Sign in to follow this  
Dylanvessey88

FS cannot run without a valid scnery.cfg

Hi everybody,

I recently downloaded a freeware Barbados add on for fsx se, I put it in the add on folder and launched up fsx, when it was loading it came up with 'FS cannot run without a valid scenery. Cfg, please uninstall and reinstall fsx'

I deleted the freeware scenery, installed FSTscenery, which did nothing. I also validated the game cache. I then uninstalled and reinstalled fsx to no success. I've also tried replacing the scenery.cfg with the other one but still get the same error.

The only thing that seems suspicious is that the first lines in the scenery.cfg is FS9 global. Which I don't have and I have fsx not fs9. I know this issue isn't rare but it's stopping me from flying. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dylan

I've also tried replacing the scenery.cfg with the other one but still get the same error.

(1)  Save the original Scenery.cfg,  Right Click and Click copy,  Paste it somewhere safe 

(2)  Now Delete the Scenery.cfg it will rebuild again.   See if that helps  

The only thing that seems suspicious is that the first lines in the scenery.cfg is FS9 global. Which I don't have and I have fsx not fs9.

That's normal :smile:  

• Upvote 1

I then uninstalled and reinstalled fsx to no success.

Sorry i missed that bit. 

As well as Uninstalling FSX thought the Control panel or though the Steam control panel,  Did you manually delete all 5 folders ?

► Computer ► Your FSX Location ► Steam ► steamapps ► common  ► FSX 

► Libraries ► Documents ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► Microsoft ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Roaming ► Microsoft ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Local ► Microsoft ► FSX 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ►ProgramData ► MICROSOFT ► FSX

I will try that now but I have never heard of 'program data' before, I'm using windows 7 and I can't seem to find it. 

Thanks 

Ok, so you will have to start from Scratch to give you a nice clean slate to start from again. 

First Uninstall any Add Ons that Install directly into your Main FSX folder.  Add On's that Install outside the FSX folder can easily be hooked back up again after you Reinstall FSX

Uninstall the Add On's through your Control Panel,  Programs and Features   

When you are finished,  Click the Link below and follow it though,  Remember you have 5 folders to Delete 

How Do I Uninstall FSX Steam Version         ►              ►              ►     http://www.avsim.com...-steam-version/

Please Note:   You do Not have to delete any keys in the Registry Editor when completing a normal Uninstall of FSX 

Ok, so you will have to start from Scratch to give you a nice clean slate to start from again. 

First Uninstall any Add Ons that Install directly into your Main FSX folder.  Add On's that Install outside the FSX folder can easily be hooked back up again after you Reinstall FSX

Uninstall the Add On's through your Control Panel,  Programs and Features   

When you are finished,  Click the Link below and follow it though,  Remember you have 5 folders to Delete 

How Do I Uninstall FSX Steam Version         ►              ►              ►     http://www.avsim.com...-steam-version/

Please Note:   You do Not have to delete any keys in the Registry Editor when completing a normal Uninstall of FSX 

thanks for that guide, it's very useful. I was just thinking in the program data folder it has all the scenery.cfg back ups in, I could try putting one of them into the fsx folder