Sign in to follow this  
vector

FS2004 and Windows XP SP3

Well, I sourced a CD on eBay.  It's from a decommissioned Samsung PC.  I read on the Web that sometimes these copies will only install on a PC made by the manufacturer so as I've built my own computer I'm hoping that everything will work OK.  I won't install XP until I either have to [say a HD failure] or something goes wrong [like Windows 7 screws up on me].

Dijvid

Huh?

Huh?

Many thanks for your well informed reply!  It's greatly encouraged me!

Dijvid

Good move.

I have a vanilla XPSP3 image on a HDD, ready for the day my flightsim box falls over.

It runs FS9 like a dream, it has never seen any interwebby "update" bloat.

There is none better. 

Huh?

Also confused me. Dunno if I want to use a redundant OS, with no support, that is certainly not optimised for modern day hardware.

I'm still happy with my Windows 10 install with my sims that work perfectly, & even a bit smoother than my previous Windows 7!

Oh, make sure it's a 64bit operating system, as a 32bit game such as Flight Sim, will only address a combined memory of RAM & graphics card equalling a maximum of 4GB, whereas a 64bit operating system will let a 32bit game use all 4GB max. Make sure you also have a minimum of 4GB RAM anyway.

interwebby "update" bloat???

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

If only I could find a copy of XP, I'd install it on another machine with fs9. Dream machine indeed.

I found a copy of XP with SP3 on eBay at a very reasonable price.

Dijvid

All you kids and your newfangled toys - it's all been downhill since we stopped running NT 3.51 on SCSI drives. :(

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

All you kids and your newfangled toys - it's all been downhill since we stopped running NT 3.51 on SCSI drives. :sad:

Cheers!

Luke

Oh dear, that's not good to hear.

Aren't SCSI discs a thing of the past now?  They ring a bell somewhere in the remote recesses of my mind.  Why not upgrade to a SATA or SSD disk?  SATA's are very inexpensive and the price of SSDs are coming down all the time.

Dijvid

Aren't SCSI discs a thing of the past now?  They ring a bell somewhere in the remote recesses of my mind.  Why not upgrade to a SATA or SSD disk?  SATA's are very inexpensive and the price of SSDs are coming down all the time.

But NT 3.51 doesn't know how to deal with this new hardware! :)

And that, in all seriousness, is my point - good luck having two-decade-old operating systems like XP support modern hardware to its full potential. Hardware and software moves on. All this clinging to FS9 and XP is really quite unreasonable and unnecessary.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

But NT 3.51 doesn't know how to deal with this new hardware!
But... but... FS2004 was invented long before all this modern hardware.

It doesn't understand all this modern hardware either!

We need an update to FS2004 to maybe FS9.5 standard, to address this!

Oh, wait... we already have that.

Mmm maybe XP SP3 is the best solution after all!

Just run it on a hot Core2Duo with a smoking graphics card, and you'll see.

** Author's note: the first post after this, to bag another sim, will get a 50 demerit point rating for a period of 100 years.

Huh?

I haven't run across W10 trying to 'automatically' Install on my W7 Laptop; maybe I turned Updates off or something because I haven't seen any Update prompts recently, either. One thing, though; W7 boots up much quicker than XP ever did!

One other thing... I think we all realize that from a commercial standpoint, a good number of the current 3rd party Developers consider FS9 to be obsolete. However, for whatever reason we continue to use FS9, and are still very satisfied with the experience; I know I am.

Regardless of the Platform, what matters is how much enjoyment we get out of it. Correct?

Alan  :smile:   

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

But... but... FS2004 was invented long before all this modern hardware. It doesn't understand all this modern hardware either!

It doesn't need to. Every modern operating system (one created in the last 25 years) abstracts away the hardware from the applications.

FS9 doesn't understand *any* of the hardware. All it knows is Win32 and DX9.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin