Sign in to follow this  
captain_adf

How to get started

Having no experience with XPX, but intensely curious to try my hand at flying the 6, could anyone recommend a good starter set of add-ons that would complement this bird nicely?

What kind of weather, texture, and airport scenery packages would be good to jumpstart a fresh XPX install to really enjoy the sim?

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

Skymax pro v3 , real weather connector, real terra haze, xcamera.. for a start

• Upvote 1

Yes and there are a TON of great quality FREE airports over at x-plane.org as well.

EDIT : Beaten by the above post.

Barry Hicks

From EGFF to YSSY

NOAA Weather plugin is still the best in doing the weather injection, including turbulence where reported in SIGMET reports.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

NOAA Weather plugin is still the best in doing the weather injection, including turbulence where reported in SIGMET reports.

Crap how could I forget! NOAA is a must. I highly suggest applying this simple fix to avoid having the METAR query feature crash the sim: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/72313-noaa-weather-plugin/&page=68#comment-956352

• Upvote 1

Thx for the link to that fix Felipe, I wasn't aware of it.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Skymaxx pro is a real eye-candy cloud enhancement. The best clouds shape for X-Plane. But has some disadvantages compared with default clouds or other cloud enhancement add-ons, especially on higher flight level. I recommend to compare to avoid any disappointment.

Find my free liveries for REPped aircraft models on:

banner_c210_1.png

Skymaxx pro is a real eye-candy cloud enhancement. The best clouds shape for X-Plane. But has some disadvantages compared with default clouds or other cloud enhancement add-ons, especially on higher flight level. I recommend to compare to avoid any disappointment.

It's a trade off for sure but does SMP really have poorer high altitude rendering ability than default clouds?

The coverage is limited and this visible at higher altitude, some people don't like it. For lower altiudes SMP is a perfect add-on. Just my humble opinion.

banner_c210_1.png

The coverage is limited and this visible at higher altitude, some people don't like it. For lower altiudes SMP is a perfect add-on. Just my humble opinion.

Yes I know though increasing to max range can/will have a massive impact on performance depending on the cloud cover. Haven't really messed with the default clouds; is the coverage better?

Sure, it is all depending on hardware. But even if you have a high performance PC and increased the coverage range to the maximum, it is visible that the clouds end before the horizon. The coverage of default clouds is better, but the shape of the clouds is worse. Considering the service ceiling of the DC-6, you're going to be fine with SMP. Using jet airliners at e.g. FL330 may decrease the experience.

banner_c210_1.png

All of MisterX6 airports are a must! They're all free from the .org forum, but quality is definitely on par with many payware offerings.

As above, Real Terra Haze is a must as well. And the HD runway textures, which are again free on the .org forum, I think they're in the popular downloads list.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

While I agree that there are many great addons out there - and I used all of those mentioned here at some point - I am down to standard X-Plane + HD Mesh/Scenery v3 + Airports/Planes again.

I had Skymaxx v2, v3 with and without RWC, Real Terra Haze, photoreal scenery generated with Ortho4XP and G2XP, NOAA plugin, FSGRW etc...

But at some point I remembered one of the main reasons why I changed to X-Plane in the first place: Being able to have a great looking and smoothly running sim WITHOUT the need to use many plugins/addons or to tweak CFGs.

That being said, I may give Active Sky next a try when they keep their promise to release an X-Plane addon. :rolleyes: