Sign in to follow this  
Don Quixote

Poor sounds?

Hi,

I've just bought the DC-6 and, to be honest, my first impressions are somewhat mixed due to a number of things. The biggest issue right now are the sounds:

a )  Sound is non-directional in the cockpit, i.e. when turning your head/view everything sounds exactly the same. Is this intentional or a bug?

b )  The engine sounds are present, but very quiet - what I hear is mostly what appears to be the props. The result is a loud but thin "whirring" sound instead the roar of the big engines. It seems that the sounds are exactly like in this preview video from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXnUEjgKfcU

However, they are nothing like in the sound preview vid from earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0qOndg0ro8

Was this changed for some reason? As it is, the engine sounds are very weak, even on takeoff. Also, the startup sounds are pretty much inaudible from the cockpit (although this may be realistic, perhaps).

I'm on Win 10 64bit, XP10.45, all sounds settings in the sounds menu are set to 100%.

• Upvote 1

Is this intentional or a bug?

Intentional.

The engine sounds are present, but very quiet - what I hear is mostly what appears to be the props. The result is a loud but thin "whirring" sound instead the roar of the big engines. It seems that the sounds are exactly like in this preview video from last year:

Sounds like your sound is not properly set up in Windows and/or X-Plane.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for your reply Kyle.

Intentional.

Well that's disappointing.

Sounds like your sound is not properly set up in Windows and/or X-Plane.

Are there any recommended settings for the sound? I couldn't find anything in the manual, although admittedly I only skimmed through it. Currently I have the settings at 100%:

MX7G8C4.jpg

I don't have any sound issues with other aircraft, so I believe it's something to do with the above sound settings (which, I believe, are individually set for each aircraft in X-Plane) or the DC-6 itself.

Edit: I've tried changing some of the sliders, such as reducing the "props" sound, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Only the "engines" slider changes the overall volume, but doesn't change the overall composition of the sound.

• Upvote 1

Well that's disappointing.

Thanks for the feedback. All the same, I challenge you to find a better soundset for a radial out there with such dynamic independent mixing for prop and power...

I don't have any sound issues with other aircraft

Likely because they're not going to the levels we've gone with our sound here, despite the lack of directionality currently. Do you have a default device selected in your Windows sound settings?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the feedback. All the same, I challenge you to find a better soundset for a radial out there with such dynamic independent mixing for prop and power...

No need for a challenge, although the A2A B377 and the freeware C-47 by Manfred Jahn are pretty damn good (yes, both for FSX, and probably not as accurate as the DC-6, but still). :smile:

But anyway, I'm just wondering why the sounds I'm hearing are so different from the "sound preview" video, but very much like the earlier preview video. It seems like something was changed for the later video, but then changed back to an earlier state for release - it may be intended that way, just wondering about the differences.

Likely because they're not going to the levels we've gone with our sound here, despite the lack of directionality currently. Do you have a default device selected in your Windows sound settings?

Yes, I have set up my sound settings in Windows (using an Asus Xonar ST sound card) to stereo (2 speakers), 44.1 KHz sampling rate, 16 bit. I've also disabled any "sound enhancements" like EQ, Dolby virtual speaker and such.

I've tried speakers as well as headphones, the result is pretty much the same. Using headphones, where it's possible to hear different sounds more distinctly, it's evident that the "roaring" engine sound is present, just very quiet compared to the "chopping" sound of the props. Possibly I'm wrong, but it seems more like a design choice rather than some faulty settings...

but very much like the earlier preview video.

These were artificially lowered for the duration of the video through the mixing of the inputs: the onboard audio was turned down to about 5-15%, with the microphone at 100%.

It seems like something was changed for the later video

Kinda, but only because as mentioned in the video: the sound was turned down initially to speak without shouting over the sounds, and then the sound was turned up.

Possibly I'm wrong, but it seems more like a design choice rather than some faulty settings...

Definitely not a design choice.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm not saying that this needs to be changed/fixed, but at least for me the issue is pretty much solved.

People really shouldn't be editing their sound files, so I'm going to be hiding this. Glad you've found something that works for you though.

Kyle Rodgers

Fair enough - I can understand that you don't want people editing stuff and then complaining that "it doesn't work anymore!" :P 

Happens all too often. Anyway, with the sound issue out of the way I'm starting to enjoy the DC-6, it's a mighty fine aircraft despite a couple of issues. 

People really shouldn't be editing their sound files, so I'm going to be hiding this. Glad you've found something that works for you though.

Users modifying payware aircraft to their liking have a long tradition in X-Plane (after all, a lot of aircraft still are mostly done in PlaneMaker, and there are still many aircraft using the SASL plugin with unencrypted .lua files), so it was to be expected that descriptions of user mods arise very soon :-) But I understand the support issues that can arise from that (and maybe also copyright issues; each developer handles such things differently).

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Users modifying payware aircraft to their liking have a long tradition in X-Plane (after all, a lot of aircraft still are mostly done in PlaneMaker, and there are still many aircraft using the SASL plugin with unencrypted .lua files), so it was to be expected that descriptions of user mods arise very soon :-) But I understand the support issues that can arise from that (and maybe also copyright issues; each developer handles such things differently).

Yeah, it's seemed to be more of the "do it yourself" type. All the same: if it's modified from its original state, we can't really offer support for it since it adds other complexities from the change itself.

Kyle Rodgers

Dear all,

Before modifying the actual files please set the correct volume levels in the sound options.

We recommend the following settings:

Engines                          50%

Com Radio (AFE)          80%

Avionics Fan (Panel)    50%

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Are the sounds going to be directional? Hear the same noise in the cockpit and in the tower view, is disapointing. And more disapointing when this product costs 70$...

Welcome to the forum. Full names - first and last - are required here.

I'm kinda baffled that we can provide one of the most realistic sound sets out there for an aircraft, but we're catching flak for not setting up the sounds for some kitschy fly by stuff. Having flown in radials of the Douglas ilk for a few years now, I can honestly say that there is no better sound set available.

I mean, I can kinda see a little disappointment, but people are getting ravenous about this.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm baffled that you're baffled over this:-) No matter how good anything is, ppl will always find something that makes it "not worth the 70$". You could be a doctor finding the cure for AIDS or cancer and someone would blame you for taking away jobs from global pharmaceutical corporations...its just how it works:-)

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

I'm baffled that you're baffled over this:-) No matter how good anything is, ppl will always find something that makes it "not worth the 70$". You could be a doctor finding the cure for AIDS or cancer and someone would blame you for taking away jobs from global pharmaceutical corporations...its just how it works:-)

Logikken er grei, men rimelig kynisk.  :P

Kyle Rodgers

Having flown in a real DC6 for 1 time 4 years ago (behind the engineer). Believe me... you think the soundset is bad because you know it better? Think of like "the other's do it bad"! Imagine a american on a english street "One ghost driver in news? I see MANY of them"...

I love it. Hearing the wind of change while in cruise? The prop's doing it's work? It's amazing.