a number of the commands that you list for FSUIPC, such as Concorde nose and alternators, are available to be assigned within FS2004, it's just that there is no keystroke assigned by default - it's worth checking in the controls setup."JACKPOT, thanks Mathew!Yup, a lot of controls are not assigned by default in FS2004. This makes it a LOT easier for me. I just have to find the file storing the controls so that I can supply a new one.I don't even need FSUIPC since FS2004 already detects these commands. All it needs is to be told what keystroke combination does what.Robert:)

Guest Robert Hedan

"I just have to find the file storing the controls so that I can supply a new one."Hmmm, that was easier said than done. I've gone through the FS9 folders several times and I can't see a control.cfg or some such file.Robert:(

Guest Robert Hedan

Ok,I made a new entry in the Controls to see where MS saves this information; CTRL+SHIFT+A to add fuel.There is a CONTROLS.DLL in the MODULES folder. No idea how I can browse this file, somehow I doubt I'm even supposed to go look in there.There's a KNEEBOARD_KEYS.HTML file in the AIRCRAFT folder, but that does not have the new entry. It just looks like a HELP file to browse from within the game.Robert:(

Guest Robert Hedan

I'm stumped. I sorted the FS9 folders by order of Last Mod Date, but no file stands out. I would have assumed the new entry I just added in the CONTROLS would have somehow shown up, but nothing...?Any idea where/how MS saves the control configuration file?Robert:/

Guest Robert Hedan

Weirderer and weirderer...The HELP in the control assignment screen said that the Kneeboard file is dynamic. Ok, so it picks up the new control entries from 'somewhere' and displays them within the game.WRONG!!!I press F10 and cycled until I got the kneeboard, the new entries weren't there...? I had added a 2nd entry for the starters, just to be sure.Really lost at this point...Robert:(

Guest Robert Hedan

A few screen shots, a new entry in the control assignment panel and the kneeboard.I took a Boeing, just in case the kneeboard was plane-dependant. No new entries in sight...Robert:(