Sign in to follow this  
iamlmc

Unable to install Simconnect with Prepar3D v3.3

I have posted this on the Prepar3D forum but since I had no responses I though it as a good idea to try it here.

Fresh Win 10 x64 Pro (all updates) installation + Fresh Prepar3D v3.3 Installation and I am unable to install SimConnect from ...Flightware\Prepar3D v3\redist\Interface folders using .msi files.

I have tried installing SimConnect.msi files located in the following folders

...\Prepar3D v3\redist\ESPv1

...\Prepar3D v3\redist\Interface\FSX-RTM\retail\lib

...\Prepar3D v3\redist\Interface\FSX-SP1\retail\lib

...\Prepar3D v3\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib

And fail to install all of them. I am always getting this error:

An error occurred during the installation of assembly
'Microsoft.ESP.SimConnect,verion="1.0.20.0",type="win32",processorArchitectue="x86",publicKeyToken="67c7c14424d61b5b".
Please refer to Help and Support for more information.

What should I do? This is the first time I had this issue (never had this error with FSX, Prepar3D v1.x, Prepar3D v2.x and Prepar3D v3.2)

Regards,
Luís

Best regards, Luís

SYSTEM (build date july, 2023): Case: Lian Li Lancool III  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI  CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor @ 6.0 GHZ  |  RAM: 128 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 4800 MHZ  |  MVMe 1: 4 TB Crucial T700 PCIe Gen 5 MVMe 2: 4TB WD Black SN850X PCIe Gen 4 Cooler: Corsair iCue H150i Elite LCD XT | PSU: Corsair HX1500i | GPU: Asus ROG STRIX Gaming 4090 OC | Microsoft Windows 11 x64 Pro

I think you need to install FSX-SP2-XPACK as a minimum, I have never installed the ESP version.

Restart the computer and try to install only the FSX-SP2-XPACK version using the .msi file and not a setup.exe (if there is any). See if that helps. The other versions are hardly ever needed. I always only install this one.

I think you need to install FSX-SP2-XPACK as a minimum, I have never installed the ESP version.

None of them work!

Restart the computer and try to install only the FSX-SP2-XPACK version using the .msi file and not a setup.exe (if there is any). See if that helps. The other versions are hardly ever needed. I always only install thi

I had already tried your suggestion... But went for another try and it didn't work. What the hell is going on? Fresh Win 10 install and fresh plain v3.3 install... I really don't get it! :fool:

Best regards, Luís

SYSTEM (build date july, 2023): Case: Lian Li Lancool III  |  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI  CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor @ 6.0 GHZ  |  RAM: 128 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 4800 MHZ  |  MVMe 1: 4 TB Crucial T700 PCIe Gen 5 MVMe 2: 4TB WD Black SN850X PCIe Gen 4 Cooler: Corsair iCue H150i Elite LCD XT | PSU: Corsair HX1500i | GPU: Asus ROG STRIX Gaming 4090 OC | Microsoft Windows 11 x64 Pro

Good job deciding to install all legacy SimConnect versions, very odd that they don't install.

ESP SimConnect is installed with P3D, did you get any errors reported with the P3D install?

Presume you installed Win10 on blank drive, installed P3D as a regular user and have not altered permissions or ownership of any folders? Win10 installed on top of old windows can create permissions problems depending on the way the system has been modified. If no errors reported during P3D install, then there should be no issue re-installing the ESP SimConnect .msi at least.

By the way, these .msi installers don't just copy a .dll they set up the system so that apps can find the interfaces without knowing the location of the software. Apps should not provide their own versions with their own software located in their own installation folders.

Best advice on these forums is to install all three FSX SimConnects for P3D because most users don't know which SimConnect version is used by which addon. SimConnect versions don't create problems or overheads unless they don't exist when they should.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

VisualC++ and +Net versions installed ?

Beware that Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable ( x86 ) is a pre-requisite.

Believe I read somewhere that the new 3.3 installer already takes care of the +Net version ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Good job deciding to install all legacy SimConnect versions, very odd that they don't install.

ESP SimConnect is installed with P3D, did you get any errors reported with the P3D install?

Presume you installed Win10 on blank drive, installed P3D as a regular user and have not altered permissions or ownership of any folders? Win10 installed on top of old windows can create permissions problems depending on the way the system has been modified. If no errors reported during P3D install, then there should be no issue re-installing the ESP SimConnect .msi at least.

By the way, these .msi installers don't just copy a .dll they set up the system so that apps can find the interfaces without knowing the location of the software. Apps should not provide their own versions with their own software located in their own installation folders.

Best advice on these forums is to install all three FSX SimConnects for P3D because most users don't know which SimConnect version is used by which addon. SimConnect versions don't create problems or overheads unless they don't exist when they should.

Regarding your remarks the only thing I can remember is this (The pic if from an earlier v3.2 install but it also happened in V3.3):

k0qc9f.jpg

But I have this issue in all previous builds (since Prepar3D v2.0) with no visible side effects, I just click ignore... Never understood why.

VisualC++ and +Net versions installed ?

Beware that Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable ( x86 ) is a pre-requisite.

Believe I read somewhere that the new 3.3 installer already takes care of the +Net version ...

I have all of the above software with latest updates.

Best regards, Luís

Are you running the installer with Admin privileges ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Are you running the installer with Admin privileges ?

Yes Sir! I guess I am going for a new fresh clean install... :nea:

Best regards, Luís

Those .msi files need not be Run as Admin. If they need starting with Admin privileges to get them to install, that would indicate an error in the system security. When we make the first Windows user, that's got Admin privileges so that he can add users and so on, does not mean permissions to files and folders. Installers should elevate to required privileges if they need them, do not start with Run as Admin unless the installed documentation says so, the installer would not pass Windows certification, however. Running as admin all the time creates more problems than it solves.

After installing P3D and before installing any addons, make sure to add the "Modify" permission to the "Users" group on the program folder (where you installed P3D), with explorer, Properties, Security, Edit, select Users group, check Modify, Apply, OK..

@AlienKarma: Olha, acho que isso é Karma mesmo :-)

Que estranho realmente...

Main Simulation Rig:

Those .msi files need not be Run as Admin. If they need starting with Admin privileges to get them to install, that would indicate an error in the system security. When we make the first Windows user, that's got Admin privileges so that he can add users and so on, does not mean permissions to files and folders. Installers should elevate to required privileges if they need them, do not start with Run as Admin unless the installed documentation says so, the installer would not pass Windows certification, however. Running as admin all the time creates more problems than it solves.

After installing P3D and before installing any addons, make sure to add the "Modify" permission to the "Users" group on the program folder (where you installed P3D), with explorer, Properties, Security, Edit, select Users group, check Modify, Apply, OK..

Thank you for the support Steve! Unfortunately no joy. It's definitely a weird issue, when googling, it shows 3 results and one of the 3 it's my post. :t0116:

https://www.google.pt/search?q=Microsoft.ESP.SimConnect%2Cverion%3D%221.0.20.0%22%2Ctype%3D%22win32%22%2CprocessorArchitectue%3D%22x86%22%2CpublicKeyToken%3D%2267c7c14424d61b5b&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Q59QV8m8Goes8wfC_5vACg

@AlienKarma: Olha, acho que isso é Karma mesmo :-)

Que estranho realmente...

Pois é... Go figure? Obrigado!

Best regards, Luís

one of the 3 it's my post

lol. Unfortunately I'm unable to come up with anything on this problem without having the machine to inspect. I hope the reinstall gets it going.