I have been having problems with my Dell XPS 9100 for some time. I think I will replace it . The question is with what. I do photos, searching on line, FSX with add on's, and E mail. Is there a company any one would recommend? Dell may have the best computer to my knowledge, however their maintenance help desk isn't so good. I could build a computer, however I prefer to get one ready to go. 

Any helpful input is appreciated.

Thanks, Ralph

Are you looking to go laptop or desktop. Laptop systems will always come with some limitations on hardware/performance. If you are going with a desktop, why not look at custom options rather than out the box solutions which are always something of a compromise? Of course, your budget is the top driver in this too. if you do not want to build it yourself, most custom computer parts suppliers will do it for you and offer you the same levels of support and warrantee that the mainstream PC guys offer.

I have found (where I am) that for the same money, you can build a much better system than popping into your local Walmart or PC chain store for an off-the-shelf machine. Usually pre-loaded with rubbish software you don't want or need too.

A top quality motherboard, Core i7-6700K and a GTX 980Ti and some fast DDR4 RAM - that will get you flyin' high! :wink: 

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

ghutcheon,

Thanks for your reply. Give me more suggestions such as where to get the parts and what parts. 

How hard is it to get one up and running. How are problems handled etc.

You have my attention, Thanks,

R

Ralph, whilst there are some excellent off-the-shelf systems out there, you will pay a high price for them. Most ready-built systems tend to have the cheapest components that the manufacturer can source in bulk and make the most profit from. Building yourself allows you to buy the best brand-name components (like the case, motherboard, PSU and storage drives) with good reviews and long warranties. It's not difficult to build it yourself and there are numerous how-to videos on Youtube.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks to all. I had a pretty good discount from work so I bought a Lenovo. It looks pretty good.