Sign in to follow this  
MrCube

Issues with P3d V3

Hang in there MrCube - I'd venture a guess that every P3D user has had that feeling. I actually sent it back when I first tried it - didn't have the patience. Then, seeing how many people were talkinh about how great it was, I tried again - this time I went slowly and started from scratch.

Haven't looked back since - it IS worth the effort - just remember to throw away most of what you did in FSX and start fresh - little or no tweaking is NECESSARY - get it smooth and stable first - then play with fine tuning.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Everyone  (including myself) has this syndrome:

IQ Envy.

They read about someone running P3d with all the Image Quality settings slammed to the floorboards and they can't cope with not being able to also do the same. It's human nature.

The funny thing Jay is that I've read about these systems but I've actually never seen one. I've come close on some of mine but when I read all sliders slammed and getting 60 frames across 3 monitors in a TStorm - I get a tad suspicious.

:smile:

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I wish that such an event would take you back to the scenario planning window rather, like when first starting the sim.

I recon it does not help the VAS situation either to be doing it this way, unnecessarily loading aircraft and scenery. Not that I ever crash of course.... :P

Just switch crash detection off. You will know when it happens. And for landing performance there are tools such as The Lord of The Landing

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

The funny thing Jay is that I've read about these systems but I've actually never seen one....

There's always "tomorrow". One of these days, there will be hardware which will effortlessly run P3d maxed out.

What bugs me is I can run P3d with almost every slider to the far right, except for Building Autogen. Every time I look at that slider, I feel like LM has stolen something of value from me. I deserve better. ;-)

Having to start a flight in order to alter the scenery lineup is one of the few things about the P3D UI I find inconvenient. Is there a way to access this before you fly (like FSX) or a good add-on to deal with this?

SIMStarter is what you are looking for. It has a lot of utility and needs some study for familiarization but its an awesome program and its freeware :smile:

http://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=105

The funny thing Jay is that I've read about these systems but I've actually never seen one. I've come close on some of mine but when I read all sliders slammed and getting 60 frames across 3 monitors in a TStorm - I get a tad suspicious.

:smile:

Vic

Most of us understand that it's pretty easy to witness frame rates >60 if you prefer to fly out in the sticks rather than dense urban or airport areas. It's all about balance and accepting what is and what is not possible and being prepared to move some of those sliders back a notch from time to time. In fact I prefer the set-it-and-forget-it approach rather than be forever fiddling. I have to accept there will occasionally be some downsides but I can improve things temporarily by simply switching off VSync. Clearly my rig does allow a wider range of possibilities, but I too can be frame rate challenged though not very often ;)

Mike

Bes

Most of us understand that it's pretty easy to witness frame rates >60 if you prefer to fly out in the sticks rather than dense urban or airport areas. It's all about balance and accepting what is and what is not possible and being prepared to move some of those sliders back a notch from time to time. In fact I prefer the set-it-and-forget-it approach rather than be forever fiddling. I have to accept there will occasionally be some downsides but I can improve things temporarily by simply switching off VSync. Clearly my rig does allow a wider range of possibilities, but I too can be frame rate challenged though not very often ;)

Mike

Best thing I ever did was turn off the FPS counter. The Acars in my VA averages every flight I do, and I look at it after landing, to check trends. As long as I am averaging around 30 FPS I am happy. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Haha, Said it before and I'll say it again. 30fps at 30hz is the key to silky smooth game play and lots of eye candy. :smile:

SIMStarter is what you are looking for. It has a lot of utility and needs some study for familiarization but its an awesome program and its freeware :smile:

http://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=105

As is Maarten Boelens' excellent SimLauncher X:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/453567-simlauncherx-the-freeware-tool-everyone-has-been-waiting-for/

Fully compatible with P3D v3.2. Doubtless Maarten will soon have an update for 3.3, if he hasn't already.

Regards,

Mike

Haha, Said it before and I'll say it again. 30fps at 30hz is the key to silky smooth game play and lots of eye candy. :smile:

Hi Dave,

Actually not quite true ;) I have stumbled across a different solution which is unorthodox, to say the least, and both Rob and Steve remain unconvinced. However, whatever may be the explanation, it works very well for me and Rob and Steve have seen the supporting evidence. I have to qualify this by saying that I can only cite experience on my i-7 5960X / GTX980Ti x2 setup and cannot vouch for how a similar approach would work, if at all, on 4 or 6-cored CPUs.

Quite simply: HT=OFF and AM=21760

I was using an Affinity Mask of 21760 (0101010100000000) with Hyperthreading=On in the BIOS and getting generally very good results. At one point a few weeks ago I decided to try again with HT=OFF but forgot to disable the affinity mask setting in Prepar3D.cfg. No other settings had changed and I was struck immediately how much more fluid the sim felt to fly. Further observations are suggesting that every time P3D starts this is, in some way, forcing the JOBSCHEDULER to assign the P3D main job to a random core while the remaining cores are also active to varying degrees around the main thread. However, the effect remains the same: performance is maintained with added fluidity in all but the most demanding of situations and this is with SGSSAA x4 in NI and MSAA x4 Samples in P3D.

I'm certainly not advocating that this approach will work with other setups nor am I recommending it as a solution. However, this unexpected finding is a winner for me and I'm keeping it!

Regards,

Mike