Sign in to follow this  
Kensta1092

[P3Dv3] OpusFSI Grabs Weather from Yesterday

Hello there,

I've been using OpusFSI for a pretty good while, and I have to say, it is great since it also has live camera integration with its own self-controlled DHM and live weather engine - except for one problem:

I live in the Philippines, and, as such, we are a day ahead in contrast to the rest of the world. Due to that, when I fire up OpusFSI's Live Weather engine, I've observed closely: the weather isn't really the weather as it is right now. When I looked into the Spy console, I saw that it grabbed GRIB data from "our yesterday" - your today (or tonight). I know I am really obsessive-compulsive, but I can't help it when it comes to these small things.

Is there any way to remedy this, or is it held back by the servers that upload the GRIB data/other external factors?

I patiently await your reply,

Kensta

OpusFSI uses Universal (or Zulu) time of course so make sure your computers clock is set up correctly and with the correct time zone. Note also that the GRIB data cycle is always behind the current Zulu time. It can be quite a few hours behind but will still be the current data. The GRIB data file actually contains forecast data for the next 15 days at an hourly resolution.

Also check your Weather dialog and make sure you do not have the 'Historic Weather' option ticked, or any of the 'Import METAR...', 'Enable World Weather Theme', or 'Relocate Weather' options set.

Stephen :-)

N.B.

GRIB forecasts are cycled (produced) every 6 hours, each forecast containing up to 15 days worth of forecast data. Forecast cycles are usually posted on the NOAA server after a delay of between 2 and 9 hours.

Oh, I don't have Historic Weather ticked on, will try. Also, what do you mean to have my PC clock set, because I have it set to my country's timezone - UTC +0800 (unless if there's something special)

Will update when I'm through with a planned cross-country flight! Really enjoying the realistic weather when I ignore that minor problem.

Just make sure your PC is configured with the correct time zone settings and that its clock is set correctly (for your local time). You can also set it to sync automatically over the Internet.

Current METARs won't be affected as it always reads the most recent if the Historic Weather option and other options do not override it. GRIB data on the other hand can only be requested for the current date and time period, hence your PC clock should be approximately correct. That still means it accesses the last 6 hourly cycle data based on the UTC (Zulu time) which for you might be yesterday's date.

Stephen

You can of course examine the METAR statements and check the METAR report's day and time code. This METAR day/time code is also displayed in the opus on screen weather reports.

The GRIB text reports and on screen Upper Atmosphere report also shows the date and cycle time code for the GRIB forecast data.

Remember, all of these are UTC (Zulu) dates and times.

Stephen