Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Do any of the programs designed to boost performance actually work?

No, they don't work - what does work is a properly set up computer and a properly set up installation of FSX. There is no magic.

DJ

I recommend FSX Booster, and or P3DBooster for P3D 1.4, Picked up 15 to 20 FPS, for $10 Bucks !! - Johnman B)

In 2006 FSX was designed with future Intel processor performance expected.

The best way to boost your FSX frames per second is to purchase a fast Intel CPU, overclock it to at least 4.0GHz [unless the CPU is already running at that speed default - few are], and adjust some of your FSX scenery settings down a little.

FSX was also designed for Nvidia, and a mid range card is all you need.

I believe in magic. But the problem with magic is that it's often unreliable. All these "performance boosters" are junkware. Magic won't help with FSX nor will they. ubersu has it right.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Yes they work!!  They all work!! They do exactly what they are designed to do--separate you from your money.

• Upvote 3

Well there You Go, I'm just a Contented Customer of "FSX Booster", SORRY guys But it does work, My FPS jumped 15 to 20 +, in FSX, FSX SE, and P3D 1.4, the Program Costs +- $10 Bucks, No where Near what You would Pay for an Airport or Airplane. I agree with Ubersu about setting up Your Computer Properly, and Cleaning out Your Caches, and making sure Your Hard drive is Dragged ! If You Haven't tried it , DON"T Run it down, Because it does work, I know this because I use it !!. Johnman B)

From an interview with the author of FSX booster:

What would you say is the cause of persons using this program and not seeing any improvement in their FSX performance? are there other factors to a person’s computer that influences the performance of FSX?

Answer..

"There are only two possibilities:

1) User had already applied the correct tweaks with their correct values... 

2) fsx.cfg is so damaged or 'broken' by the continuing tweaking or by misuse , that the application cannot read it correctly in order to apply its own tweaks"

http://www.avsim.com/index.php/_/reviews/fsx-booster-2013-version-14-r1702

Bert

Ioli System Mechanic certainly improves running my FSX even given my computer is fast. .  Run it before starting FSX and the start time is much quicker, probably due to cleaning out all the junk files.  I have this program on five computers, These programs are a personable choice, some have try before buy which is a good way to experiment.

Echofox

Thanks Bert, correct answer from my perspective as well, also thanks for the link ( I did not know it was out there).

Also makes it easy to tweak CFG for different aircraft and flying situations, without having to manually go into CFG.

From an interview with the author of FSX booster:

What would you say is the cause of persons using this program and not seeing any improvement in their FSX performance? are there other factors to a person’s computer that influences the performance of FSX?

Answer..

"There are only two possibilities:

1) User had already applied the correct tweaks with their correct values... 

2) fsx.cfg is so damaged or 'broken' by the continuing tweaking or by misuse , that the application cannot read it correctly in order to apply its own tweaks"

http://www.avsim.com/index.php/_/reviews/fsx-booster-2013-version-14-r1702

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

What about 'FSPS FSX FIBER ACCELERATOR'?

According to this test 'it works':

I use FSPS FSXBooster2013 to choose and set my initial fsx.cfg settings and in-flight I run FSPs Fibre Accelerator.  With these applications managing the variety of .cfg variables, I don't get any graphics artefacts at all, whereas, flying the same scenario without them, I do.  Fibre Accelerator gets me through those graphic-intensive areas which claw down frame rates.

I am no beginner at flight simming, and have reasonable IT skills, certainly enough to change some values in a text file (fsx.cfg) with Notepad.  Unlike those respondents above , what I don't have is time, inclination and patience to research, fiddle and tweak, nor money to spend on a computer upgrade.  

We have to speak as we find, and I find FSPS FSXBooster 2013 works for me, and so I offer this for what it's worth, a small amount of money spent on trying the same might make that laptop a viable platform for your simming.  If not, no great loss.

The only caveat I have is that FSPS Fibre Accelerator, whilst it creates a fsx.cfg backup, leaves its amended fsx.cfg in place on exit.  Maybe this is a problem on my side, but I just copy and paste the original back in.

• Upvote 1

To the OP:

I own it too...and it doesn't work. For any given set of .cfg parameters the performance difference is not noticeable. From the article to which you referred us:

"Though the booster can facilitate an increase in frame rate performance, ALL OF THE INCREASE CAN BE ATTRIBUTED TO THE MODIFIED AND REDUCED DISPLAY SETTINGS."  and  "There's no free lunch when it comes to increasing FSX frame rate performance. For a given set of computer components, particularly including a given processor speed, INCREASED PERFORMANCE IS ACHIEVED BY SELECTIVE REDUCTIONS OF DISPLAY SETTINGS."

So, I say again.....IT DOESN'T WORK!

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.