Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

Essential software?

Guest Paragon

Okay, I'm getting into this whole fs9 circus again :). I'm buying a new computer and now I need to figure out what some of the essential software are. So here is my (short) list. I'm planning on flying online most of the time so I don't want/need AI traffic:- Activesky.- FSUIPC.- Long haul plane, either the LDS or PMDG.- Some terrain, I don't know which, perhaps freeware?- High quality airports....I can't think of any more right now. What would you recommend, keeping in mind that I would fly long haul aircraft, high up most of the time, and online.Thanks-Mikkel

I'd consider the following the best "must have" add-ons for what you're looking for:ActiveSky VFSUIPCUltimate TerrainFlight EnvironmentAny PMDG or LevelD planeFS Genesis Mesh and LandclassFlyTampa Airportsand last but not least...AVSIM!!Have fun!!

Guest Paragon

I just thought of another...I need some kind of flightplanning software. I have previously used FSBuild, but I don't know if there are any new/better products out today.

FS Navigator is the best planner IMHO. Besides the cumbersome interface, FS Build is a tad buggy and gave me quite a few times weird and incorrect routes.

I'm not an online flier, so you need to think about how this relates (if at all) - but I'm a recent buyer of FsCrew for my PMDG 737.I bought the 737 a while ago and flew nothing else until I got the Level D 767.Then the 767 became the preferred product.However, with FSCrew, the 737 takes on a whole different dimension: because it makes the 737 checklist driven, and because your virtual First Officer does a lot of the leg-work, I can now fly this most complex of simulated aircraft from cold & dark. It's hard to make it work, but God it's fun when it does work!e.g the FO will tell you off if you try to start the engines before the senior flight attendant has locked the cockpit door!I think the next FSCrew publication is going to be for the ATR with the Level D 767 after that.I don't have the PMDG 747, but if it's better than the Level D 767 will be with FsCrew, I'm a Dutchman, as we say in the UK!

ngxu_banner.png

Guest wildfire563

The "Wood and Desert Textures" by Marcel Aerni here at Avsim are great. I had forgotten I'd installed them. And when I compared them to BEV which I recently purchased, they compare very well, at least for flying up here in the Northeast US.FSGenesis LandclassFSGensis (Justin Tyme) Mesh (free version here at AVSIM or updated payware versions at www.FSGenesis.net)Ultimate Terrain (www.Flight1.com)KBOS here at AvsimFor clouds, I think I am using Brian C. Selb's from here at AVSIM and they look great to me on my system. Lot's of people also like the FS Sky World clouds available here as well.I'm using a reduced size AEU7 (here at Avsim for regular version).