Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

X-Plane 10 Scenery_Packs.ini Correct Order ?

Regarding scenery order: I try to keep the library files together by using a zL prefix to the Custom Scenery file. Example: zL OpenSceneryX. This keeps the libraries near the bottom and together. I haven't noticed any problems doing this. Ortho Scenery can be zO and so forth.

I hope Laminar Research will come up with a scheme to automatically and properly order the scenery files.

Jim Morgan

Mmmmm.... as far I understood what you mean this seems to me not to be totally exact.

Once you manually edit the .ini and move the libraries at the bottom they will stay there unless you'll delete the library folder(s) from the Custom Scenery or manually edit the file moving them again or delete the .ini itself, no need to put a prefix... by the way, what do you mean by using a prefix?

If you mean by renaming library folders in order to give them an alphabetic order that's not advisable, because some custom sceneries put the original library name inside of their objects' path and changing it will lead those scenery to return many errors when loaded, but if you mean something else I'm willing to know more.

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

Elaine, I seem to remember you being Irish, have you started on, or are you interested in Irish photoscenery? I got Ortho4XP working and it;s producing wonderful scenery for Ireland. I had it all done with G2xpl but Ortho is better.

Hello Propsfan,  thanks for commenting.  Yes i would be very interested in Irish Photo Scenery.   Is Ortho the program with Python?  This is Ortho Yes?

I had a good look around Simheaven.com probably the most confusing website on the planet :smile:  (for a newby anyway) 

Am i rite in saying,  that when i get Ortho4XP up and running........each tile is like a 1 piece of Photo Scenery that i would pop in my Costume scenery folder and this tile is just the flat bit?  Tiles like this http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/Cartes.php

I would then add W2xp Europe,  (Not really sure why though)   Then add OSM on top,  Then add World-Models for houses and clutter and so on 

Do i have it anywhere near correct? 

26939882224_39c26240e7_o.png

Am i rite in saying,  that when i get Ortho4XP up and running........each tile is like a 1 piece of Photo Scenery that i would pop in my Costume scenery folder and this tile is just the flat bit?  Tiles like this http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/Cartes.php

I would then add W2xp Europe,  (Not really sure why though)   Then add OSM on top,  Then add World-Models for houses and clutter and so on 

There is a difference between the Europe and Europe OSM sceneries and you don't need both. The Europe scenery I believe includes autogen the OSM one doesn't. Since the OSM data for Ireland isn't the greatest outside of the major towns, I'd recommend you grab 1 and 3 only. 

With Ortho4XP, yes, each tile is a 1x1 degree area which you generate and just drop into your Custom Scenery folder (Making sure it is below the W2XP sceneries and your airports). I generated all of Ireland quite quickly using the Bing source and it's pretty nice.

I just wish Ordnance Survey Ireland would release their data for free like the OSGB did, so I could create some accurate scenery.

If you mean by renaming library folders in order to give them an alphabetic order that's not advisable, because some custom sceneries put the original library name inside of their objects' path and changing it will lead those scenery to return many errors when loaded, but if you mean something else I'm willing to know more.

There is absolutely no problem with that. Scenery objects and terrain have a virtual path defined in the library.txt, which makes these independant of the folder names and location.

Indeed, the prefix strategy is a good one for people who don't like to edit text files. They just need to delete the scenery_packs.ini now and then.

I use the text editing because I can desactivate some sceneries easily and have different version of it for developement work. Also, it's very easy to move lines or even group of lines up and down in my favorite text editors : Gedit and Geany.

Of course, xOrganizer looks like the perfect tool, but not available for my OS.

Pascal

As far as I can tell I know some people, including myself, that got problems in the past with custom sceneries when renaming libraries folders.

I don't know if those sceneries were developed in a wrong way, speaking about referrals of objects included in external libraries, but for sure there were problems with renamed folders that's the reason I always say that it's not advisable to do that.

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

I didn't know that, and I'm very surprised.

I can see only two ways to have that problem happen:

some very very old library which wouldn't use virtual paths

some scenery which would refer to libraries using the physical path (I don't know if that's even possible)

Anyway, that leaves me baffled.

Pascal

I really don't know which the possibly reason(s) is(are) because that's not my area of expertise... I just found the last problem about this matter: recently (two weeks ago) a friend of mine inadvertently renamed the RUscenery folder and he got some errors while loading custom LIMC, fixing the library name no more errors.

But if doing things the way they must be done there're no problem to rename libraries that's a good thing to know.

Hello Propsfan,  thanks for commenting.  Yes i would be very interested in Irish Photo Scenery.   Is Ortho the program with Python?  This is Ortho Yes?

I had a good look around Simheaven.com probably the most confusing website on the planet :smile:  (for a newby anyway) 

Do i have it anywhere near correct? 

26939882224_39c26240e7_o.png

Yes Elaine you are basically correct. Ortho is hard enough to install but I have the process down now. I installed it for two guys over teamviewer last night so if you need any help with it that's no problem. I find the effect is excellent, especially with rivers and coastlines.

I used W2XP 0.74 for the OSM (couldn't get 0.99 to work), Tony is right the data is sparse but still the effect is excellent overall. I also use trees and farms (AlpilotX) which adds to the overall effect even if I wish I could get rid of the farms bit.

To me it creates as close to the perfect VFR environment as can be had and it's more than close enough for me tbh, I can't speak highly enough of it.

Thanks for giving a specific example, I'll look into it when I find some time.

You're welcome!

That LIMC should be this, if you'll find something please let me know as I'm interested to understand this matter, thank you in advance.

Yes Elaine you are basically correct

There is a difference between the Europe and Europe OSM sceneries and you don't need both

Perfect, Thank you very much,   I will have a good look at it over the weekend.