Sign in to follow this  
FlyingEngineer

Upgrade from GTX 770 2GB to GTX 1080 - Worth it?

Hi,

I have become a big fan of LM P3D. Now I consider upgrading my Video Card. Especially when I have more than one cloud layer and cloud shadows activated the frames per second drops dramatically. I wonder whether the GTX 1080 could improve my performance (up to 10FPS).

I already read lots of benchmarks of the card, but can P3D use the (whole) capacity of the card? Some users reported that upgrading from a 770 to 780 or 970 to 980 does not improved their performance.

That is why I am asking.

It would be great if GTX 1080 owners could report their experiences.

Thanks in advance

FlyingEngineer

I am an enthusiastic flight simulator pilot from Germany with strong interests in aeronautics, materials science, engineering and programming. As I was just starting to learn English when I began virtual flying as a child, please excuse the poor English of my earlier posts (2015-2018) 🙂

FlightSim: MSFS2020 | JF BAe 146 Pro - PMDG 737-800 - Fenix A320

System Specs: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA - Intel Core i7 6700K OC  4,3 Ghz - ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC-Edition 11GB GDDR5X - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2666 - Corsair Hydro Series H110i - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit - CH Flight Sim Yoke - CH Pro Pedals

There aren't many 1080 owners yet, it's early days. Might be a while before you get a an answer.

I very much doubt you'll see significant improvements over your current card. You should post your hardware specs.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It might definitely help in a few situations like when using a lot of clouds/shadows, especially if you're also using SGSS.

However P3D is still very much bound to single-core clock speed/performance, so if you don't have a highly overclocked Intel CPU to drive it, there wouldn't be much benefit.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

It might definitely help in a few situations like when using a lot of clouds/shadows, especially if you're also using SGSS.

However P3D is still very much bound to single-core clock speed/performance, so if you don't have a highly overclocked Intel CPU to drive it, there wouldn't be much benefit.

Turn up GPU bound settings like AA at least.

• Upvote 1

If your CPU is good, the jump from a 770 to a 1080 will be pretty much significative in terms of smoothness.

By good i mean a recent quadcore (i5 or i7) with a decent clock of around 4GHz.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Thanks for your answers. I will wait until other user reported their experience, but I think I'll buy it. However, here are my Hardware Specs:

i7 6700K up to 4,2 Ghz (not overclocked)

Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz

ASUS GTX 770 (not overclocekd)

1000W Power Supply

256GB Samsung Pro 840 SSD

FlyingEngineer

I am an enthusiastic flight simulator pilot from Germany with strong interests in aeronautics, materials science, engineering and programming. As I was just starting to learn English when I began virtual flying as a child, please excuse the poor English of my earlier posts (2015-2018) 🙂

System Specs: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA - Intel Core i7 6700K OC  4,3 Ghz - ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC-Edition 11GB GDDR5X - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2666 - Corsair Hydro Series H110i - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit - CH Flight Sim Yoke - CH Pro Pedals

Thanks for your answers. I will wait until other user reported their experience, but I think I'll buy it. However, here are my Hardware Specs:

1000W Power Supply

Looks solid other than that overkill PSU ;)

Looks solid other than that overkill PSU ;)

650w is more than enough. Dont take my word for it there are plenty of tools 

There's no point telling him his PSU is overkill. It's not relevant to the question he asked. He already owns it, it's a decision he has already made, it's not going to change.  :smile:

His System is "solid" whether he has a PSU that has a higher wattage than required or not.

Whether we decide to over spec our PSU's or not is a personnel decision, and there can be advantages. Yes, he could have got away with a lower wattage, but his PSU will cover any future upgrades, including SLI. His PSU will run at, or close to, it's most efficient load and the fan will run at a lower RPM and thus be quieter. May well have better longevity as well considering it isn't over stressed.

I wouldn't have opted for a PSU with 1000 watts either, but it's a personnel decision that relates to money available and needs.

• Upvote 3

To op;

-Run your sim.

- Run GPU-Z

-Maximize window.

- Shift-Z to print FPS. Record number.

- Double click windows titlebar to reduce its size.

- Record FPS number again.

Do that in a broad variety of scenarios (different planes, sceneries, weather).

If the FPS number is greater when window is minimized, and if GPU-Z shows GPU at 99% all the time, then yes, you will have a benefit in upgrading.

Don't forget the 1080 opens the world to a smooth 1440p and/or 2160p, if you're still at 1080p currently and have budget for a new monitor.

1000W Power Supply

if you upgrade to a GTX 1080 , you will easily have one of the best gaming systems for the next 2-3 years , and will not need to upgrade till then, your 770 now is a poor card if you plan to run at higher settings or resolutions, i have a 780 and i know for sure its reaching its end of life :D

,In flight sims you will see massive differences in X-plane 10 and P3D , P3D mostly with AA and clouds etc but much better nonetheless . Again the magnitude of differences is a variable based on what ad-dons you run ,what resolution you run etc....

my suggestion ;

if you have the budget ;

1) go for gtx 1080 and try to overclock your 6700k to at least 4.5-4.6 (if your chip lets you and you are capable and willing to do so).

2) get a separate SSD for your OS and separate for your game ; P3d or whatever...

3) i have not much idea how DDR4 is performing these days , as i am still on a haswell 4th gen system ..so no suggestion there but , lower timings with high freq (with a limit)  always better with RAM.

My suggestions only make your system a complete gaming rig, NOT what you may desire but its only a suggestion and you are free to ignore it :) Complete your system with the above upgrades and never (hopefully) will you ever come to hardware forums for a while ( 2-3 years)

• Upvote 1

I went from a 670 to a 980Ti running on a Dell Ultrawide 34 @ 3440 x 1440.

In P3D when displaying any amount of clouds it was pretty much a slideshow. Now I have 40 fps + on full overcast, smooth as anything with 4x sparse grid sampling or whatever it is.

If you don't want to pay for the 1080 a 980Ti would be a massive improvement plus you can save some cash as there are some good deals to be had on the 980 series.

Using GPU-Z my 980Ti memory isn't even above 25% utilised so there's plenty of headroom yet for memory load. I'd say the new Pascal would be overkill for a setup similar to mine.

2) get a separate SSD for your OS and separate for your game ; P3d or whatever...

Not necessary in my opinion. I've never done that to be honest. Even less necessary now.

Thanks for all the answers. I'll wait until the ASUS GTX 1080 Strix is available at my country. But my biggest problem is VAS at the moment (see other topic).

FlyingEngineer