Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

Preliminary Review

It doesn`t matter if you are a flight simmer or a beginner.

ugly graphics is ugly graphics, bug is bug, and poor lesson/mission design is poor lesson/mission design- period

• Upvote 2

ugly graphics is ugly graphics, bug is bug, and poor lesson/mission design is poor lesson/mission design- period

ok so let me ask you this ...

1: what level of of training for a beginner do you want to get for 15$ ???

2 : how much detail you wish to get for 15$ ??? 

as a CFI CFII MEI i dont have the amount of hours that i wanted but i did my fair share . come on tell me what level of training will make you happy for 15???

by the way before you answer the question let me remind you that there are things in PPL training that when presented to a beginner  will stear the hell away of anyone thats trying to learn how to fly a game  ... come on tell me since you want tp of the line content for 15$ .....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I bought my first PC in 1987 or so, and flight simulator was one of the first programs I installed.  I'm sure many of you remember the "graphics" were nothing more than simple recreations of flight instruments, runways looked like rectangles, and nothing really beyond that.  What drew me to it was a love of airplanes and desire to learn more about how they worked.  FS fueled my passion for aviation to the point the I got my license, but I never stopped "playing" flight simulator and I always looked forward to the next release from Microsoft.  When Aces Studio was closed I was so disappointed, but I've been so appreciative of the developers that have kept the dream of aviation on the PC alive.  The add ons, scenery, utilities, etc are just so incredible today.  I think any attempt to develop an "entry level" simulation is frankly a waste of resources.  If you want entry level, just dial down all of the realism settings in FSX Steam and have at it.  What we have today is light years ahead of what was on those 5 1/4" floppies from 1987.  To me, the future is in the next generation of FSX.  Where would we be if Aces had remained opened over these past 7-8 years?  I also think we have to stoke that passion for aviation.  Unfortunately, learning how to fly a real plane has gotten so expensive, but that is the only way you can really learn to fly a plane. I don't care how good the graphics, or how good the missions, until you get that seat of the pants feel of sitting in the PIC seat, until you can get that adrenaline rush from your first solo, no simulator is going to be able to teach you how to fly a plane.  On the other hand, I recently "flew" from KLAX to KSFO in the early evening, and I was amazed at how "real" it looked on my PC.  I hope I live to see the day that I can throw on a pair of VR goggles and see that same flight at 90 fps!  I love what DTG has done with FSX, P3D is fantastic, and hopefully Flight School is one of the intermediate steps to bigger and better things!

• Upvote 1

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

Well, I have to say that I am satisfied. For 15 bucks (euros) its a deal. I have only few hours flight time, but I like it. Sure, there are some bugs, color correction bad, but its still much better than FSX, I mean graphically. I run on maxed settings about 60-70 fps which is absolutely amazing! And without tweaking or anything. I purchased it just to see. what DVT has to offer and I think they will put a lot of work into flight school and new sim in the future.  

- sorry for my english, its my second language :smile:

• Upvote 1

Hi mknap, what hardware are you using to get 60 FPS on max settings? I'm getting 60 FPS and running pretty smooth but I had to tweak the config file and reduce some terrain settings. It still looks good though. I agree it's a decent amount of entertainment for $15 and I'm satisfied with the purchase. I'm also finding some bugs and am filing tickets with DTG in the hopes they will fix them. DTG support has been responsive so far.

Barry Friedman

Then the EULA should clearly state "Usage of this game is forbidden for anyone with prior experience in flight simulation"

Come on Michael.  :He He:
Do you believe that prohibition would prevent existing flight simmers from DTG Flight School game play?

When it comes to P3D (EULA), so please remember it is forbidden:

"1. to hold the attention of pleasantly or agreeably; divert; amuse.
substantiv: the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment.
synonymer: amusement, pleasure, leisure, recreation, relaxation, fun, enjoyment, interest,..."

Certainly not a simulator for newbies who wants an enjoyable hobby!  :drinks:

ugly graphics is ugly graphics

That's correct. 
But what do you expect from a cheap game that has the task to visualize the earth?
I think it's acceptable out of the box.
Dovetail requesting feedback relating errors, bugs, etc.

I'm also finding some bugs and am filing tickets with DTG in the hopes they will fix them. DTG support has been responsive so far.

Hope more will follow your constructive attitudes and gives Dovetail required feedback. They ask for it.  :smile:

THIS! And I repeat myself over and over: it is understandable that DTG continues to insist that DTG Flight School is not made for "us", the experienced simmer, yet the ONLY advantages of DTG Flight School over FSX, FSX:SE, MS Flight and Prepar3d are exactly THOSE things that only "us", the experienced simmers, can actually properly judge. For those that are not "us", 64bit is not an achievement but standard nowadays, for those beginners, nice graphics should be standard, only "us" can judge if DTG Flight School is a leap forward or not, for the beginners, the novel GUI is nothing spectacular, plain standard, only for "us" it is better than the cumbersome GUI of the older flightsims. And so on.

• Upvote 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Hi mknap, what hardware are you using to get 60 FPS on max settings? I'm getting 60 FPS and running pretty smooth but I had to tweak the config file and reduce some terrain settings. It still looks good though. I agree it's a decent amount of entertainment for $15 and I'm satisfied with the purchase. I'm also finding some bugs and am filing tickets with DTG in the hopes they will fix them. DTG support has been responsive so far.

Hi fshobby, I am using i7-4970k (overclocked i think at 4,5GHz - I dont know exactly I am at work), MSI GTX 960 4GB (new 1070 would be better :D) and 12GB RAM.And I am running WIN10 :) Yesterday I uninstalled all my graphic drivers, turned off everything from nvidia and installed brand new drivers. Today I want to play with nvidia inspector and see what can I get :)

Yeah, I think DTG will continue their hard work and optimise it even more.