Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Baron or A36?

Guest Crimguy

I'm looking to add a new ac to my stable. Been a while, and both of Dreamfleet's recent offerings are at the top of my list.I have a lot of time in a Debonair in real life, so the A36 is tempting, but the Baron will get me there a bit faster.Anyone have both and care to comment? Anyone who has either can share as well, of course.Thx in advance!Matt

I have about 500 hours in a Deb also but I prefer the Baron-but that is what I fly now. All the new instrumentation makes the Baron the ultimate though imho...not to mention all kinds of other stuff.If you want a Debonair-download my free one here on avsim. It's a deb! :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest Crimguy

Having a hard time paying for gas in the single - twins are not an option these days! However, the avionics in the DF Baron are that much better? All I see is the multifunction HSI being modeled better. Any input regarding the flight models?I've only come across a couple flight models that do a credible job, the flight1 172 being one of them, so I consider that a high priority - should have mentioned that before ;-D

Guest jgreth123

I just got both yesterday.Here are my comments on them:-- Baron 58 --I've got to tell ya... I'm pretty impressed, and that's hard to do. The flight dynamics are nice. Accurate ( I've flown a Baron in real life before with a friend ). I'm also able to cross the controls to not only offset crosswinds, but can use it to bleed off airspeed as in the real world. Too high on an approach? Kick in some heavy rudder and apply opposite aileron to keep your straight path, this throws in some heavy drag, allowing for a steeper descent. The sounds are pretty good too. In real life, they were a bit louder, but in all honesty, I like the volume that the dev team decided on. Mainly because in real world, you can wear a headset to drown it out. In the sim, the headset just puts the sound in your ears =) So it's a nice mix and lets me hear my communications programs still over the engines. The startup procedure is dead on. The only thing I didn't like was having to keep clicking the magnetos into start. Click and hold wouldn't make it stick, so you just had to keep clicking it to get those engines cranked up. Just a minor irritation, not anything major. Of course, I could just be retarded and missed something ;) I fly VFR or IFR using VOR/DME combinations, so the advanced avionics ( fancy GPS etc ) are sort of wasted on me, but to each their own ;) That being said, I enjoy the Lite version over the RealityXP version only because since I don't use the fancy avionics, the extra CPU being used to drive the more complex system isn't worth it to me. The gauges in the VC are amazing! Wonderful job there. They are extremely fluid. Almost as smooth as the RealAir Spitfire. That's always been a HUGE HUGE HUGE pet peeve of mine :) I hate flying planes in 2D since I fly w/ TrackIR 3 Pro + Vector, so non-smooth gauges irritate me to no end.All in all, the Baron is worth EVERY penny. I'm a huge critic of FS payware, so when I recommend something, it's no small matter.-- Beech A36 --See above, except it has 1 engine.The only real difference I noticed, besides using the slightly older version of the RealityXP avionics, was the VC gauges were not QUITE as smooth as the Baron. It seems they just optimized it a bit more for the Baron. They are still quite smooth and not enough to make a huge difference, but for someone who flies ONLY in the VC, I do notice a SMALL difference.Again, this difference is very very minor, and should not persuade someone to decide against purchasing it. It's still smoother than 90% of VC's out there.The accuracy of the flight model is top notch. Sounds are great as well. Both planes really are amazing. Worth every penny. I did forget to mention the exterior. The exterior model is flawless. They even went as far as to put the text printed on the actual glass on the cockpit. ( in the Baron, look outside and to the left, can see it ). The windows have reflections, but not enough to drown out the scenery, just a very very faint reflection.I'm one of the hardest critics for payware, so honestly, you can trust my opinion.Get both of these. It just depends what you want, 1 engine or 2. Both are amazing.

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, Yep, it's a tough choice, depending if you desire a single or twin, myself I like the twin and my choice would be the Baron -- but then again, I saw them both from being infants but my choice would still be the Baron because of the instrumentation package -- it's great.Best to all, clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

I own them both and totally agree with your assessment. They're both pretty amazing. Considering their quality and performance, they're very reasonably priced as well.One thing to mention is that Dreamfleet is supposed to be working on one more update to the A36 that will make the VC gauge refresh as fast as in the B58, as well as a few other minor tweaks and the addition of the RXP "Flightline T" ADI. I'm anxiously waiting for that update.Lewis "Moose" GregoryRichmond, Virginia

Guest jgreth123

Wow. That will make it even better.I didn't wanna make it sound as though they weren't smooth... they just weren't AS smooth as the Baron's. They are still quite smooth. ( for those that don't have it :( )

I'd recommend getting both aircraft. Both have something different to offer especially in the avionics department. It's great to have both to appreciate the differences.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I agree. I was a bit wary of buying the B58 since I already had the A36 but I enjoy both. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Baron, though. I've been a fan of that aircraft since FU2 :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Crimguy

Thank you all. I ended up getting the Bonanza, for no reason other than that I had already downloaded the Flight1 package, and it's been sitting on my desktop for a week.Thoughts: The only issues I have are really MS's problem, not DF's. The BOTH selector on the fuel tanks bothers me, but not nearly as much as the exaggerated wing weight effect MS introduces. The flight model is pretty #### good - the climb profile is pretty close to my Debonair - I get better high-altitude performance in the Deb and don't need to adjust the mixture nearly as much - again I think this is a MS issue. The plane is stable, but not as stable as in real life - the Debonair feels much heavier than it really is.Also, it takes a bit more to get this in the air - I find myself passing 85 knots before liftoff, and the green trim setting seems to be a bit off - but I've never flown an A36 so I can't say. The stall speed is much lower on the Debonair, with aftermarket wing diffusers.The star for me has to be the GNS430. On our deb we have dual 430's plus the identical cylinder head guage as in the DF. Very nice.One question - how do you get to the backseat without Active Camera? Seems odd that they have all those bells and whistles with no way of getting to them without 3rd party software?