Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

DC-6 Manuals and Docs

2 hours ago, 19AB67 said:

but I have to figure out the proper moment in the course of the flight to switch tanks. 

Use the chart on page 56 after reading the entire fuel section in the POH.  Basically, you switch tanks when you have to.

Climb on mains then in cruise switch to aux tanks.  When inboard aux are almost empty switch inboard engines to main, outboard engines remain on aux until those are almost empty.  Then switch each pair of engines to the main on that side with xfeed1&2/3&4 until inboard mains are drawn down to same level as outboard mains.  Then switch to main tank to each engine for remainder of flight.  Keep it simple.

Dan Downs KCRP

17 hours ago, 19AB67 said:

I am especially interested in the tank management; 

I'll see if I can drag up my post from earlier. It was my own take on fuel management, but the gist of it is:

• Mains for TO/Climb
  • Aux at cruise (open crossfeeds, and shut off appropriate tanks to balance the fuel first, then tank/eng)
  • Switch to mains as Aux empty (I usually leave a couple hundred pounds in them)
  • Continue on mains (open crossfeeds, and shut off appropriate tanks to balance the fuel, then tank/eng)
  • Confirm mains descent/app/landing

Kyle Rodgers

19 hours ago, downscc said:

Climb on mains then in cruise switch to aux tanks.  When inboard aux are almost empty switch inboard engines to main, outboard engines remain on aux until those are almost empty.  Then switch each pair of engines to the main on that side with xfeed1&2/3&4 until inboard mains are drawn down to same level as outboard mains.  Then switch to main tank to each engine for remainder of flight.  Keep it simple.

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I'll see if I can drag up my post from earlier. It was my own take on fuel management, but the gist of it is:

• Mains for TO/Climb
  • Aux at cruise (open crossfeeds, and shut off appropriate tanks to balance the fuel first, then tank/eng)
  • Switch to mains as Aux empty (I usually leave a couple hundred pounds in them)
  • Continue on mains (open crossfeeds, and shut off appropriate tanks to balance the fuel, then tank/eng)
  • Confirm mains descent/app/landing

Dan, Kyle, thank you, the first 'long-distance' with DC-6 shall come during the weekend! 

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:26 AM, mgeiss said:

Navigational charts like enroute charts with high/low airways, navaids etc. of course are not part of the POH. You will need to get those through separate sources like Skyvector etc.

An excellent source for authentic navigational charts covering the time period the DC6B was in use by United Airlines from the late 1940s to the mid 1960s is Amazon.com.  There you will find the original charts used by the airlines of that period available at both auction and for sale. They are principally available for flights within the US. I've got and use a bunch of them.

These are the charts issued by the CAA (FAA forerunner) and are beautifully done showing, in most cases, both VOR and low frequency range airways and a wealth of other information. Instrument landings were only done using  VOR, ADF, and ILS.

"//" out the GPS, SATNAV, and all the rest of that newfangled stuff from your DC6B instrument .cfg, grab your 50 pound flight bag, and learn to fly like a grizzled old-timer!  It's a whole new world and a lot of fun! 

11 minutes ago, Quink said:

"//" out the GPS, SATNAV, and all the rest of that newfangled stuff from your DC6B instrument .cfg, grab your 50 pound flight bag, and learn to fly like a grizzled old-timer!  It's a whole new world and a lot of fun! 

Best not to modify the panel config, as it can cause issues. There's an option in the Options panel to remove the GPS for you.

Kyle Rodgers

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Best not to modify the panel config, as it can cause issues. There's an option in the Options panel to remove the GPS for you.

Good catch Kyle!  Actually I was just joking but I overlooked the fact that not everyone shares my twisted sense of humor.

Thanks, Quink

Documents& Manuals are no longer in Operation Center.

Where are they?

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

On 8/15/2017 at 1:22 PM, asanal said:

Documents& Manuals are no longer in Operation Center.

Where are they?

I tried to find If I am doing some thing wrong. IT looks OK.

May be I should re install OC, but some member can verify  me, if they have the documents in their OC.

Thanks

Ahmet Sanal

3 minutes ago, asanal said:

(...), but some member can verify  me, if they have the documents in their OC.

Thanks

Definitely in my OC, just checked. (DC-6 installed in FSX-SE.)

Did you select the DC-6 in the OC?

Oliver Märtens (Maertens)

Oliver,

Thanks for your reply.

PMDG Operating Center:

I am selecting PMDG DC-6 P3D v4  (or any other air planes) no Documents&manuals are appearing

Ahmet Sanal

16 hours ago, asanal said:

Oliver,

Thanks for your reply.

PMDG Operating Center:

I am selecting PMDG DC-6 P3D v4  (or any other air planes) no Documents&manuals are appearing

You sure you're selecting the version of the plane that you have installed?

e.g. If you only have the DC-6 installed in FSX, you must select the FSX DC-6 in the drop down list, and then once it's selected, click on the appropriate option over on the left side (not in front of my sim computer at the moment, but over on the left where you see the Livery Manager/Downloader and so on, there should be a button for docs/tutorials/similar).

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle.

Thanks for your help.

I did followup your  instruction, but result was same.

I re-installed  DC-6 P3Dv4. Documents and manuals are appeared in PMDG Operating Center.

Problem solved

Ahmet Sanal

In the process of setting up my documentation before flying the DC-6 in V4.  Found the "Introduction" manual was corrupted so I can't use it.  Went into the OC, pulled down the DC-6 for V4 and found the tab for "Documentation" and clicked on that.  It then showed me the 4 manuals for the DC-6.  I clicked, then double clicked, then right clicked on the "Introduction" manual but nothing happens.  Would expect it to download or open the manual but it's just dead.

Would appreciate any help on getting the manual re-downloaded.  Thanks,

Garry Lundberg

Garry Lundberg

46 minutes ago, flytriman said:

In the process of setting up my documentation before flying the DC-6 in V4.  Found the "Introduction" manual was corrupted so I can't use it.  Went into the OC, pulled down the DC-6 for V4 and found the tab for "Documentation" and clicked on that.  It then showed me the 4 manuals for the DC-6.  I clicked, then double clicked, then right clicked on the "Introduction" manual but nothing happens.  Would expect it to download or open the manual but it's just dead.

Would appreciate any help on getting the manual re-downloaded.  Thanks,

Garry Lundberg

Some users report that their links to documents in the OC don't work, not sure why.  Did you run the PMDG installer with admin rights?  Regardless, the documents are there if you look for them.  Look in your <p3d>\pmdg\pmdg dc6\manuals (or something like that) folder.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you...but I did find the manuals...it's just that the "Introduction" manual is corrupted and I need to download a new one and OC is not working to allow me to do that.

Any other ideas of how to get a replacement manual?

Garry Lundberg