Sign in to follow this  
JamesDinsdale

777 'Pausing' on touchdown

Morning all,

Does anyone, or has anyone, experienced their simulator to essentially freeze/pause for a second as the wheels come into contact with the ground? Becomes quite distracting in terms of the flare and holding the landing attitude.

Thanks

James Dinsdale

Yes, it has happened to me.

A defragmentation of the hard drive has been suggested to me before. I can understand that at the moment of touchdown several audio files are played, maybe the sim stutters for the time it takes to locate the audio files to play them?

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Yes, it has happened to me.

A defragmentation of the hard drive has been suggested to me before. I can understand that at the moment of touchdown several audio files are played, maybe the sim stutters for the time it takes to locate the audio files to play them?

That sounds like a logical reason. I'll go ahead with the defrag. Anyone else got a solution? 

Avoid using the Nvidia sound drivers together with your default sound device drivers.

When installing Nvidia drivers I always make sure to uncheck the sound component, and rely only on my Realtek...  Never had weird effects due to sound after that, in any sim, including DCS World.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Avoid using the Nvidia sound drivers together with your default sound device drivers.

When installing Nvidia drivers I always make sure to uncheck the sound component, and rely only on my Realtek...  Never had weird effects due to sound after that, in any sim, including DCS World.

Are you able to elaborate onto how I can do that?

Hmmm, simply go to your Windows "Programs and Features" and install the sound component of the Nvivia drivers.

You can also simply re-install the drivers, tick the "Custom" install and then chose "clean install" and, if you want to do it like I do, uncheck everything but the "graphics" entry.

I use Nvidia Inspector for profiles too, but that's another story...

P.S.: Create a system restore point before doing this, just in case you then have difficulty setting your sound devices to work properly...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi James

I would just point out not to defrag your drive if it is an SSD

not sure if it is or not but thought better check to make sure

Stewart Cumbers

Not sure the defrag is a good idea either.  The simulation preloads the landing sound files to avoid problems like this.  The advice given regarding duplicate sound drivers is one I'd go after.

Dan Downs KCRP

Does anyone, or has anyone, experienced their simulator to essentially freeze/pause for a second as the wheels come into contact with the ground? Becomes quite distracting in terms of the flare and holding the landing attitude

The 777 offers an alternative 5.1 sound set.  By any chance have you installed that instead of the smaller size files?  You can check in the Op Center.

The simulation preloads the landing sound files to avoid problems like this.

For preloading to take place, you need to choose one of two options.  On the CDU, under menu>options>sound there is an option to "Preload all sounds."   There are three options, "NONE" "SELECTIVE" and "ALL".  Using the last two, the manual states, will increase memory usage but decrease stutters caused by sound loading.  So try experimenting with that setting.

Also found this tweak to FSX.cfg, but haven't tried it:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/418730-777-micro-stutters/?hl=%2Bsound+%2Bfiles+%2Bstutters#entry2781464

Finally, someone posted a sound pack that substitutes much smaller sound files for some of the landing sounds that seems to improve performance for me.  Unfortunately I can't find the link at the moment. Maybe someone else has it.

Update: I must have e-mailed or PMed Mr. Kim.  See this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/437506-half-sized-files-to-increase-frame-of-777/?hl=%20sound%20%20files%20%20landing

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

If you open the 777 in the PMDG Operations Center, there's an option to install optional 22kHz audio files, in place of the standard 44kHz audio files.   I did this and it completely resolved the "landing sound pause".    

When you have many audio files running at the same time, halving the load by using 22kHz files will help a lot.

PS.... I cannot tell any difference in the sounds; they still sound fantastic.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Try renaming fx skidmarks.fx found in effects folder to fx skidmarks.fx.bak, this will disable this effect that places skid marks on the runway,it worked for me.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”