Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Do any of the programs designed to boost performance actually work?

Actually it does, by reducing your Display settings.. :wink:

Bert

I use FSPS FSXBooster2013 to choose and set my initial fsx.cfg settings and in-flight I run FSPs Fibre Accelerator.  With these applications managing the variety of .cfg variables, I don't get any graphics artefacts at all, whereas, flying the same scenario without them, I do.  Fibre Accelerator gets me through those graphic-intensive areas which claw down frame rates.

I am no beginner at flight simming, and have reasonable IT skills, certainly enough to change some values in a text file (fsx.cfg) with Notepad.  Unlike those respondents above , what I don't have is time, inclination and patience to research, fiddle and tweak, nor money to spend on a computer upgrade.  

We have to speak as we find, and I find FSPS FSXBooster 2013 works for me, and so I offer this for what it's worth, a small amount of money spent on trying the same might make that laptop a viable platform for your simming.  If not, no great loss.

The only caveat I have is that FSPS Fibre Accelerator, whilst it creates a fsx.cfg backup, leaves its amended fsx.cfg in place on exit.  Maybe this is a problem on my side, but I just copy and paste the original back in.

I can't comment about FSX Booster but I used Fiber Accelerator before I updated my system and it gave me about a 15-20% FPS improvement in challenging scenery which made the difference between being playable and not. I know that it changes graphics settings on-the-fly but, unlike some others who have tried it, I never noticed it when it happened. However, I'm not sure that it would make as much (if any) difference with a modern, fast CPU/graphics card combination.

gliderdriver, to keep your original fsx.cfg intact, make sure that you close down Fiber Accelerator before you exit FSX - it's apparently designed to restore the previous .cfg file but only if FSX is still running.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I don't run any accelerators or tweaking programs and my setup runs fairly well. 

FSX was also designed for Nvidia, and a mid range card is all you need.

True on the Nvidia part, but a high end CPU should be paired with a high end GPU whenever possible. Otherwise one will bottleneck the other. 

Poor performance in FSX these days is usually caused by add-ons, not by FSX itself. 

After I posted that I thought....someone is going to say it works because it reduces the display settings. You got me Bert..... :dance:

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

After I posted that I thought....someone is going to say it works because it reduces the display settings. You got me Bert..... :dance:

Doug

Beat me to it Doug! Doh!!!  :Party: