Sign in to follow this  
nealmac

ATC addons

So I'm looking for an ATC add on. However, I don't want to be messing around with voice control or anything like that. I want something that works similar to the built in FSX ATC that runs on current Nav Data and uses SIDs/STARs etc.

I know there's loads of addons (Radar Contact, Pilot 2 ATC, Vox ATC to name a few) but as far as I'm aware, these only support voice control. And if they support the "select response" they don't make reference to it.

I'm new to Avsim, so a bit of background info: I'm running FSX:SE on Windows 10. I'm using PFPX for flight planning, ASN for weather, NavDataPro for navigation updates and the PMDG 777, the Aerosoft Airbus A320/321 and the Eaglesoft Cessna Citation X although the aircraft probably won't matter.

So yeah, hit me. Cheers.

Neal.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Pro-ATC has no voice control.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I'll have a look at that.

How does it work with waypoints, or more specifically SIDs/STARs and vectored departures/approaches.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Radar Contact does not have voice control, as well.  It also works fine with waypoints, SIDs/STARs and vectored departures/approaches. 

It all is based on how you set it up, the fllight plan created by, for example, FSBuild.  If you use PFPX for your planner and say a detailed FMC as in PMDG or AS Airbuses, you will only get the standard plan and use your FMC to insert SID/STARS.  However, PFPX will not include waypoints for SID/STAR selections.  Hope this helps. 

RC4 is a very fine ATC addon that is time tested, IMHO.

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

Hi Neal,

Pro-ATC does vectoring, automatic or pre-selected SIDs, STARs, taxi instructions and so on. So for IFR, you get full service from gate to gate.

I use PFPX for flight planning and import this plan to Pro-ATC, but you can also do your planning in Pro-ATC if you wish. Airac cycles can be updated, and scenery can be updated using Pete Dowson's makerunways.  It still has a few bugs, but all in all it is among the best options for ATC, I think (apart from human controllers like Vatsim and IVAO).

It doesn't do VFR flights IIRC. Among the bugs that I find most prominent are handling of ground traffic and (occasionally) wrong vectoring instructions. However, the program is under active development and there is hope that all this will be fixed in a future version.

Peter

Radar Contact does not have voice control, as well.  It also works fine with work with waypoints, SIDs/STARs and vectored departures/approaches. 

It all is based on how you set it up, the fllight plan created by, for example, FSBuild.  If you use PFPX for your planner and say a detailed FMC as in PMDG or AS Airbuses, you will only get the standard plan and use your FMC to insert SID/STARS.  However, PFPX will not include waypoints for SID/STAR selections.  Hope this helps. 

RC4 is a very fine ATC addon that is time tested, IMHO.

Thanks for that. Yeah I'm well used to the working of PFPX, in the sense you can import a flight plan to the FMC and then you have manually add in the departure and approach procedures. I'm guessing you have to do something similar for RC? 

Hi Neal,

Pro-ATC does vectoring, automatic or pre-selected SIDs, STARs, taxi instructions and so on. So for IFR, you get full service from gate to gate.

I use PFPX for flight planning and import this plan to Pro-ATC, but you can also do your planning in Pro-ATC if you wish. Airac cycles can be updated, and scenery can be updated using Pete Dowson's makerunways.  It still has a few bugs, but all in all it is among the best options for ATC, I think (apart from human controllers like Vatsim and IVAO).

It doesn't do VFR flights IIRC. Among the bugs that I find most prominent are handling of ground traffic and (occasionally) wrong vectoring instructions. However, the program is under active development and there is hope that all this will be fixed in a future version.

Peter

Thanks again for the info. I suppose what I'm really trying to do is get an addon that teaches me all the jargon before making the jump to VATSIM. I'll try and find some demo videos for both Pro ATC and Radar Contact. Any time I've ever searched for videos on ATC add ons they always seemed to be voice controlled. 

One other thing I forgot to mention, I'm using WOAI traffic. Will this work ok with all of the above?

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I suppose what I'm really trying to do is get an addon that teaches me all the jargon before making the jump to VATSIM.

I often use Pro-ATC and Vatsim simultaneously if there is no ATC coverage on Vatsim at the beginning of my flight. The best way to get prepared for Vatsim is to join and listen to the transmissions (e.g., just park your plane at a remote ramp at a busy airport). Controllers are very friendly and happy to help newcomers, unless they are too busy. So when you are ready to try your first flight, pick an area with ATC coverage, but with a small amount of traffic. Another good idea is to join a VA that is an ATO (authorized training organization) for Vatsim. They have have excellent learning material. 

I personally find ATC jargon in Pro-ATC OK, but some will argue that RC4 is more precise. In any way, on Vatsim controllers will not fine you when you say Heading two hundred seventy instead of two seven zero ;)

Peter

Thanks for that. Yeah I'm well used to the working of PFPX, in the sense you can import a flight plan to the FMC and then you have manually add in the departure and approach procedures. I'm guessing you have to do something similar for RC?

No, unfortunately that is the only snag with RC4, if you build the plan without SID/STAR and then export the plan to FSX, you will not receive the vectors for SID/STAR, you will be vectored based on the initial and last waypoint from the loaded flight plan.  That is why I use FSBuild - soley so RC4 will have the SID and STAR waypoints included in the plan for RC4 to vector.

By the way - RC4 uses the same flight plan that is exported for FSX, in case you were wondering.   Also, RC4 rarely if ever misses the vectors to get you accurately to the localizer on arrival.

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

So I'm looking for an ATC add on. However, I don't want to be messing around with voice control or anything like that. I want something that works similar to the built in FSX ATC that runs on current Nav Data and uses SIDs/STARs etc.

I know there's loads of addons (Radar Contact, Pilot 2 ATC, Vox ATC to name a few) but as far as I'm aware, these only support voice control. And if they support the "select response" they don't make reference to it.

I'm new to Avsim, so a bit of background info: I'm running FSX:SE on Windows 10. I'm using PFPX for flight planning, ASN for weather, NavDataPro for navigation updates and the PMDG 777, the Aerosoft Airbus A320/321 and the Eaglesoft Cessna Citation X although the aircraft probably won't matter.

So yeah, hit me. Cheers.

Neal.

Hi Neal,

VoxAtc can work with just keys push if you prefer. There is a trial version.

Pilot2Atc V.2 can work with just keys push. Trial version only for the version 1 (the V.1 have no key push option)

PF3 works with just push button. There is too a trial version.

By now I use essentially Vox and PF3.

Regards,

Richard Portier

• Upvote 1

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Thanks for all the info guys. I've been watching a few videos and I think the speech in Pro ATC is really good in the sense that it's not as "robotic" as Radar Contact.

I was watching this video

and it seems like it's exactly what I was after. It's just a pity it doesn't do voice control, as it would be nice to advance to that as I get more used to it. The video itself is brilliant too, but that's another story.

I'll try some of those trials too and see what they're like.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

ProATC has only a hand full of voicesets, but I'm trying to change that by offering to make new ones.

It's nice to be able to fly SID's and STARS and make use of your FMC while having ATC guidance along the way.

It has a handy flightplanner too. Unfortuatly they don't have a demo. See

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

I've been sitting on my hands on ProATCX.  It's looking better.  I've just been hoping that it would allow you to ask for other runways and procedures for arrival/departure (other than the opposite direction runway, of course).   

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Cheers guys. Yeah not having a demo is a bit of blow, but it looks good on YouTube. Also, I envisage me continuing to use PFPX for the planning element, and just exporting it to Pro ATC, so the planning part of Pro ATC doesn't really make any difference to me.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Have you thought about PF3? http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/

You can use it in a number of different modes. Voice control if you want. No voice control if you don't want. It does IFR/VFR SIDs STARs Vectors etc. It is a very flexible programme and bang up to date with regard to FAA and ICAO terminology and support is A1++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHhYduG53Ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crpKtgPIptQ

Take a look at PilotEdge.  It is as real as it gets.  The only drawback is that it covers the SoCal area only but you will find every type of available airspace in that area.  They do it by the book and you will learn a ton.