Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[01JUN16] PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster Released for X-Plane!

Captains!

A few moments ago, all of us at PMDG did something we have been promising to do for about five years.  

We just released our first, natively developed product for X-Plane:  The PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster!

We have been showing you this magnificent product for well over a year now, and we think she is quite simply, the finest simulation of a classic prop-liner yet produced for flight simulation.  This project began with a PMDG site visit to survey one of the last remaining passenger configured DC-6 aircraft in the world, and became a labor of love for the entire team that has created this simulation.

I don't think it is any secret that all of us at PMDG are fans of classic airliners- and the DC-6 is one of the most glamorous of the classic prop liners.  We needed a project that would allow us to learn how to code products natively for use on the X-Plane platform, so choosing a ground-up product that was not our typical fare of glass cockpit airliner-wonders was the goal.  We needed a project that would allow us to focus on the nitty gritty of adding a new platform to our portfolio- and the DC-6 made a magnificent sandbox from which to work.

I think it is safe to say that this product turned out to be FAR more in depth and complex than any of us expected at the outset.  In fact, we promised one another that we were not going to "PMDG" the project, using "PMDG" as a verb to describe the usual process by which we dive far deeper into a simulation project than is probably necessary...  But....

We are PMDG after all... so we did just that.

From the simulation of oil viscosity changing under temperature, to engine balance, to exhaust flame color changing with fuel richness, to vibrations in the airplane showing up in needles...  About the only thing we haven't given you with this product is the wonderful smell of engine oil, avgas exhaust and cracked leather.  (Give us time- we will find a way!)

I find it is hard to express just how wonderfully rich this simulation of the DC-6 truly is.  Whether you are a lover of classic airliners, a lover of radial engines, a lover of airline history, a sim junkie, or just someone interested in learning something a bit different- I encourage you to try this simulation.  For all of her wondrous detail, we have included an Automated Flight Engineer to help simplify your life and help you learn the airplane in baby-steps...

For any of you who, like me, LOVE old airliners...  Welcome home.  I think this one is going to satisfy that part of your soul that smiles when you hear big radial engines at takeoff power!

Today's release is for Windows based X-Plane users.  A Mac version is pending- but hasn't concluded testing as of yet.  (I am going to refrain from offering a timeline on it because we have a few hurdles to clear and Mac OS is a new animal to us...)

Work to convert the DC-6 to FSX/FSX-SE/Prepar3D will begin shortly, but release for those platforms is quite a way off- as we still have to map out how the conversion process will work.  I expect we will update you further on that timeline later this year.  (That is a timeline update- not a release estimate...  Release will be...  quite a ways off still...)  

One interesting note before we turn her loose to you:

The PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster has been created by a team assembled specifically for the purpose of bringing PMDG into the X-Plane marketplace.  Work on that process started nearly 4 years ago with the addition of Chris Powell, who lead this project.  Henning van Rensburg, Jason Brown, Vin Scimone, Armen Cholakian, Pete Sterling and Kyle Rodgers are names you will recognize- as they are veterans of the team- but they have helped to flesh our the X-Plane development process while work on our regular FSX/P3D product lines went on in the background.

These guys did stupendous work- and I think you will like the results!

Okay- we are going to step back and let you have her.  She is a magnificent airplane to fly- we hope you enjoy her as much as we have enjoyed creating her!

• Upvote 9

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thank you, purchased.

Harold Finch

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

Congratulations PMDG team, looks like you've done a manificent job on this re-creation.

Linux user here, still hoping that one day we will be able to hear its beautiful engine roar on that OS as well. Anyway, I'll be patient.

Pascal Lachat

Thanks PMDG!

Unfortunately something went wrong in the sale

Error code 3: This transaction has been declined.

But I'm sure that little bump in the road gets solved soon! (ticket already filed)

Many thanks for creating this beauty and I am looking forward to explore this beauty!

vpa118.png

Rico van Dijk

I'm going to save a cup of used oil after my car's next oil change and put it next to my computer when I fly this plane so it smells right.

Robert, when you get some time it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences, advantages, disadvantages of developing for the FSX vs. the X-Plane platforms.

Ted Striker

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I'm going to save a cup of used oil after my car's next oil change and put it next to my computer when I fly this plane so it smells right.

Robert, when you get some time it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences, advantages, disadvantages of developing for the FSX vs. the X-Plane platforms.

Ted Striker

http://www.avsim.com/topic/489428-what-have-we-learned/

Kyle Rodgers

Whoops. :fool: I better look around before posting. Thanks for that Kyle. Looking forward to reading about it later.

Ted Striker

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Why wait to tell us now that the OS X version wouldn't be released today? 

Mark,

When we laid out our master development plan a few years ago, one of our goals was to make sure that we intentionally delayed the Mac OS version by a couple of days specifically so that we could frustrate you.

Says so right in our company play-book.  "Delay Mac OS version in hopes of annoying Mark Bono."

And people think we don't care about you as individuals!  bah!  :P

Seriously:  Our decision to delay the Mac OS version is because we aren't happy with stability as of this morning.  Had it been the other way around, we'd have released the Mac version and held the Windows version.

That is how we do things...  Try to get it right before it goes to you so we don't annoy you.  (oops... there it is again.  LOL!)

• Upvote 4

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com