Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Just ordered the following for P3D3.3

Hi guys,

I just ordered the following from newegg, I'll see what this can do and then I'll order the other three to complete the setup.

1 - Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Case

1 - MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99   HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

1 - Intel Core i7-6950X 25M Broadwell-E 10-Core 3.0 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80671I76950X Desktop Processor

1 - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4x16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3400 (PC4 27200) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3400C16Q-64GTZ

1 - SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE1T0BW

1 - CORSAIR AX1500i CP-9020057-NA 1500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS TITANIUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC 80 Plus Titanium TÜV Modular ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply Power Supply

3 - Super clocked EVGA Titan Xs (until I setup the projectors and other computers, then its back to one)

1 - Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans

1 - ASUS DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS
  • Upvote 1

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Jealousy is a sin but I admit being a sinner......Have fun with this set:-)

• Upvote 2

Hans

Not sure about the logic of trading frequency for many cores to be honest. Given that frequency is what we require.

Limited overclocking too from what I read. 4.3 to 4.5 GHz.

Games and the sim... no advantage as a result of so many cores, and frame rates no advantage over 6700K.

New architectures usually come with a new chipset too. Broadwell-E though comes with the old X99 chipset. 

And why such a huge amount of RAM that won't be utilized?

I'd be interested in Mike's thinking behind these choices.

I went for the NH-D15S rather then the D15. Only two degrees different and way better compatibility with RAM and further away from the uppermost PCIe slot. 

Scary stuff, scraping Indium solder off such an expensive chip for only a small improvement.  :smile:

Hi,

The thinking behind the 6950X over the 6700K, three reasons: 1. L3 CACHE - On the 6700 its 8mb on the 6950X its 25mb / 2. Physical Cores - On the 6700 its 4 on the 6950x its 10 3. Last but certainly not least, P3D is a program that supports multitread and will utilize the additional physical cores. I'll be running seven computers (multichannel) when I'm done with the setup. 1-P3D3.3+ Server, 3-P3D3.3+s for three projectors and 3-for the sim-avionics interface.

Simming has nothing to do with FPS anymore, its about the load you can put on P3D and still maintain smooth performance. You are not going to load up the 6700K equal to the 6950X and maintain the same smooth performance. I run my 4Ks at 30hz and have P3D locked at 35, even though I can blow those numbers out of the water if I removed Vsync.

I'd pay him to delid my 6950x, but I wouldn't do it myself. :smile:

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi mike, please don't think I'm giving you a hard time. Your PC will be utterly fantastic, I'm sure. It's just that  as someone who intends to adopt P3D when my Skylake rig is finally built, this is important information.

It's also important in terms of those that are about to build and whether the cost of Broadwell-E is worth it, or if they can achieve the same results or similar with the much cheaper Skylake platform.

1. L3 CACHE - On the 6700 its 8mb on the 6950X its 25mb

And is there "definitive" evidence that the bigger cache can fully compensate for the fact that Broadwell E has a much lower frequency? Is the bigger cache really that significant? Does it really garner better smoothness or performance?

P3D is a program that supports multitread and will utilize the additional physical cores.

Is there "definitive" evidence that the 10 extra cores will be fully utilized? And will the utilization of those cores fully compensate for the much lower frequency of Broadwell-E? Are we certain that there will be better smoothness or performance or both?

I'm no P3D expert, but the last I heard, single core performance was still vitally important.

Simming has nothing to do with FPS anymore,

Many would disagree. It is for me. Locking at something like 30 frames per second I find unacceptable. It's a myth that the eye can't detect anything faster. The 25 frames per second is smooth notion is from cinematography, and valid due to the blurring nature of the medium. Doesn't apply to computer graphics. It requires higher frame rate to be truly smooth to the human eye. Although this does depend on individual perception.

You are not going to load up the 6700K equal to the 6950X and maintain the same smooth performance.

Are you sure of that? Those that have opted for Skylake, here on Avsim, are reporting excellent performance and smoothness. They are over the moon with their choice.

There are all kinds of notions that float around in the community. Many of them just myths, Not based on definitive evidence. When dealing with such a huge expenditure as Broadwell-E it's important to determine what is valid and what isn't.

If you have any links to "definitive" evidence I'd be very interested. But I guess we won'y know for sure until multiple users test Broadwell-E and Skylake in P3D and tell us.

Hi Martin,

I don't know of anyone who has a 6950X and is using it with P3D, nor has anyone thrown 10 cores at P3D3.3+ before... so there is no evidence either way at this point.

Those that purchased Skylake don't have a 6950X do they?.... so what P3D3 tests have they performed between the two chipsets, my guess would be none. They man be over the moon with their choice in skylake, I on the other hand may be out of the solar system with mine.

Right now I'm running a 4790K and it looks good to me, the 6950X will only make this better: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqTiCN9u_pvyU9NTqhtgJ9w

I'm not interested in any other games/software this is a flight sim only setup, P3D3.3+ takes advantage of additional cores AND is Multichannel, she will be setup to utilize all ten physical cores, I don't use Hypertreading, I only use physical cores.

Time will tell if this was the right move, but I feel VERY CONFIDENT based on the closed door conversations I've had with MANY experts in the industry. You don't throw the amount of cash I'm throwing into my sim without doing some homework, as well as spend a good deal of time talking to individuals who make the software / hardware you will be using.

We will see soon enough, the Items I purchased start arriving Monday.

Looking forward to seeing some videos once this beast is ready. 

Hans

I took a wrong turn somewhere in life and somehow wound up in the wrong tax bracket.  I'm envious of your setup and wish you a great many hours of delight from your spoils!!!

• Upvote 2

Mike

You can get into difficulites to run the mems at 3400 XMP , start at Default 2400mhz.

Hi,

I'll get her stable before it replaces the 4790K, the processor (last item) should be here on the seventh. Let the build begin.

Hi Martin,

I don't know of anyone who has a 6950X and is using it with P3D, nor has anyone thrown 10 cores at P3D3.3+ before... so there is no evidence either way at this point.

Those that purchased Skylake don't have a 6950X do they?.... so what P3D3 tests have they performed between the two chipsets, my guess would be none. They man be over the moon with their choice in skylake, I on the other hand may be out of the solar system with mine.

Right now I'm running a 4790K and it looks good to me, the 6950X will only make this better: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqTiCN9u_pvyU9NTqhtgJ9w

I'm not interested in any other games/software this is a flight sim only setup, P3D3.3+ takes advantage of additional cores AND is Multichannel, she will be setup to utilize all ten physical cores, I don't use Hypertreading, I only use physical cores.

Time will tell if this was the right move, but I feel VERY CONFIDENT based on the closed door conversations I've had with MANY experts in the industry. You don't throw the amount of cash I'm throwing into my sim without doing some homework, as well as spend a good deal of time talking to individuals who make the software / hardware you will be using.

We will see soon enough, the Items I purchased start arriving Monday.

Fair enough Mike. As I said, I only ask as it's important to me, but also important in terms of those about to build with equal financial resources to you. It's an important question to ask, because if there is no, or minimal, advantage to Broadwell-E, then it would constitute a HUGE waste of money.

You will be one of the individuals that can answer that question for us, so I look forward to hearing of your results when up and running.

Good luck with the build.  :smile: