Which Broadwell-E CPU?

In regard to Broadwell-E, some may disagree, but I don't think you will see a significant difference in the sim for gaming. Thus... it could be a huge waste of money given the crazy high cost of the CPU.

I would do some very careful research. 

IPC is minimal compared to Skylake.

• Upvote 1

Which Broadwell-E CPU?

In regard to Broadwell-E, some may disagree, but I don't think you will see a significant difference in the sim for gaming. Thus... it could be a huge waste of money given the crazy high cost of the CPU.

I would do some very careful research. 

IPC is minimal compared to Skylake.

The new Skylake's use Broadwell and X99 motherboards. I want someone to go nuts and get the 10 core/20thread 6950X for $1600 :)

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

I should edit my post above. When I say IPC is minimal compared to Skylake, I mean there's a minimal "difference" in terms of IPC.

The new Skylake's use Broadwell and X99 motherboards. 

No, Skylake is Z170 Brian. Unless you mean Skylake E, and I don't think we have any idea yet what's happening with that. 

I want someone to go nuts and get the 10 core/20thread 6950X for $1600 :)

They have...

http://www.avsim.com/topic/489489-just-ordered-the-following-for-p3d33/

And the claim is that the bigger cache and more cores will make a worthwhile difference in P3D. I'm doubtful of that claim. And in terms of the HUGE cost of the 6950X I don't believe there's any way it's worth it. I would contend that there would be barely any difference between Broadwell-E and Skylake. 

• Upvote 1

I should edit my post above. When I say IPC is minimal compared to Skylake, I mean there's a minimal "difference" in terms of IPC.

No, Skylake is Z170 Brian. Unless you mean Skylake E, and I don't think we have any idea yet what's happening with that. 

They have...

http://www.avsim.com/topic/489489-just-ordered-the-following-for-p3d33/

And the claim is that the bigger cache and more cores will make a worthwhile difference in P3D. I'm doubtful of that claim. And in terms of the HUGE cost of the 6950X I don't believe there's any way it's worth it. I would contend that there would be barely any difference between Broadwell-E and Skylake. 

Maybe so with P3D, but I use my computer for 2 things. P3D and as my main brain in for my audio production/studio. Those 10 cores would make my rig a straight-up beast in Pro Tools.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Hi, I was looking at the 6900k for 8 cores. The rational is more room to off load OBS, ASN etc, and give more cores to P3D rendering. Looking at Rob As videos P3D is multi-core aware thus helping with smoothness and sharpness of terrain. I'm running 4K locked at 30hz so I'm hoping a little more grunt will keep me above that magic number.

Regards

James

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.