Sign in to follow this  
MrCube

Issues with P3d V3

Hello,

After many many months of research, I finally decided to change from FSX to P3d. I bought it yesterday the Academic license of P3D V3.2. I just finished downloading and installing.

It seems that this isn't as user friendly as FSX to me. First of all, I couldn't find where the Settings are. When I load the game, it always shows Scenario Setup. I cannot find the settings. To go to settings, I always have to start the game and then go to Settings.

Secondly, I installed FlyTampa Dubai. It completed the installing but then got a message saying Unable to add it to scenery and to add it through the game or something which I have no idea how.

Third, I tried installing PMDG 737 and it says FSX installation folder not found.

I am deeply confused with the procedure and I am not an expert messing with the files. Is there are a good easy solution to this? 

In addition to that, I find p3d takes some time after loading to load the scenary and aircraft. if I pause the game and resume, aircraft is sometimes invisible. 

It seems that this isn't as user friendly as FSX to me. First of all, I couldn't find where the Settings are. When I load the game, it always shows Scenario Setup. I cannot find the settings. To go to settings, I always have to start the game and then go to Settings.

There is an option within settings to display the scenario setup screen on login.

Secondly, I installed FlyTampa Dubai. It completed the installing but then got a message saying Unable to add it to scenery and to add it through the game or something which I have no idea how.

Sometimes happens when the Airport isn't entirely compatible.  Normally you can manual add it within the scenery manager.  Just select the install location and order correctly.

hird, I tried installing PMDG 737 and it says FSX installation folder not found.

Bad news, unless you have the P3D NGX you aren't going to get this working.  Sorry you need to buy the aircraft again for P3D and you'll be pleased to hear, it's a little more expensive. :mad:  

Ian R Tyldesley

Sorry, I couldn't find it? Or I don't get it? The problem is, I can't go to "Settings" page right after opening P3D. I want to be able to see the settings before I start the flight.

Where can I find the scenery manager? 

And to buy PMDG again is very disappointing as I've already spend hundreds of dollars for addons and computer parts. :(

And to buy PMDG again is very disappointing as I've already spend hundreds of dollars for addons and computer parts. :sad:

They burned a lot of trust with me on that one as well.  I didn't repurchase and may never.  Going the Airbus route instead.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Sorry, I couldn't find it? Or I don't get it? The problem is, I can't go to "Settings" page right after opening P3D. I want to be able to see the settings before I start the flight.

My fault for not being clear.  I am not in front of my PC.  If you want to go to the settings i.e. graphics, sounds, controls etc...  You have to start a flight.  If you want the main page to be the Select Scenario then you can enable that option within the menu option Settings > General Simulation Settings > Scenario startup screen.  

This page details those options, again sorry for not being able to provide any screen shots, not at home.

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/settings/simulation/general_simulation_settings.html

Where can I find the scenery manager? 

In the options menu at the top then select "world" then "Scenery Library".  After that, it should just be "Add Area".  Select the installation directory of the scenery you want to add.

And to buy PMDG again is very disappointing as I've already spend hundreds of dollars for addons and computer parts.

Well i find myself a little conflicted about this.  While i agree with Gregg above to some extent i also understand that P3D is an entirely different sim, i think it would have been perhaps a little fairer if PMDG had charged an upgrade fee rather than full price.

As Gregg above says, if you have the Aerosoft Airbus that product will work in both FSX and P3D.  Any A2A products will also need repurchasing and in fact A2A are stricter than PMDG in that they care about the type of P3D license you have.

Ian R Tyldesley

In PMDG's defense, they did offer discount for a several weeks. Flight 1 are not shy either in charging premium pricing for P3D. Milking it ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

After many many months of research, I finally decided to change from FSX to P3d. I bought it yesterday the Academic license of P3D V3.2. I just finished downloading and installing.

Looks like that your research wasn't quite deep enough.

Spirit

Having to start a flight in order to alter the scenery lineup is one of the few things about the P3D UI I find inconvenient. Is there a way to access this before you fly (like FSX) or a good add-on to deal with this?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I too view this as an irritation.  For example, if you plant your aircraft into the ground [aka crash!], you have absolutely no option but to sit back and wait for P3D to reload the default flight, which for the vast majority will be the F22 standing at RWY threshold at Eglin Air Force base. I wish that such an event would take you back to the scenario planning window rather, like when first starting the sim.

I recon it does not help the VAS situation either to be doing it this way, unnecessarily loading aircraft and scenery. Not that I ever crash of course.... :P

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thank you for the replies. 

WotanUK. I followed your steps, thank you, it got FlyTampa Dubai working. 

Spirit

Yes. I focused mainly on the game play and how it will handle on Windows 10 as I have been unable to solve FSX randomly closing on Windows 10.

Now I am having another problem with p3d. I have an old Saitek controller. I am unable to set the throttle of it to work. All other buttons works fine and some of them I even customized. But no way was I able to make the throttle to work. And it's not a problem with the controller because it works with FSX. I hope my explanation is clear? 

A little unfair, some companies (Aerosoft for example) didn't charge any additional fees; others such as A2A went overboard and even charge differently for different versions of P3D.

Is there a way to access this before you fly...

You can manually edit the scenery.cfg file in notepad.  I am not sure, but perhaps something like "SimStarter" will also do allow for modifications.

I recon it does not help the VAS situation either to be doing it this way, unnecessarily loading aircraft and scenery. Not that I ever crash of course....

Yeah, i always reboot the sim after making any changes for this reason.

Thank you for the replies. 

My Pleasure. 

I am unable to set the throttle of it to work.

Have you set this within the Axis functions of P3D, so in the controls area, then select the Throttle, then axis commands, double click on the Throttle (not Throttle 1 or 2) then simply move the Throttle?

Ian R Tyldesley

I too view this as an irritation.  For example, if you plant your aircraft into the ground [aka crash!], you have absolutely no option but to sit back and wait for P3D to reload the default flight, which for the vast majority will be the F22 standing at RWY threshold at Eglin Air Force base. I wish that such an event would take you back to the scenario planning window rather, like when first starting the sim.

I recon it does not help the VAS situation either to be doing it this way, unnecessarily loading aircraft and scenery. Not that I ever crash of course.... :P

Which is one of the reasons most people afaik disable damage and crashes. The whole damage model in P3D is mediocre at best anyway. And I always advice everyone to make a default flight of their own too, which also takes (some) care of the problem of ending up with the F22 at Eglin.

Well i find myself a little conflicted about this. While i agree with Gregg above to some extent i also understand that P3D is an entirely different sim, i think it would have been perhaps a little fairer if PMDG had charged an upgrade fee rather than full price.

As Gregg above says, if you have the Aerosoft Airbus that product will work in both FSX and P3D. Any A2A products will also need repurchasing and in fact A2A are stricter than PMDG in that they care about the type of P3D license you have.

That's true and fair.  Bottom line is they can charge what they want and say what they want...it's their business and that's entirely that.  On the other hand, I don't have to buy it again and first $60 and then $90 more was just too much and it bugged me that they didn't seem to put significant value in previous purchasers.  With the Airbus...not as detailed but really nice...it's within my budget.  With A2A you can buy a package with both installers for a very small upgrade.  Having said that, I did buy the 777 so I'm more cautious with them but still a customer for other planes.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Have you set this within the Axis functions of P3D, so in the controls area, then select the Throttle, then axis commands, double click on the Throttle (not Throttle 1 or 2) then simply move the Throttle?

Thank you so much. It worked.

However, I am at a point where I am almost ready to give up P3D. I will make the final decision when my new graphics card arrives. Right now I have a Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3. My processor is a Intel Core i5-4590. I won't be upgrading my processor anytime sooon but I today ordered for a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 graphics card. If this does not improve the frame rate, I will give up the whole thing and move on. I've already spend so much money for the FSX/P3D Project to perfect it. 

However, I am at a point where I am almost ready to give up P3D.

I know that feeling friend...but it's just a case of turning features down in order to get the best frame rate.  I am running a mid-range rig and at UK2000 EGLLv3 with the PMDG 777 i end up getting about 12fps.

Have a look at some of the excellent guides available, i believe that Rob from here has a pretty good guide (he does have a monster rig though).  I am quite sure that you will find a setting that works for you.

Ian R Tyldesley