Sign in to follow this  
MM

France Part 1: Alps and Côte d'Azur

France01 Alps and Côte d'Azur

Today we journey from Grenoble (LFLG) in the French Alps to Saint-Tropez on the Côte d'Azur. We begin by tracking eastward into the Romanche valley to climb to the Alpe d'Huez (famous both as a ski resort and as the iconic mountain climb of the annual Tour de France). The Alpe d'Huez altiport (LFHU) is not in FSX so you will want to install the scenery. Landing here optional. (This is an attractive challenge.) Next we fly east through high Alpine passes to Mont-Dauphin Saint-Crépin (LFNC). Then take off southward over the classic Vauban fortification (on the UNESCO list) through the mountain passes and descend into the isolated Ubaye valley and land at Barcelonnette (LFMR). Continuing westward, at the confluence with the Durance, make a quick turn at Tallard, noting the Château de Tallard, and land at the aerodrome (LFNA). Heading along the autoroute we proceed to the national gliding center located on the turf field at Château-Arnoux Saint-Auban (LFMX).       

Turning back east, we slow down to take in the beauty of the Verdon Gorge (Les Gorges du Verdon). The steep rocky faces and turquoise waters make this one of Europe's most dramatic canyons. Flying low through the canyon walls is probably illegal and certainly risky. We proceed to the northern end at Castellane and then turn southeast to visit the historic gliding field at Feyance (LFMF).     

For a change-of-pace, continue southeast to the coastline and the big international airport at Nice (LFMN) for a quick touch-and-go. (The airport authorities have asked us not to loiter.) Then east over the old city of Nice and Villefranche to circle over the Principality of Monaco. Be sure to fly low over the stadium, palace, and yacht-filled harbor. (This city scenery may disappoint.) Then circle back westward returning along the Côte d'Azur over Cap-Ferrat, Antibes, the Île de Sainte-Marguerite, and into Cannes Mandelieu (LFDM) to join in with the jet set jets. Finally, we turn southwest to the chic harbor of Saint-Tropez and land at interesting La Môle (LFTZ).         

Flightplan     
Available
here.

Aircraft       
The route is 273nm so we shall need a GA aircraft in the 160-180kts cruise speed range. Given the "mountain" and "canyon" flying, a sport aircraft might be fun. Say a Beech Bonanza or a Vans RV7 or a SF.260 or even a Lancair Legacy. I shall fly the Real Air SF.260. As always, fly whatever you like.

Scenery
FTX Global textures, FTX Global Europe landclass (or equivalent), and a decent mesh will make everything more interesting.   
For airports, we can appreciate Guy Nemoz having built (and upgraded to FSX) sceneries in the Alps and on the Riviera. These are excellent freeware quality and populate the airports with buildings, parked aircraft and people. In particular, we shall land at the Alpe d'Huez (LFHU) which is not in FSX and needs a presence. (The Nemoz website, in French, is
here.) [Nemoz suggests that you turn off crash detection: some of the small older sceneries may have problems. In addition, for LFHU you should set your mesh detail at 10m, even if your mesh is not that precise.]

You might install three scenery packages. The first two are single entries and to be installed as normal. The third is a composite of seven airports collected together to minimize your hassle.      
1. VFR-AIR objects library. (You do need the objects library.) Download the objects library
here.     
2. LFTZ La Mole Saint-Tropez (with some photoreal textures, February 16, 2016). Download LFTZ
here.     
3. A composite set of five smaller airports (LFNC, LFMX, LFLG, LFMR, LFNA) plus Cannes Mandelieu (LFMD) plus the Alpe d'Huez (LFHU). (Older textures are made DX10 compatible.) [Also included is a "waterclass" by Norbert Clauze. "WC_verdon_Norbert_Clauze.bgl" will alter the color of the Verdon river to its splendid turquoise hue.] We shall use all of these sceneries. This composite package is available
here.

Installation hints.    
(i) Note that the composite has two "sceneries" that have LOW and HIGH priority respectively. Place the HIGH priority such that when you look at the scenery list in the FSX Scenery Library interface, HIGH_PRIORITY is listed above LOW_PRIORITY.         
(ii) Be sure to put the airport altitude adjustments into the [FSXROOT]/Scenery/World/Scenery folder. [This for the Composite package: LFHU, LFMX and LFNC.]  

Where and When

Date and time: Saturday 4 June 2016, 1800 UTC
Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet! (linked here)

Note to Ron: I suggest a server start time around 1430Z so that we can get into La Môle Saint-Tropez before it closes.

FRA01_SF.260_LFHU.jpg

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

The route, pre-flight WX, MEA's, general terrain familiarity & navaids can be found in an easily foldable format - here.

folding_map_1.gif

Can't keep me away from radials sooo... I'll be watching over you gents - keeping you in check.

May be late, Fly-in @ KMTW, will catch up if so. 

3.jpg?dl=0

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

In order that I don't screw up the installation too badly, is this how one would install the LFTZ entry?  Effect contents goes into FSX/Effects, correct?  The cloche in the sound folder goes into FSX/sound, correct?  Then copy LFTZphoto1 folder to Addon Scenery and install to FSX scenery library like any other addon, correct? 

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Yes, Stew. Those are Nemoz's instructions exactly.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Ron,  I don't quite know how to install your SF.260, what with left and right seats, et.al., etc.

I guess it's futile to try to enter this entire flight plan into the GTN750??  Maybe ignore the various waypoints and gorges reference points and enter only the airports?

Stew

You quote Latin at me and can't figure out a README? :BigGrin:

Presumably you have RealAir's SF-260. It's like having two separate aircraft. Two folders in your Airplanes folder. One of them is RealAir SF-260 and the other one is RealAir SF-269 Left Seat.

In real life the 260 is piloted from the right hand seat, but RealAir provided an alternative for us that are more at home in the left seat.

(How am I doing so far? :smile: )

Just pretend you're installing two separate paints. The leftie folder is almost empty as it calls for textures from the right hand version.

Pant, pant, pant!

Now, put that classical education to good use. Bonam fortunam amicus, :wink:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Gratias tibi ago, Ron.  Clear as mud!    :P  I don't have the SF-260, thus my confusion.  :fool:

On second thought, can I install 'em into Mike's Proxy?

Stew

Good idea. :good:

Google Translate's getting a hammering today. :lol:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hi,

Looks a very interesting route. I will probably not be able to fly with you, I have to attend a dancing performance of my younger granddaughter. Same event as a couple of weeks ago for the older granddaughter....

Maybe it is finished in time for the last couple of legs.

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Gunter, we shall miss you. Granddaughters are more important! (If you are able to sneak in for the last legs, we shall be delighted.)

Stew, the Proxy is a "stand-in" for the payware RealAir SF.260. It is a freeware SF.260 by Giovanni Quai with a red paint that looks vaguely like the one that I'll be flying. (The aircraft.cfg title and other identifying information have been altered to match the RealAir version.) Just install that plane and, if the FSX multiplayer gods are friendly, you should get an image that resembles the Marchetti. Note, however, the RealAir SF.260 paints will not fit the Giovanni Quai SF.260. The idea of a "Proxy" is that you will see something like a SF.260 rather than a Trike or a Cessna. (The provision of a Proxy allows pilots who do not have the payware aircraft to see something reasonable.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Thanks, Mike.  That's my understanding of the Proxy, too.  We'll have to see if I'll be able to see Ron's.  I'm kinda doubtful, but am open to be pleasantly surprised.

Stew

Stew, 

If you're going to use MIke's Proxy why not add Ron's "title" to a new paint since he's going to be flying a SF-260 too.

Add the following after the first complete paint entry ( [fltsim.0] ) in Mike's proxy and save it.

[fltsim.1]
title=SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 Left HB-EWQ
//title=SIAI-Marchetti SF-260 Red
sim=SIAI-Marchetti SF-260
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=Red
kb_checklists=
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline= 
//atc_flight_number=N700RD 
atc_id=HB-EWQ
//ui_manufacturer=SIAI-MARCHETTI-AERMACCHI
//ui_type=SF-260
//ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
//ui_createdby="G. Quai"
//ui_variation="Red" 
ui_manufacturer=SIAI-Marchetti
ui_type=SF260
ui_variation=Rons Proxy
ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="RealAir"
description=The Siai-Marchetti SF.260 is an aircraft marketed as Light attack/aerobatic military trainer. It was designed by (the great) STELIO FRATI. First flight of the prototype on July 15, 1964.

Hey, thanks, Roman.  I don't know much about making these adaptations.  I can add different paints to an already existing aircraft, but that's where my expertise ends!  :smile:

Stew

That's basically what's happening Stew, you're adding a new paint entry but sharing the same paint folder/.bmps etc.. Mike & Ron's aircraft will look the same and they "should" show up in the sim in MP.. Better than a trike! 

Cya tomorrow.