Sign in to follow this  
WAD3

Retired C-130 FE input concerning CS C-130

Guest shazapis

Hi all,As some may recall I was also on the beta team. I know of 2 beta versions, but apparently (in accordance with CS's post in another thread) there was a third one I did not get (which is just fine with me).I just have a question for Brian and Chuck:Is it normal ops in your planes (I've only flown -H and -:( to reset the engine driven GEN prior to switching it online? As far as I know, RESET and FIELD TRIP are reserved for emergency procedures only...Anyway, I also have the "blurring textures" issue and found out that ussualy ALT-TAB twice (from full screen to window mode and back to full screen) usually rectifies is.It surprises me that someone has managed to start from cold-dark (as I see further down this thread). Is there someone not affected by the ATM-not-powering-ESS AC issue? For me it's only CTRL-E until those nice chaps at CS post a SP.Spiros HazapisAthens, Greece

Guest jmarcure

>>I'm the same- I wonder if this "trait" applies to all r/l>pilots? >>Hi,As a former RL pilot you can count me in. I don't even start-up as I have the plane already sitting on the runway running. I seldom fly to places that require long flight with lots of navigation and never IFR only. I rather follow whatever roads and landmarks I can.Jon

Guest Moosenoodles

I got it started cold and dark after a long while messing about with the electrical powering side of the beast..ATM no idea lol - "following startup to" lol ATM was on i had the red light on with it so never sure if that was correct or not..I found I think im right there is an issue with the, let me explain if I can, lower left side of the bus, u got the 2 rotary dials that are co-pilot something and something else(cant recall right now).Anyway the left one faces down and the light above goes out - the right one is i believe meant to face left ? horizontal laying.. but with me fiddling with battery rotary and the sheilded bus tie switch at teh bottom, i just cat get the light on that one to go out unless i face it downwards also.. Im sure the startup says it should be facing towards the left side (again not sure what they call it power wise) eec or whatever facing..Christ what a messy explanation. lol im sure ull figure it out..Cheers,James..A Flyer u got any info yet :( hehehe

Spiros,Resetting the Engine Driven Generators is not normal for USAF birds either. It is not normal to do it with the ATM Generator switch either. As for starting it up from cold and dark, it can be done, even though there is not ESS AC being powered. Captain Sim has acknowledged that this is a bug. One must just make sure that the Bleed Air Isolations Valves are open and that the ATM is at least powering the ESS DC bus. For users of Captain Sim's C-130 that do not have real world knowledge of, or only partial knowledge of how this aircraft operates: The Wing Isolation Valves in the CS C-130 are not actually set up the way it is in the real aircraft. On preflight, the flight engineer will position the valves to closed using the overhead switches during their inspection, but they have to manually open the Wing Iso Valves before the crew ever attempts to start the engines. This is done after a second interior inspection of the cargo compartment to check for hydraulic leaks after checking out the hydraulic systems. The way that the Wing Iso Valves are constructed, they are powered to the closed position by the switches on the overhead panel, but must be opened manually at the valve itself, back in the cargo compartment. Captain Sim improvised this technique, I assume, instead to keep setup of the aircraft a little bit simpler.If you make sure the Wing Isolation Valves are open, you will be able to start the engines manually, without use of CTRL-E. You will also notice that the engines start very, very quickly also! I asked Captain Sim about the fast start up times when you do manage a cold and dark start. They told me that the timing of an engine start with a propeller is defined by FS itself and nothing can be done about it.When I read that there were at least two betas, if not 3, I feel annoyed. I look right at the CS C-130 Beta Forum and there is a big sticky post at the top that says Beta Testing is Over. This was posted by Tanya Monday, August 29, 2005. If there was a Second Beta, when did it take place, and how did you all as a beta team communicate with one another? Did Captain Sim create a separate, secret Beta 2 forum to keep the select, troublesome Beta 1 testers away? I say troublesome because if we were left out, as we obviously were, it must have been something we said in our reports on the first beta. Perhaps they didn't like all of our questions in the forum. I am not doubting your word Spiros, but it seems that there were quite a few of us that were left out in the cold, yet we were led to believe that as Beta Testers, we were still 'in the know' about the development of this aircraft. It's almost amuzing, and yet, I feel the urge to go off on a rant right now... But I will not rant, as that would be pretty much useless, and may only cause trouble for myself and the moderators on AVSIM's forums. I appreciate AVSIM's generosity in allowing all of us C-130 testers and now users to gather at least and communicate what we know about the bird. I am interested in reading about the beta testing process though after beta 1 was closed out.ChuckC-130E/H/H1 Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAMD 64 3700+ | ASUS A8V Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR400 Corsair TwinX 3200XLC2Pro | WD 120 gig HDD | WD 80 gig HDD | Twin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB Pedals | Nostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/c130/c130-testpilot.gif

Guest shazapis

Chuck hi,The "third beta" info comes right from CS (take some time to search this forum, but on a different thread).I did get a second beta. It was almost identical to the release version (but had only one livery and was very buggy in ACE, a field I could offer very little help). Also, the ESS AC problem wasn't there.So, given the fact that I reported only three very important issues I had with Beta2, the kind that affects the average customer (as they requested), and these three have all been fixed in release version, it seems logical to me that they opted to leave me out of the third phase (that was propably focused on other issues I could not help them with).Beta2 phase was VERY limeted in time and very close to the actual release.Anyway, given some time all these problems/issues will be forgoten and just one simple fact will remain: that we will have a very decent C-130 to play with during the (limited for me...) time we can devote to this hobby. An I think CS should at the very least be appreciated for this.Best of luck in all you future endeavours (are you still active in the AF?)Kind regards,Spiros HazapisAthens, Greece

Spiros,Thank you for the information about the beta. I found it very enlightening.I am still on active duty in the USAF. We are staying very busy, as we have been for the last few years. Anyway, I feel that I was fortunate to get to test the beta, but it came at a price. Currently I am grounded as I had to have back surgery back in early June and then again in August. This is why I was even home or available to beta test the aircaft. I should be able to return to flying in another week or two though, so that is a very good thing.ChuckC-130E/H/H1 Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAMD 64 3700+ | ASUS A8V Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR400 Corsair TwinX 3200XLC2Pro | WD 120 gig HDD | WD 80 gig HDD | Twin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB Pedals | CH Products USB Throttle Quad | Nostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/c130/c130-testpilot.gif

Guest shazapis

Chuck,could you please email me privately at shazapis@softhome.net?Thank youRegardsSpiros HazapisAthens, Greece

Guest Akflyin

Please don't take the following as gospel as it has been several years since working the charts but I hope this helps.Fly safeRE: Retired C-130 FE input concerning CS C-130 Ok see if you can get these first heheh :( Make:-Lockheed Model:-C130-EMax Fuel Capacity:= 9508 Gal. 64654 pounds JP-8 Taxi fuel (gal, fuel consumed during a normal taxi) = 360 GAL, 2500 lbs ( approx. depending on Taxi Distance)Takeoff fuel (fuel consumed during a normal takeoff) = 660 Gal, 4500 lbs ( approx)------------------------------------------------------------------First hour fuel burn(gal) =880 Gal, 6000 lbs ( approx)Subsequent fuel burn per hour after initial first hour(gal) = 588 gal, 4000 lbs ( Approx)Certified Ceiling (ft) = (This is based on Gross Weight. This figured at 143000 lbs. Cruise Ceiling, four engines) 25000 feet --------------------------------------------------------------------Time between overhall hours (TBO) = Engines= 6000 hours. Props= 5000 hoursNumber of hours between annuals = Coast Guard Sends C-130s to Depot level maintenance approx every 4 yrs.not sure about this one..... General list of expenses associated with the aircraft and rough prices$ etc..= Best Guess....5000 hr just to fly airframe. No fuel, oil, wear and Tear, etc added--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The below info is based on the following Aircraft Configuration and Operating ConditionsAircraft Basic Weight= 81000 lbsTotal Fuel=62000 lbs15 deg CSea Level4 engines operating at 100 %Aircraft Gross Weight 143000 lbsRate of climb (ft/min) at sea level = 500 FPM Rate of climb (ft/min) at Service ceiling = ( Based on 3 engine operations at 18000 ft ) 170 to 250 FPM (approx)Indicated climb speed (kts) (during climb) = 173 kias ( 4 engines operating)Sea level climb fuel rate (lbs/hr)~(fuel consumption during a climb at sea level) =4 engine operation at 25000 ft cruise is approx 3000 lbs per hourService ceiling climb fuel rate (lbs/hr)~(fuel consumption during a climb at the ceiling) = Charts for 3 engine operation. Crew would not intiate Climb on three engines if already established at Service CeilingService Ceiling (ft) = (3 eng operation) 18000 ft Rate of descent (ft/min)~(descent rate) = Dependant on holding 175 kias in the descentIndicated descent speed (kts)~(indicated airspeed during descent) = 175 KIAS ( based on maximum range descent with gear and flaps up and throttles at Flight IdleDescent fuel flow (gal/hr)~(default fuel flow during a descent)= 400 lbs based on maximum range descent with gear and flaps up and throttles at Flight Idle.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------There is a few more steps to come lol crazy stuff its advanced deatils see im needing :) If you cant manage all of them just what you can would be fine... Or if anyone else wants to give some gen that be good too..Cheers,James..

Guest Moosenoodles

you beauty :) ill take a read now ...thanks again..James

Guest Akflyin

James,This is based on "H" model Herc with -15 engines:)

Guest Moosenoodles

Thats pretty tough then i take it as the CS 130 does not come with the H model :)how dissimiliar is the H in operations to the E ? any idea.

Guest Akflyin

For purposes of this, I would consider the differences neglible.;0-)

Guest Moosenoodles

for the purpose of this it has to be accurate :)Its for jeppesen flitestar :)james..

Guest Moosenoodles

ok ur data is real handy, i can skip the bits apparently that im not too sure of, but here is the last parts i would like to grab some info on ....here is an example of the table layout that needs some filling.,.55% power |65%power |75%powerAltitude(Ft) Fuel(Lbs) TAS(kts) |Fuel(lbs) TAS(kts)|Fuel(lbs) TAS(kts)-------- ---- --- ---- --- ---- ----------- ---- --- ---- --- ---- ----------- ---- --- ---- --- ---- ----------- ---- --- ---- --- ---- ----------- ---- --- ---- --- ---- ----------- ---- --- ---- --- ---- ----------- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ISA-20C ISA+20C%Fuel Change -------% -------% :) there is a weights box at the side where it says the table ther is for maximum weight...But u can add a specific weight to fill in the table... so if u have any of the info for any specific weights that would be great..The fuel% is the consumptions of course and the TAS both relate to the altitude entered and the power setting entered.. I believe all this data is performance data.That is all i need really for my use right now,, i also wonder if there is a table for this listed below...example - say im at fight idle - what in relation is that too power % ?cause it does ask me for like default decent power in % and holding power in % and default cruising power % they are default set up as all 65% which im sure is wrong..and the final data is the maximum LEG LENGTH of the Herc,, not sure if thats individual or it means the whole range.. i was gonna say 2500nm...Well again thanks if you can get this final data I could do with.. Be interesting to see how it will pan out..cheers,James...P.S #### it looks like forum has moved my setup - just slide the ---- along to under each TAS etc on the table :( sorry dont seem to be able to fix it..