Sign in to follow this  
ShezA

FMC altitude error P3DV3

So I am not a newbie to the FMC world having a few other payware aircraft which I am very familiar with.

1. I am following the Tutorial 1 to the letter on the flight KLAX-KLAS. Route is OSHNN6 DAG KEPEC3 FL270.
  2. I fill in the fuel (short flight) and payload
  3. I fill in the flight plan
  4. I fill in the perf init page as directed, cost index 85, FL270
  5. Activate
  6. I get an insufficient fuel warning and an unable next wpt and an unable crz alt warning
  7. I check the LEGS page and get some strange altitudes for the waypoints like 1233ft, 2343ft and so on to a max of 4320ft halfway to KLAS

Obviously with the climb profile in point 7 above at such a low calculated altitiude the FMC will determine I don't have enough fuel because I am burning it up...

What am I doing wrong?

Shehryar Ansari

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I am following the Tutorial 1 to the letter on the flight KLAX-KLAS.

What Tutorial 1 are you referring to? Our Tutorial 1 is a flight into Dubai...

Kyle Rodgers

Yes correct but I am following the same procedures other than the route.

Shehryar

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Probably an issue with how your flight plan is entered, then.

Kyle Rodgers

What model of the T7 are you using and what is your payload?

The model is the PMDG livery B777LR and the payload is random but the ZFW is around 400K lbs. I use fuel around 58K lbs.

As regards the cost index, could this value be impacting the climb rates? I tried the LOOP8 SID there are altitude restrictions on the climb out and the KEPEC3 has altitude restrictions from FL240 down to 8000. The FMC legs route shows a very low altitude for the initial waypoints then a jump to the hard altitude restriction at LAX of 10000 then a drop to low altitudes again. Could it be that the cost index of 85 might not be allowing the aircraft to climb at a good rate? Or maybe there is some other setting which I may have which is not allowing the climb to cruise.

Shehryar

Shez Ansari

As regards the cost index, could this value be impacting the climb rates?

At a TOW of about 430000 lbs. I can't imagine the CI having any impact on the climb. PFPX using a cost index of 40 shows your cruise altitude is FL410. Below is the first page of the PFPX OFP.y0tNUE.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Do Tutorial 1 using VRMM-OMDB just like it was written and then you will see what is wrong.

Good advice. Let me do that and report. Thanks.

Shehryar

Shez Ansari

Shez Ansari

Where did I do that?

Shez Ansari

Full name on all posts... I've been lurking to see what comes of this.  First, KLAX-KLAS is a very short route for a B777, normally flown by B737s reaching FL290 barely before TOD; however, it is possible to set this up and fly it in the PMDG B77L without problems.  You are having problems, therefore everyone is trying to help you sort it out.

Your climb page of the FMS indicates a TA of 11000, leading us to believe you have modified your climb either on this page or in the LEGS pages.  The TA in the US is always 18000.

Maybe you have a bad saved panel file, or maybe your weather engine is providing unrealistic temperatures at altitude.  We can only guess how your flight is being corrupted without more information.  Are you able to complete the Tutorial flight to OMDB without problem?

Dan Downs KCRP

Full name on all posts... I've been lurking to see what comes of this.  First, KLAX-KLAS is a very short route for a B777, normally flown by B737s reaching FL290 barely before TOD; however, it is possible to set this up and fly it in the PMDG B77L without problems.  You are having problems, therefore everyone is trying to help you sort it out.

Your climb page of the FMS indicates a TA of 11000, leading us to believe you have modified your climb either on this page or in the LEGS pages.  The TA in the US is always 18000.

Maybe you have a bad saved panel file, or maybe your weather engine is providing unrealistic temperatures at altitude.  We can only guess how your flight is being corrupted without more information.  Are you able to complete the Tutorial flight to OMDB without problem?

I appreciate the help.

I think the messages are getting mixed up. Message #9 above was from my attempt to do the VRMM-OMDB tutorial flight which has a TA of 11000, that is why it has been amended. The weather is clear skies. Here is another screenshot of the FMC showing the LEGS page which has very different altitudes from the tutorial flight.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=ECB38A05B7CC819E!20608&authkey=!ABHaJU3XE1YWGRA&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

Thanks.

Shehryar Ansari

Shez Ansari

Here is another screenshot of the FMC showing the LEGS page which has very different altitudes from the tutorial flight.
If you can still do it, could you post a screenshot of VNAV page 2 of 3. I believe the page is entitled "ACT ECON CRZ."

Shez Ansari