Sign in to follow this  
Potroh

Serious ground layering bug in 3.3

What I don't understand is the meaning that we would need hundreds of airports to enjoy our hobby.

Maybe the next update to 3.4 will break all of the Aircraft that are not SDK compliant, who knows at this point ?

This move by LM is going to save me a fortune over the next couple of years.

I wont buy any more payware from this point on until P3D goes 64bit at which time I will evaluate between the available 64bit Sims, P3D, DTG and Xplane then make my choice as to which one to invest in.

Meanwhile I will enjoy 3.2 where everything works great.

• Upvote 1

Will all the conflict contained in this thread, I've decided to uninstall P3D and rather spent my efforts on "Goat Simulator". How is the ground layering there? I guess it's just grass? :P:t0148:

• Upvote 2

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Maybe the next update to 3.4 will break all of the Aircraft that are not SDK compliant, who knows at this point ?

This move by LM is going to save me a fortune over the next couple of years.

I wont buy any more payware from this point on until P3D goes 64bit at which time I will evaluate between the available 64bit Sims, P3D, DTG and Xplane then make my choice as to which one to invest in.

Meanwhile I will enjoy 3.2 where everything works great.

It's very simple, do what I have done, first read the change log and see if there is anything you need in newest version. Then wait around 3 weeks, while the "beta testers" install the latest version and see what they report. Then and only then,  decide if you want to install it or stay where you are. You will avoid 99.9% of the aggravation that way. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I am considering to update again and only flying airports which a properly working. There should be more than enough keeping my busy for months. If than later the one or other will be updated - Good!

If you can do without those airports - fine. But if you fly online you also make your choice in regard of ATC coverage. A lot of airports would be broken now with v3.3. Default is no alternative if you enjoyed a perfect scenery before.

But it might well be that LM re-looks into these issues, and it would be great to include the old SDK compatibility without breaking something else.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Just to cheer us all up.

I did a full re-install for 3.3 and painstakingly rebuilt all scenery, aircraft and traffic.

Today I uninstalled v3.3 client - 1 minute. And installed v3.2 client - 2 mins.

Re-activated and everything works as before but with Runway markings etc back as normal.

So ok for now.

Cheers

Chris

Overall, got a feeling that there is no point in investing anymore in 32 bit sims esp. when we have DTGFS on the horizon and P3D most probably getting onto the radar for next year or so.

Regards

Prayog

It's very simple, do what I have done, first read the change log and see if there is anything you need in newest version. Then wait around 3 weeks, while the "beta testers" install the latest version and see what they report.

Bob, I get the feeling that this issue will not go away by waiting three weeks,

• Upvote 1

Overall, got a feeling that there is no point in investing anymore in 32 bit sims esp. when we have DTGFS on the horizon and P3D most probably getting onto the radar for next year or so.

Regards

Prayog

Personally, I think it will be many years before DTG gets up to the level  that P3D is now. They have a long, long way to go. 

Bob, I get the feeling that this issue will not go away by waiting three weeks,

That is not what I meant, in three weeks one can tell if there are issues or not.  See and avoid. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'm not happy with this situation being another that has numerous airports affected by this change. I don't know the intricacies of why this decision was made the way it was nor should I be expected to.

All I know is that certain airports can not be used if I want to keep my P3D version up to date. I don't blame the designers who do what they must to make a product compatible with P3D and FSX and still make money. A couple of weeks ago some of these airports were the best thing since sliced bread. Now they are inferior in some way because of old code or programming techniques.

I also do not blame LM for wanting to apparently get the platform ready for whatever is down the track.

I do however think making this change at this point in time with seemingly no prior warning to be ill considered. They have in this way punished the end user, the customer.

I'm going to suggest that a better idea would have been to tell the designers that if they want to call their airports V4 compatible they have to comply with certain rules and enforce them.

howevr

Personally, I think it will be many years before DTG gets up to the level  that P3D is now. They have a long, long way to go. 

That is not what I meant, in three weeks one can tell if there are issues or not.  See and avoid. 

True that Bob, but Flightsim is the world of patience. So better to wait to have something future proof rather than short lived. I feel the evolution will not take as much as it took from FSX to P3D and thereafter. Also that competition (if DTG lives up challenge!), will eventually benefit all of us simmers. 

Having said that, sorry for deviation to the underlying topic. The way discussion went made me feel this way.

Regards

Prayog

True that Bob, but Flightsim is the world of patience. So better to wait to have something future proof rather than short lived. I feel the evolution will not take as much as it took from FSX to P3D and thereafter. Also that competition (if DTG lives up challenge!), will eventually benefit all of us simmers. 

Having said that, sorry for deviation to the underlying topic. The way discussion went made me feel this way.

Regards

Prayog

In my VA which is one of the largest, with many real world pilots, which keeps excellent stats on sim version,  the overwhelming majority of flights are still done on FSX, around 66%, P3D has shown a sharp increase in the last couple of months but is still only at 17%. Believe it or not, FS 9 is still at 13.5% and for the first time has fallen behind P3D.  X plane is at 3%.   Can you imagine how long it will be before DTG even catches up to X plane? 

I also do not blame LM for wanting to apparently get the platform ready for whatever is down the track.

I do however think making this change at this point in time with seemingly no prior warning to be ill considered. They have in this way punished the end user, the customer.

Well said.

That's why I still have the feeling LM did not know that this change to their newer layering system will that badly affect the old one.

Adam Breed posted this in the LM forum today:

All,

We are looking into the issue. We will provide more information shortly.

Regards and thanks for the feedback,

Adam

This is a great news and at the same time it also shows that they were not necessarily aware of the almost global hit, so I happily accept Rob's apology...

I'm going to suggest that a better idea would have been to tell the designers that if they want to call their airports V4 compatible they have to comply with certain rules and enforce them.

Many scenery designers would have already complied, the technical part is very easy, most of them had to chose between losing the seasons or having seasons with the old code.

Those, who make their own dlls to circumvent the lack of applying conditions in the new LM code, are also aware, that each new dll for this purpose eats up VAS...

I started this thread because nobody or just a very few were aware of the the global consequences - including the testers and perhaps LM itself.

Potroh

Hello.

This is a first appraisal without a warranty.

I keep looking forward and keep the faith in P3D and the addon-deveoper.

No flickering in:

- EDDF (Aerosoft)

- LSZH V.2 (Aerosoft)

- LKPR (Aerosoft)

- EDDT (Aerosoft)

- LDSP (Aerosoft)

- ENAT (Aerosoft)

- LOWL (Just Sim)

- LOWS (Digital Design)

- LFKJ (Ruscenery)

- EPWA (DRZEWIECKI)

- EETN (DRZEWIECKI)

- VQPR (FSDG)

- MIAMI CITY (DRZEWIECKI)

- NEW YORK CITY (DRZEWIECKI)

- WARSAW CITY (DRZEWIECKI)

- US CITIES BOSTON (Aerosoft)

- US CITIES LOS ANGELES (Aerosoft)

Texture flickering in:

- KMIA (Latin VFR)

- EDDM (T2G)

- TFFR (T2G)

- LEVC (Aerosoft, Simware)

- LGIR (FSDG)

- LGTS (FSDG)

- LIRF (Aerosoft)

- LSGG (Ruscenery)

- KPHX (Flightbeam Studios)

- uk2000

- LEIB (Aerosoft)

- LEPA (Aerosoft)

to be continued..

Oh, My, this list is terrifying!, and getting longer!

Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

In my VA which is one of the largest, with many real world pilots, which keeps excellent stats on sim version, the overwhelming majority of flights are still done on FSX

Does your VA's data include how many of those FSX users are on FSX or FSX-SE ?

My guess is that Steam users who are running FSX-SE will buy the new DTG 64bit sim which will make it the dominant platform (by numbers) within a few weeks of release.

As I write this there are 2,190 players In-Game

P3Dv3.2 has been the most stable and solid FS installation I have had since 2006 without having to reset/reinstall anything.  It's been rock solid since day one.  I'll  not even think about upscaling to incremental versions until V4.