Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Just ordered the following for P3D3.3

Hi,

Well, the updates just keep on coming... would be nice if I could purchase Win 7 Pro disc with all the updates included. :smile:

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,

Well, the updates just keep on coming... would be nice if I could purchase Win 7 Pro disc with all the updates included. :smile:

Win 10

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

First a serious question - Just wondering why you went with the Nochua vs. Water cooling ?  Do you plan to de-lid the chip or does this one ship with TIM ?

As second the lame comment - I think they DVD burner is the weak point of this setup.  All the best.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I've had a drive mess me around recently and because it's a RAID10 array I just swapped it out so the array rebuilt. And I didn't need to restore the backup from the day before, possibly losing up to a days work. I'd still be installing my system a week later if I only had the one drive. Although with four drives that's four times as likely to suffer a drive fault. The drive that went flaky was in the hottest location at the end slot. That's using 4 raptor class hard drives. I would like to see how a RAID1 pair of M.2 drives go.

Hi,

The system is running at 3.5 right now via MSI's Gaming O/C button. Nice and simple I like that, next I'll try the O/C button that will take it to 4GHZ. But not until I get Win 7 updated. Decided against water because I don't plan on overclocking in the future, I'll be running seven computers to run P3D3.3... Don't think I'll need to overclock.

As far as the DVD burner, it was only used to install win 7 Pro, I have them on DVD. I also have some other flightsim software on DVD, once the software is installed the drive will collect dust in the system. This is a F/S only setup.

I won't go to Win 10, don't want Windows updating my six figure sim with some drivers I don't want and/or need only to screw up the entire setup.

Thanks

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Win 10? Only pulling your leg Mike. I think that a BD reader would be a more reliable method of reading dodgy DVDs.

Hi,

You might not be able to buy a disc with all the updates included but you can, for about the last month, get a rollup package from Microsoft which includes most updates that were released after the release of SP1 for Windows 7 through to April 2016. See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

First a serious question - Just wondering why you went with the Nochua vs. Water cooling ?  Do you plan to de-lid the chip or does this one ship with TIM ?

Decided against water because I don't plan on overclocking in the future,

Why do you both think the Noctua is inferior? It's not. The D15 or D15S is perfectly capable of handling decent overclocks. Skylake up to 4.8, Broadwell is no issue. Surprising how many people think they "must" go for water.

Broadwell-E is soldered. It can still be delidded, if you dare. Westman posted a video recently. Gain was only 10 degrees but it can be done. The Indium solder is very soft and can be knifed off.

Why do you both think the Noctua is inferior? It's not. The D15 or D15S is perfectly capable of handling decent overclocks. Skylake up to 4.8, Broadwell is no issue. Surprising how many people think they "must" go for water.

Broadwell-E is soldered. It can still be delidded, if you dare. Westman posted a video recently. Gain was only 10 degrees but it can be done. The Indium solder is very soft and can be knifed off.

Actually I think it is a great cooler and I have the NH-14 on my system.  I was just interested in the choice with the new chips as they have been reported to run hotter and water cooling may be needed to get the desired overclock.  Even better delid, change tim and then use a water cooler....up to 20 degree difference.  These are on the Skylake chips, I am not sure about the chip used here.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hi,

Looks like Windows updates are complete. Time to install P3D3.3.

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

• Upvote 2

Add my vote to M.2's ... price to performance, much better than standard SSDs.

I didn't realize you were running 3-way SLI, you might want to consider the Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 motherboard as it can support quad X16 lanes.  That MSI board is 2 x16 and 1 x8.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: you'll probably only be GPU limited with 3-way SLI if you run SGSS AA at 4K in dense clouds

Hi Rob,

One video board will remain when I'm done. With that said, windows 7 is giving me all kinds of hell. It just won't install correctly, after install the next boot, it needs to be repaired. Time and time again.

I'm done, I going to order four 6700K's from JET LINE systems tomorrow. Just built my last system, it's just not worth the grief anymore. Just about ready to take this $1,700. chip and $400.00 motherboard and go target shooting.

It just won't install correctly, after install the next boot, it needs to be repaired.

Did you remove the DVD before it reboots?  What is the boot order in your BIOS/EFI??  It's possible the reboot is just booting back into the DVD think which then think it needs repairing.

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Rob,

Nope, it happens irregardless of DVD. Maybe windows does not know how to deal with the new equipment, either way I'm done building... It used to be fun, I've built numerous setups over the years as I chased hardware to keep my sim the best it could be... To be frank, I p####d away a ton of cash on this hobby. I just don't have the patients and/or desire to build them anymore. Bios is SSD then DVD, it's right Rob.

After this, I'd still have four more to build. I'm giving the job to Jetline.

Mike,

Don't shoot the build! You can send it to me and I promise to take a baseball bat to it if it ever acts up again!

Just trying to be of special assistance.

Kind regards,