Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

X-Plane 10 Scenery_Packs.ini Correct Order ?

Hello  :smile:

I'm trying to populate England with some extra Scenery.  I'm putting Photo Scenery down first and then the rest on top. 

So far I have installed

VFR Photo Scenery England,

Alpilotx (Andreas) Treelines_Farms, 

Default England X-Plane Buildings & Roads by Blue Bottle (Xplane.org),

My Question

Is this Scenery Order correct?  I'm completely confused as to where the absolute correct position should be?   

27116860780_fd744f26f7_o.png

Hi Poppet,

photoscenery files should be placed at the bottom of the scenery_packs.ini (but above the mesh files if you have them, those must be at the very bottom), and treelines should be placed right above the photoscenery.

Don't know if KLAL and KOSH are airports, if so they should be above the Global Airports... is that your full .ini?

AlfaMike

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

I have tried to shed some light on the issue of Scenery Management here:

Jan

hello elaine ,

where did you purchase the VFR england pack :/ cant to seem to find it except in DVD versions and that too out of stock ...

Is this Scenery Order correct?  I'm completely confused as to where the absolute correct position should be?

First of all, I suggest reading through this very helpful article: http://asn-xp.aerosoft.com/?page_id=9708

That article should give you a good basic knowledge of how scenery and the order thereof works in X-Plane. It's quite simple once you get the basics.

Next, thanks to community member Mattijs, there's no need to mess with the ini file. He made the absolutely wonderful xOrganizer tool for us to use:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/31085-xorganizer-windows/

It changes the ini nightmare to a simple drag and drop procedure. I suggest clicking "show help" after installing it to see how it works and what it can do. At first, you'll have to sort some scenery it has trouble identifying into the appropriate folder inside of xOrganizer. If you end up deciding that it's not for you, it also lets you revert to your previous ini file easily. However, I am sure that you will not regret it.

As for your actual current question, as others have said, the photo should be at the bottom of your list. You will also want to put the lower 5 airports above the treelines and England buildings.

Thank you all for your replies  :hi:

Hi Poppet,
photoscenery files should be placed at the bottom of the scenery_packs.ini (but above the mesh files if you have them, those must be at the very bottom), and treelines should be placed right above the photoscenery.
Don't know if KLAL and KOSH are airports, if so they should be above the Global Airports... is that your full .ini?

Ok i have been busy,  I download Tom Knudsens X-plane Installer to give me most of the Required files to add Airport Scenery and so on and i Installed Opensceneryx + 3rd People,  I then Installed Newcastle Airport from the .org store.  

Everything looks pretty good, But as you can see from my Scenery order I'm not sure where everything goes,   The Tom Knudsen X Plane Installer is only Tools yes?  So i can put them anywhere yes? 

Have a peep and see what you think 

27415236645_9f992d62f1_o.png

I have tried to shed some light on the issue of Scenery Management here:

Thank you Jan for the link,  very useful and well made video. 

First of all, I suggest reading through this very helpful article: http://asn-xp.aeroso...m/?page_id=9708

Perfect Thank you Marius, Ill check that out next 

First of all, I suggest reading through this very helpful article: http://asn-xp.aeroso...m/?page_id=9708

I'm having trouble myself Getting Volume 1 but you can get Vol 3 and 2 here

http://www.fspilotshop.com/plane-vfr-scenery-vol-north-wales-north-west-p-3827.html

http://www.fspilotshop.com/plane-vfr-scenery-vol-south-west-south-wales-p-3826.html

Some here as well.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vfr+scenery+x+plane

Full set here

http://rcsimulations.co.uk/epages/93a3f77d-847d-4ca9-8b2d-6a951e9b272d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/93a3f77d-847d-4ca9-8b2d-6a951e9b272d/Products/XPSBUNDLE

I had a strange experience installing the scenery for Madeira, as in the Read Me it wanted me to delete the scenery_packs.ini file. I backed it up beforehand but deleting it messed up all the MisterX6 airports I already had, so I restored the old file and moved Madeira down to the bottom. Don't know why it worked but it did!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Question: 

Can Scenery_Pack order have an Impact on Frame rate?  "FPS"   Or is it safe to say that the only Impact it could have is not seeing your Scenery ? 

I loaded in this Order and my Frame Rate and flying over the Uk it went down to 5  :smile:

27403310721_0a8b0fbbc1_o.png

Question: 

Can Scenery_Pack order have an Impact on Frame rate?  "FPS"   Or is it safe to say that the only Impact it could have is not seeing your Scenery ? 

I loaded in this Order and my Frame Rate and flying over the Uk it went down to 5  :smile:

27403310721_0a8b0fbbc1_o.png

Not sure about the fps issue but something else is wrong: world-models should be down with the libraries, and I see EGNT-tdg is down with the libs. I suggest swapping both.

Sorry Elaine, I missed your post!

Libraries are the only items that doesn't care about their placement inside the list so you can put them whenever you want, speaking for myself in order to have a 'clean and organised' .ini I'm used to group all libraries putting them right after the global airports but it's just my mindset... as the World Models is the first item in the list I'd say that it was the last addition to the Custom Scenery folder so XP automatically put it on the top of the .ini.

I agree with Marius about EGNT, unless you intentionally moved down in the list it should be put before the Global Airports (as well as KLAL, KOSH, KSEA and LOWI), else you'll see the Global one instead.

About the frame rate impact due the wrong order I'm not aware about such a possibility, never heard anything about that.

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

I loaded in this Order and my Frame Rate and flying over the Uk it went down to 5 

Elaine, Scenery_pack order does not affect FPS, the culprit is a Library (which I can'r recall which one it is...sorry) that is included and installed with Library Installer, I had the same issue in UK, once removed FPS were back to normal.

Once I get home from work.I will try to find out which one it was and will post.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Not sure about the fps issue but something else is wrong: world-models should be down with the libraries, and I see EGNT-tdg is down with the libs. I suggest swapping both.

Oh very good i see that now,  I will change them around.

Libraries are the only items that doesn't care about their placement inside the list so you can put them whenever you want, speaking for myself in order to have a 'clean and organised' .ini I'm used to group all libraries putting them right after the global airports but it's just my mindset... as the World Models is the first item in the list I'd say that it was the last addition to the Custom Scenery folder so XP automatically put it on the top of the .ini.

I agree with Marius about EGNT, unless you intentionally moved down in the list it should be put before the Global Airports (as well as KLAL, KOSH, KSEA and LOWI), else you'll see the Global one instead.

Ok,  i get what you mean now about the Library's and putting the the Add On Airports before Global,  thank you 

Elaine, Scenery_pack order does not affect FPS, the culprit is a Library (which I can'r recall which one it is...sorry) that is included and installed with Library Installer, I had the same issue in UK, once removed FPS were back to normal.

Yes Carlos it was a strange one alright,  one second i was tipping away at 30 FPS and the next im down to 5\6 fps.   It would be great if you figured out which Library you had problems with,  

But don't worry if you cant remember,  I'm going to experiment with it tonight anyway,   I will start fresh, do a flight and confirm stability,  I will add my Airports and Library's back in slowly to see what happens.

I can run P3D on nearly full whack so i'm pretty sure my system is ok,  Its just probably something small I'm missing

I will report back  

I know I'm starting to sound like a shady insurance dealer, but I really can't recommend xOrganizer enough for a case like this (it's free in case you hadn't realized). It will remove any headache the whole scenery ini management can cause with a few minutes of initial work.

A sudden fps drop like that is often the case when you hit your VRAM limits. Your card definitely has enough of that, but just to be sure.. could you give us a screenshot of your rendering settings?

Very good Marius,  that's next Deffo on my list.

===============

I think i have stabilized things,  I done a good 45 minutes in the Carenado B200 without a problem.

I removed all the Library's and just left the Photo Scenery at the bottom,  I really wanted to see the lights and buildings over the Photo Scenery so I popped Treelines_Farms and Default England X-Planes Buildings & Roads over it.  

As you can see from the image these 4 Entries are at the bottom,  The other airports CZST and EHAM are from Steam (Nothing Else) 

27457717101_f57c2758a2_o.png

With the follow settings and Sky Maxx Pro I'm getting a solid 27/28 with the above scenery.  The fact I'm using Photo Scenery i shouldn't be picking "Stuff To Draw"  but since i have the Default X-Plane Buildings Scenery on top of the Photo Scenery i can now adjust my cars and building lighting.    I have "Cloud Puffs" at 10% I'm not sure if Sky Max Pro actually over rides this or Not. 

I'm not sure with Photo Scenery about "Extended DSF Scenery"  Do i need this?? 

27253324540_767557de0d_o.png

My GPU usage is bouncing between 55% and 60% with these settings,  (Its 49% because i have it paused)

The Photo Scenery and fluffy clouds from Sky Maxx Pro look well together   

27457720241_aa490f80a5_o.png

This was important to me,  To get them night lights working over Photo Scenery,  Very happy with this.  

27253322760_3b0b23e69b_o.png

So,  I am happy i have stabilized the Sim and its running pretty smooth.  I will now start adding a couple of the UK Airports and Library's back in and see how that goes 

Looks like you're making good progress. Props to you for sticking with it.

- You have compress textures checked and VRAM is very clearly not the issue.

- Skymaxx doesn't care about the cloud puff setting. It has its own settings. (Also make sure you update this to the new 3.2)

- Extended DSFs load tiles further out, but can be performance hogs that use a lot of RAM. 16 should be okay, but I am not sure. Maybe have an eye on RAM usage when/if fps drop again. 64-bit means X-Plane will take and devour what it can get ;)

- Your "stuff to draw" settings are pretty high. A lot of objects, lots of traffic, very high world detail coupled with global shadows on medium will definitely present a challenge to most rigs.