Sign in to follow this  
WAD3

Retired C-130 FE input concerning CS C-130

Guest Akflyin

Hello all,This is my first post concerning the CS C-130 release and wanted to pass abit of info about the Herc But before I do, I think alittle background info is in order. I was an HC-130H Flight Engineer for the US Coast Guard here in Alaska for 15 years and because of the small nature of the service, when you were not flying as aircrew, you were turning wrenches on the aircraft you flew in. You ended up being a flying crew cheif so to speak.I have been flight simming since the mid 90s and have always held a passion for the Mighty C-130 and her capabilities. When Captain Sim asked for Beta Testers for there C-130 project, I couldn't resist and applied. Now, I have never had any past dealings with Captain Sim or have any of there products until now. I am not interested in throwing mud and am really not in a position to do it even if I was. I can, however give some insight as to the Aircraft that I helped Beta Test. I have had the aircraft for only a few hours and have been impressed with what I have experienced so far. It is obvious to me that alot of hard work went into this project and want to congradulate CS for there efforts so far and look forward to flying the herc by my actual charted proformance manuals. I have found one issue that prevents engine startup from a Cold and dark Flightdeck. For me to start the engines, I have to use the FlightSim Eng Start Auto function ( Control+E) I wont bore you with all the specifics as to why you can't start the engines from cold and dark in accordance with system operation but I have contacted CS to see if they want more information.Again, This is NOT a CS Bashing post. It is merely an information post for those of you interested in the C-130. Along with the rest of you, I have been anxiously awaiting this release and I also know that there is no such thing as a perfect Airplane, however, maybe with a little proactive information sharing between customer,folks who know the Bird, and the Developer, we can work out the wrinkles.Now to file that flightplan....Fly safe allDave in Alaska

sorry to hear that bug, until they fix it, or somebody finds a way to fix it, I won't buy it as I start all my aircraft from cold and dark

Somehow I am not amazed. I can hear the "30 million dollar simulator" comparison, to justify not being able to start it from cold and dark... I had the same issue with the 707. I haven't bought the Herc, so I'll keep quiet... We'll see how it pans out. I hope this one does work though, as I like the Herc a lot! :)regards,Macs

>sorry to hear that bug, until they fix it, or somebody finds>a way to fix it, I won't buy it as I start all my aircraft>from cold and darkI don't. Unlike a real airplane, few controls on my desktop simulation setup are in the real places for a real time startup.Just taking a real single engine aircraft for instance, most controls, switches, and knobs are laid out for logical use by the right & left hand, with hopefully no criss-crossing of hands involved. Example, key for the left hand, while right is on the throttle & near the mixture. Flap switch might be next to the throttle for use with fingers from the same hand that's holding the throttle during climbout & descent to landing. Left hand on the stick, while right hand tunes radio's, etc.With a desktop CPU, I'm mousing here & there, and hitting the keyboard functions, even though my Saitek joystick/throttle combo has many functions mapped to it. But never the less, I just don't feel I'm operating the functions of a real aircraft in real time. I don't always taxi from the ramp in real time either ........ boring!Besides, I'm more fascinated with four engine prop startup from a spot view... :DOf course, if this startup function is "repaired" then so much the better.L.Adamson

Guest B52Drivr

Hello David, I curious, how many 'beta's' from CS on the Herc did you participate in. I also was on the original beta team, send in my bug reports, and was never contacted again after the 1st beta. I thought this typical from CS as that is exactly what they did on the 707 -- so, tell us, how many did they really have?Best to all, Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Hi Dave,Did CS get the T56 running as it should? Eg, the LSGI, RPM governing, proper torque indications etc....?Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanic

Guest bobsk8

>>sorry to hear that bug, until they fix it, or somebody>finds>>a way to fix it, I won't buy it as I start all my aircraft>>from cold and dark>>I don't. Unlike a real airplane, few controls on my desktop>simulation setup are in the real places for a real time>startup.>>Just taking a real single engine aircraft for instance, most>controls, switches, and knobs are laid out for logical use by>the right & left hand, with hopefully no criss-crossing of>hands involved. Example, key for the left hand, while right is>on the throttle & near the mixture. Flap switch might be next>to the throttle for use with fingers from the same hand that's>holding the throttle during climbout & descent to landing.>Left hand on the stick, while right hand tunes radio's, etc.>>With a desktop CPU, I'm mousing here & there, and hitting the>keyboard functions, even though my Saitek joystick/throttle>combo has many functions mapped to it. But never the less, I>just don't feel I'm operating the functions of a real aircraft>in real time. >>I don't always taxi from the ramp in real time either ........>boring!>>Besides, I'm more fascinated with four engine prop startup>from a spot view... :D>>Of course, if this startup function is "repaired" then so much>the better.>>L.Adamson>A friend of mine fly's a 767 on his PC using a joystick, hits ctrl E to start it, slews to the active, etc.. etc.. Everytime I see him fly, I wonder why he didn't just buy a playstation 2.

My brother is a 130 loadmaster and he gave me his old -1 (flight manual for those of you who aren't in the military). I went through the normal procedures for startup in the -1 and they worked on the CS bird. I'm hoping to get a 130 when I graduate from UPT this December so I have been looking forward for this plane for quite some time. So far, I think it's an exceptional aircraft.

Would you be kind enough to let us in on the correct start procedures if indeed they are wrong in the CS manual?Thanks in advance Craig

Guest Akflyin

Hello Clay,Like you, I was aware of just the original beta testing session. I was never asked to participate in any other ones ans assumed that maybe some of the other beta testers were asked. So far, it appears to me that a majority of the reported beta bugs have been fixed. ( ie. Low speed ground Idle works now etc.... I was able to start the beta version from cold and dark.Fly safeDave in Alaska

Guest Akflyin

Hi John,Yes, The LSGI buttons now work, as well as proper governing. I feel that when they fix the Electrical issue ( GTC Gen doesn't power Essential AC Bus necessary for engine Start )This bird will be a favorite( for me anyway :0)I did fly her last night at 115000 pounds and she flys right on the charted TOLD Data. :0)

Dave, John and Clayton:Hey there. Not sure if you remember me or not, but I too was on the beta team. Like everyone else it seems, I recall there only being one beta. I still look at the Beta Forum from time to time and have posted there since receiving my complimentary copy of the CS C-130. If you recall, there was a post there that said that the beta testing period was over with. That leads me to believe that only one beta was given out to the whole team. If there were more betas, why weren't we involved? As I recall, we all agreed that there were quite a few issues to be worked on with the bird before she would be ready for release.Like Dave, I think that most if not all of our inputs were worked on. The C-130 is in a lot better shape than she was in when we beta tested her! But, also like Dave, I cannot get the aircraft to start using the GTC and ATM. I cannot get the ACE program to save my settings so that when I start FS the plane is how I want it. I also cannot get the aircraft to receive external power, there is no light even letting me know that it is available. My final discrepancy is with my ground textures going blurry at times when flying the Herc. I am not having this issue with any other aircraft in my inventory, which include a lot of very detailed payware aircraft like the PMDG 737NG series and 744, and the LDS as well. Whether this is something related to Ultimate Terrain or BEV not getting along with the CS C-130 remains to be seen, but I am not ruling it out yet. There are more issues than just these, but some, if not most typical users will not notice them unless they actually got hold of a real -1.Overall, I'd say that the aircraft is a lot better than the beta, but there are still some issues that need to be worked on.ChuckC-130E/H/H1 Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAMD 64 3700+ | ASUS A8V Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR400 Corsair TwinX 3200XLC2Pro | WD 120 gig HDD | WD 80 gig HDD | Twin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB Pedals | Nostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Guest JTEK99

Here's a tiny problem I'm having with the "Cockpit Procedures" section of Manual #2, specifically Item #4:4. Fuel governing switches - NORMAL/SAFETIED.I can't seem to find the "fuel governing switches". Any ideas? It's stopped me dead in my tracks as even a complete review of every single panel fails to reveal any switch with a safety guard that could be construed as something utilized for "fuel governance".I know it's simple (it always is), but I can't find them. :)Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Visually, one of the most lovely birds I've seen; now I just need to get her in the air. :)Thanks for any info.

Guest Akflyin

Hello,The fuel governing switches are located on the aft side of the overhead panel. They are safety wired in the normal position and are only used on the ground by maintenance folks who are doing procedures like "Prop Pitchlock checks". The crew is just supposed to verify that they are safety wired before flight. Hope this helpsDave in Alaska

It is probably what Dave said, but looking at where that is placed in the Cockpit Inspection check, I would guess that it should have been labeled Propeller Governing Switches. They are over on the co-pilot's side shelf panel. There should be 4 guarded switches there. Make sure that they are down in the normal position. On the real aircraft, they will not close if the switches themselves are not in the normal governing position. Hope this helps.ChuckC-130E/H/H1 Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAMD 64 3700+ | ASUS A8V Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR400 Corsair TwinX 3200XLC2Pro | WD 120 gig HDD | WD 80 gig HDD | Twin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB Pedals | Nostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg