Sign in to follow this  
Pochi

Need help to overclock I5 6600K

Hello,

I am back at requesting your help after building my computer recently. The system is stable in the sim and I would like to try a little overclock out of my CPU. My target is 4,2 ghz as a first step.

My system :

W10

CM Asus Z170i Pro Gaming

I5 6600K

MSI GTX970 gaming

8go RAM

NH U12S cooler

Could you please guide me through the steps required to overclock? What is the simpliest method? I do not have AI Suite installed and I prefer to manage the overclock directly in BIOS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

best regards,

pierre

Hi Pierre.

The best advice I can give you is to follow the guide here...

http://rog.asus.com/19262015/overclocking/guide-overclocking-core-i7-6700k-on-the-maximus-viii-extreme/

It's for the 6700K but the principle is the same. 

The NH U12S isn't the best Noctua cooler, but I would guess, dependent on the silicone lottery, you should achieve up to 4.6 Ghz.

Why are you rejecting Ai Suite? It includes 5 Way Optimization which is actually very good auto overclocking software. It runs a stress test on you system while it overclocks, so it's a system specific overclock tailored to your rig. The stress tests are very good and can be set to run for as long as you like.

There are some that say it's caused issues on their systems and reject it and others that just follow the crowd, and others that try it but through lack of knowledge of it's capabilities fail extract the best from it.

Fair enough if you prefer manual overclocking though, many do.

Thanks for your help !

Yes, I read lots of stuff about AI Suite causing problems so I elected not to install it. I prefer to do it directly in BIOS and know what is really going on.

Rog guide is very good and simple. I may try it soon. However I have some questions :

- If I want to only try 4,2 ghz, how do I know what voltage I need ? Do I need to change the default value?

- Does RAM XMP has any influence on the overclcok. Can I keep the XMP profile for which my ram is made?

- Do I need to deactivate something regarding Turboboost if I want to always keep 4,2 ghz?

I will look for Turbo V core also,

Pierre

Hi

My eng is very bad think Its better Martin explain, i prefer manual voltage and some odd Overclock settings.

I do a base in bios start at 1.3v 4.5ghz ( 4.1-4.2 if not experianced) then all tests with TurboVcore when ready change bios settings.

Perfectly fine to run XMP settings with overclock

Yes, I read lots of stuff about AI Suite causing problems so I elected not to install it. I prefer to do it directly in BIOS and know what is really going on.

I've never had any issues with it to be honest. Like always, the ones that do will post about it on the internet, so it's easy to assume issues are prevalent when they perhaps aren't.

- If I want to only try 4,2 ghz, how do I know what voltage I need ? Do I need to change the default value?

To be honest, if all you want is a 4.2 overclock, then you could simply flip the TPU switch on the motherboard. For 4.2 you should switch it to the TPU 1 setting. This is not a stress tested auto overclock, instead it will set a voltage that Asus auto rules deem is sufficient for a 4.2 overclock in the vast majority of cases.

You could of course just use TPU 1 as a starting point. For example, if stable and you want to see how low you can drop the voltage, you could lower the voltage fractionally till unstable, then back up a tad. Or conversely, if TPU 1 isn't stable to begin with, then nudge the voltage up a fraction until it is.

If not using the TPU switch and overclocking manually, you determine the voltage required by trial and error. If your system crashes, blue screens etc, then nudge the voltage up by small amounts, for example 0.01 volts.

- Does RAM XMP has any influence on the overclcok. Can I keep the XMP profile for which my ram is made?

XMP settings can sometimes influence the maximum CPU overclock, but that's usually if you are pushing for high overclocks. For most of us it's not an issue to set the XMP profile first and then overclock the CPU. Some  prefer to overclock the CPU first and try the XMP profile later.

Hi,

A big thank you to martin and westman for their help,

I did my overclock today and it went well! I used the ROG tutorial link provided by Martin and followed it to the letter except I choose 42 as the CPU core ratio and 1,25v as CPU core voltage (from a beginner overclock video). I did the 1 hour stress test from Realbench and it went very well with a all core max temp 63° and 59° average during the test. Seems good to me^^ I will test in game now.

Pierre

Glad it went well Pierre. And good luck with your future overclocking endeavors.  :smile: