Sign in to follow this  
fritzisbro

The new flight simulator 2016

I have a pretty good idea how hard it is to make a good world and flight simulator. What someone call mediocre I might call amazing. There's a reason why progress has been fairly slow since the release of FSX. The market is limited and the level of fidelity has reached a plateu where major improvements are hard to make. That's why I'm cautious in my expectations.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hello to my fellow PC Pilots.

My name is Ron Kolesar. AKA The Blind Pilot.

I too am looking forward to the new flight sim tproject by DTG.

All that I know is that the new flight sim is suppose to be 64 bit processor based.

But how can a blind person fly?

We use the following three programs that work hand in hand together.

1. FSX.

2. the com bridge of a program FSUIPC.

3. most importantly for blind pilots or BVI Pilots everywhere is the third party program called Its Your Plane or for short IYP from Canada.

Check out some of their you tube videos out on their web page of blind people flying both for private GA flights and for their virtual career via the IYPVA mode at:

www.itsyourplane.com

Now please help me to make steam more accessible to we the blind gamers.

We've written and we've made phone calls and all we get is voice recording to leave messages.

Well, they don't return messages nor do they return e-mail letters.

So we hope that you'll write on their face book page like we all did still with no results.

But here is their contact info.

Valve Software

Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx

Via E-mail at

Gabe Newell

gabenatvalvesoftwaredotcom

Here's to December from what I was told for the new flight simulator.

Here's hoping we can simply down load it to our computers instead of having to go through STEAM since we can not make STEAM accessible to everyone.

There are web pages out on the internet on how to make web pages accessible.

Also, one more thing.

most companies these days offer a audio challenge.

Where they will give from a fivet to a nine digit code one digitat a time.

you simply type in what you hear into the field and tab over to the correct button, click on it via your enter key and you're in.

But Valve Software won't even do that much.

Now thyre based here in the states and we have the American's With Disabilities Act here in the states.

So, how can they get away with not making their web page accessible to everyone?

I thank you.

Ron Kolesar AKA The Blind Pilot.

Edited by Jim Young
Removed phone number and fixed e-mail so spammers cannot use it.

I have a pretty good idea how hard it is to make a good world and flight simulator. What someone call mediocre I might call amazing. There's a reason why progress has been fairly slow since the release of FSX. The market is limited and the level of fidelity has reached a plateu where major improvements are hard to make. That's why I'm cautious in my expectations.

The problem is one of scale. Making a city look fantastic,  like in GTA V,  is possible with a modern PC. Scale that up to the whole world, and things become much more difficult. Unless you want constant loading, which we don't think is the way to go.

- Martin 

• Upvote 2

Probably most addons will get compiled on 64bit for free. Simply redownload. Unless the new sim looks better than x-plane, I won't bother. They should drop the sick FSX graphics flickering and go with Vulkan for VR on crossplatform.

Erm.... It will be a totally different sim, not an upgrade or update of anything we already have. In any case, I'd rather install add-ons made for the sim, instead of older recompiled stuff.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The problem is one of scale. Making a city look fantastic, like in GTA V, is possible with a modern PC. Scale that up to the whole world, and things become much more difficult. Unless you want constant loading, which we don't think is the way to go.

- Martin

Aa I said, I have a pretty good idea. I've been working with the FSX and P3D Terrain SDKs for years. While the Global Terrain was amazing in 2006 it is staring to show its age, and even though Prepar3D has been in development since 2009 they haven't really done anything with the basic terrain engine. It's still vectors on top of landclass, no sloped runways, stretched textures on mountains and cliffs, limited LOD radius, optimization problems (simultaneous loading of autogen, mesh, vectors and textures to avoid blurries, popping etc.), inaccurate depiction of Arctic and Antarctic areas, to mention just a few challenges.

It is no easy task to make a more realistic Global Terrain Model, and as we know, there are very few successful attempts out there. Hence, I have realistic expectations as to what is possible within the limits of realistic budgets. Microsoft spent 15-20 million USD making FSX. Realistically you'd have to spend at least the same amount today to make a significant leap forward.

As a dedicated simmer I'm really curious and excited to see how and what you have prioritized in the new sim, and last but not least, get an idea of where you're taking it in the future.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!