Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Fix to joystick button repeat?

Hi,

Wondering if there's a timeline for the fix for the joystick button repeat issue?  Also, on a related note, is there a way to get LINDA to reload LUA using a joystick button?

Thanks,

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi,

Wondering if there's a timeline for the fix for the joystick button repeat issue?  Also, on a related note, is there a way to get LINDA to reload LUA using a joystick button?

Thanks,

Gregg

Hi Gregg, I am sorry but I don't have a timeline for you as real world work is intruding on my investigations. I have yet to pin down exactly what the cause is. I do have a Repeat Queue cancel function to kill the effect when it happens but I don't want to release this until I understand what is happening.

There are 2 circumstances that appear to trigger the runaway. One is with the Saitek Multi Panel elevator trim and the other is when a button is pressed during when LINDA is rebooting. What are you doing when it happens? How repeatable is it? The more information and conditions you can give me the quicker I will able to identify the problem.

Adding the ability to trigger a ReloadLUAEngine from a button will require some detailed investigation and coding. Not an easy or quick task.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

There are 2 circumstances that appear to trigger the runaway. One is with the Saitek Multi Panel elevator trim and the other is when a button is pressed during when LINDA is rebooting. What are you doing when it happens? How repeatable is it? The more information and conditions you can give me the quicker I will able to identify the problem.

I have a CH Yoke.  I rarely use repeat but on the two trim buttons, I do.  It happens at any time when I use the trim (unless I remember to make the joystick button active).  Reloading LUA or rebooting LINDA are the only solutions...hence why I was asking about the reload from a button since I'm running full screen.  Switching to LINDA when going down final is difficult...hence, the second question.

Adding the ability to trigger a ReloadLUAEngine from a button will require some detailed investigation and coding. Not an easy or quick task.

Okay.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

It happens at any time when I use the trim (unless I remember to make the joystick button active).

When you say "make the joystick button active" what do you mean?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

When you say "make the joystick button active" what do you mean?

Sorry, I mean't "make the joystick page active."

Gregg Seipp

Sorry, I mean't "make the joystick page active."

So with LINDA running and without selecting the Joystick page first, you can get the trim to trigger every time. Which trim functions do you have assigned to OnPress and OnRepeat? What aircraft and what version of LINDA are you using?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

So with LINDA running and without selecting the Joystick page first, you can get the trim to trigger every time. Which trim functions do you have assigned to OnPress and OnRepeat? What aircraft and what version of LINDA are you using?

I don't think it's every time.  I'm testing a thought that it might only happen when you use both OnPress and OnRelease.  Yes, OnPress and OnRepeat.  LINDA version 2.6.8 (216).  It happens in the Flight1 Mustang for sure and I think the Turbine Duke and Dash8.  I only have those and the 777 and the AS320 installed.

Gregg Seipp

I don't think it's every time.  I'm testing a thought that it might only happen when you use both OnPress and OnRelease.  Yes, OnPress and OnRepeat.  LINDA version 2.6.8 (216).  It happens in the Flight1 Mustang for sure and I think the Turbine Duke and Dash8.  I only have those and the 777 and the AS320 installed.

Thank you. Can you test the problem with a Default aircraft (C172/Baron 58)?  Also I am testing with 2.7.+ so if you can install 2.7.0 it would bring us onto a common baseline. I did some changes to help me in that version.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Update. It appears that the runaway repeat is linked to the previously reported OnRelease not working when the Joystick page is not selected. Sometimes when using the OnRepeat, for example, for changing the trim occasionally the OnRelease is not being detected and therefore the OnRepeat is not cancelling correctly. This is intermittent so can be difficult to reproduce. Watch this space for a fix.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hello, I have had this runaway repeat issue on several versions of LINDA. I have traced it to an "ID ten T" error. It always happens, to me anyways, when I use a repeat function [trim] in the Local Shift mode, and then release the Local Shift before releasing the function button. I use a hat switch for trim up/down fast un-shifted and trim up/down normal shifted. The only way I've found to get it out of this runaway repeat is to press the buttons again but in reverse, i.e. press trim, then press shift, then release trim, and finally release shift like I should have done in the first place. When this doesn't work I do a lot of button pushes including Shift and if that doesn't work then it does require a restart of LINDA or a reload of LUA. I am not in the habit of selecting the Joystick page but sometimes it is active and sometimes it's not. I have not linked it to this on my system yet. 

Roger

Hello, I have had this runaway repeat issue on several versions of LINDA. I have traced it to an "ID ten T" error. It always happens, to me anyways, when I use a repeat function [trim] in the Local Shift mode, and then release the Local Shift before releasing the function button. I use a hat switch for trim up/down fast un-shifted and trim up/down normal shifted. The only way I've found to get it out of this runaway repeat is to press the buttons again but in reverse, i.e. press trim, then press shift, then release trim, and finally release shift like I should have done in the first place. When this doesn't work I do a lot of button pushes including Shift and if that doesn't work then it does require a restart of LINDA or a reload of LUA. I am not in the habit of selecting the Joystick page but sometimes it is active and sometimes it's not. I have not linked it to this on my system yet. 

Roger

Thank you Roger. That was the bit of inspiration I needed. I'll be on the case today.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

A fix to the runaway repeating buttons is now available in the latest release LINDA 2.8.0. Now when the local or global shift is used the previous OnRepeat is cancelled. This means that the button must be pressed again to continue. This allows the same button/HAT to be used for example for slow and fast elevator trim. My thanks to WB_Flashover for pointing me in the right direction.

A problem can still exists with the Saitek Multi Panel Trim Wheel. This is because the button OnRelease is not detected. A separate fix traps these runaways.

Please report your experience along with the equipment and setup used.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Oh my goodness Scot, Just got airborne from LIRS and checked this site. Looking for the next field to land and update LINDA. Anxious to see how the OnRepeat works as far as smoothness too. Were you able to find a fix for that? Guess I'll find out soon enough :smile:  

Thanks Scot and congratulations on 5 years of a wonderful program. Many thanks to the whole team.

Roger 

P3D v3.4.9.18400 PMDG 777 & 738 , FSUIPC 4.957b, LINDA 2.8.3

It seems that I have a similar problem.

I have set on my CH Fighterstick for the PMDG 737NGX on

button 5 for “On Press” =NGX ELEV TRIM down “On Repeat”= NGX ELEV TRIM downfast

button 7 for “On Press” =NGX ELEV TRIM up “On Repeat”= NGX ELEV TRIM upfast

When I load the PMDG 737 the trim is set to maximum up. When I apply button 5 the elevator trim goes down and on the MCP I can see the value for the elevator trim. When it is a little down and I press button 7 I can see in the Linda window on the Joystick page that the button is pressed and I see on the MCP the actual value for the trim setting but the elevator trim goes not up. Neither fast nor slow.

A reload of the Lua engine does not help.

I presume that this is a special problem for the PMDG 737 because with my PMDG777 I have not this problems but in that case the "on repeat" command is the same as the "on press" command.

Has anybody a solution?

Thanks a lot Stefan

regards
Stefan Liebe

In addition to the above, I found out that my joystick was not centered correctly. Due to that the trim function did not work. After calibrating the joystick trim up and down works.

Sorry for bothering the readers.

Stefan

regards
Stefan Liebe